Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

over the top

over the top

Date: May 06 2004

1. Quote - Listen to the quote and guess what the slang means.

“The risk is always being over the top in my mind. That was something that Gary and I worked really hard on together was to try to walk a line of having fun with it but also be honest and truthful. And because something isn’t funny if there isn’t a bit of honesty, but at the same time, it has to be funny. Honesty is also kind of sitting and staring into space. You don’t want to do that either.”
- Jennifer Garner, talking about her new movie 13 Going On 30.

Definition

1. Definition - Study the definition.

too far; to excess; to the extreme; too much

2. Use - Learn how the slang is used.

You can say that something is “over the top” when it overwhelms you. When it’s too much for you. For example, if you’re eating a dessert that is very, very, very sweet, you could say that the dessert is “over the top.” Or, if you’re in a beautiful place and the weather is perfect, you could say that the place is “over the top.”
Funny movies can often be over the top. Action movies are almost always over the top. Hopefully, most parties are over the top. Some people can be over the top. Places can be over the top.
Any time something you’re experiencing is too much for you to handle, you could say that it’s “over the top!”

Examples

1. Examples - Hear some example sentences.

””Natasha always has fun parties, but her birthday party last week was over the top. There were hundreds of people there and all of them were acting totally crazy!”“

””Jeff’s Halloween costume this year is over the top. He’s going to dress up as an alien astronaut. He made the whole costume himself and it took him 4 months!”“

””I don’t like New Orleans. It’s way too over the top for me. I can’t handle all of those people in the streets. It’s fun to see on TV, but I wouldn’t want to go there.”“

””The Rock’s latest movie is totally over the top. It’s a great action movie, but it goes a bit too far sometimes.”“

Winners

1. Winners - See who guessed the slang definition correctly.

It meams to be sick of something that has been exagerated
by Paola (Pasto, Colombia)
“The risk is always being over the top in my mind”. In this context, over the top means excessive. The actress always like to take chances no matter what.
by Orlando (Boynton Beach, United States)
Too much; excessive
by Peggy (Kaohsiung, Taiwan)
Over the top = Great, Extreme, Enormous
by Asad (Karachi, Pakistan)
over the top” means something more extreme than what is considered normal.
by emily (Qinhuangdao, China)
outside your normal expectation
by tony (Hong Kong, China)
To be over the top means to be the most important, more important than the importants, to have top priority.
by Valeria (Tempio, Italia)
I think it means of great importance, very important thing.
by Gang (Shenzhen, China)
If a thing is “over the top” of your mind, it means it is the first and the most important thing to consider.
by Lucy (Toronto, Canada)
over the limit
by Elizabet (Edmonton, Canada)
I guess it means here overwhelming, have a controlling position, something like that.
by Sherry (ShenZhen, China)
Over the top means always put at an very important position, always pay much attention or allert to that, and then take some action on that.
by Cynthia (Toronto, Canada)

Want to guess next week's slang?

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Likes (4):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast