Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

on the wrong track

on the wrong track

Date: Sep 26 2002

1. Quote - Listen to the quote and guess what the slang means.

“If your shoes are scuffed, you’re going to have a problem. If you’re wearing jeans, you’re on the wrong track.”
- P. Diddy’s invitation to his MTV Video Music Awards party.

Definition

1. Definition - Study the definition.

doing something wrong; thinking about something in the wrong way; thinking incorrectly; making a mistake

2. Use - Learn how the slang is used.

On the wrong track” is a great phrase to use if you want to describe someone who is doing something wrong. It can be used with regard to unimportant things, or related to very important life decisions. For example, if your brother is looking for his shoes in his bedroom, but you know they’re actually in the kitchen, you could tell him he’s on the wrong track. Or, if you have a friend who is doing very poorly in school, you could tell her she is on the wrong track – and that she better study more often.

Examples

1. Examples - Hear some example sentences.

””I was on the wrong track when I was studying science. I didn’t like it at all. I changed my major to history and now I enjoy school a lot more.”“

””Dude, you are totally on the wrong track. You need to stop thinking about Michele. She’s not the girl for you. You should go out with Jessica. She is so cool! I don’t understand why you keep wasting your time with Michele when you could be with Jessica instead.”“

””Michael started out on the wrong track in life. He got into a lot of trouble when he was a teenager. Then, when he went to college he decided that he needed to get serious about life. He’s doing great now.”“

””Mary, you’re totally on the wrong track with that outfit. You can’t wear those green pants with that orange shirt. They look terrible together. You should change as soon as possible.”“

Winners

1. Winners - See who guessed the slang definition correctly.

I think it means to be on the wrong track to not be in style or what is going to be popular or to guess something wrong.
by Jeong-Hoon
On the wrong track could be mistaken, different way, not right and incompatible..!
by Christine (Muar, Johor, Malaysia)
I think “on the wrong track” means we are doing in the wrong way.
by Salai (Indianapolis, Indiana USA)
On the wrong track means thinking incorrectly.
by Roshanak (Tehran, Iran)
On the wrong track means making mistakes
by Edward (Beijing, China)
I guess that if you’re on the wrong track, you didn’t get the right idea about something, and is thus probably doing the wrong thing.
by Ana (Belo Horizonte – Brazil)
I think this week’s slang ‘on the wrong track’ means ‘to do or think about something in a wrong way’ or ‘to mistake something’.
by Freddie (Shantou, China)
I think that it´s mean that you are in the wrong place, you choose the wrong possibility.
by Claudia (Colombia)

Want to guess next week's slang?

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Comments

sally_gallego

Philippines

You are on the wrong track of courting me.ehe.

01:00 AM Feb 23 2016 |

Likes (5):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast