Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Royal Wedding
Royal Wedding

Second Conditional

Date: May 06 2011

Themes: Family, Romance

Grammar: Second Conditional

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

From the wild hats to the public kiss on the balcony of Buckingham Palace, the British royal family knows how to put on a good wedding. Prince William’s wedding to Catherine Middleton last week was one of the most anticipated events of the year. Over 600,000 Brits crowded into the streets to celebrate the marriage, and 2 billion people worldwide watched it on TV. Some even got up in the middle of the night in order to watch the wedding take place live!

But not everyone is that thrilled about the royal wedding. To some, it seems like a waste of money at a time when the British economy is suffering. Others find all the pomp and circumstance surrounding the wedding to be a little over the top. Find out if Marni and Amy were among the 2 billion who tuned in to see William and Kate wed.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Marni

Marni

Amy

Amy

Marni:  So, you’re not one of those people who like got up at the crack of dawn to watch the royal wedding, are you?

Amy:  Oh my God, are you kidding? Of course I did! Who could miss it?

Marni:  Really? It just seems so over the top, like all the pomp and circumstance, and the pageantry, and…

Amy:  But that’s what’s so great about it! I mean, who doesn’t want to see a real-life princess, you know, in a tiara, with a beautiful long train, in a gorgeous cathedral. Handsome prince, centuries-old tradition. It’s magical!

Marni:  OK, OK. Alright. Yes, granted, I’ll give you all that. But it’s just, in this day and age, it seems so irrelevant. I mean really, why is there a royal family? It’s just, there’s so much put into this, and it seems so silly to me.

Amy:  So you’re telling me if somebody came up to you right now and said, “Marni, I want you to be a princess,” you would say no thank you?

Marni:  Probably. Yeah. I’m just not that interested in being a princess. But I’ll pass your name along.

Amy:  Yes!

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "Second Conditional" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Amy got up very early in the morning in order to watch the royal wedding take place live. Marni can’t believe it. She thinks the pomp and circumstance surrounding the wedding of William and Catherine is totally over the top. She doesn’t understand why everyone gets so excited about the royal family.

To Amy, the royal wedding was magical. It was like a real-life fairy tale. She loved all the tradition and pageantry it involved. Marni says she wouldn’t want to be a princess, but Amy definitely would.

Did you think the royal wedding was magical or silly? Does your country have a royal family? How do you feel about monarchies?

Learn the phrase fill someone’s shoes in another lesson about the royal wedding.

Comments

Jennifersmith

Belgium

Hatton Garden wedding rings - Rennie & Co diamond jewellery Hatton Garden London crafts beautiful pieces of jewellery, contemporary jewellery, diamond earrings, engagement rings, eternity rings, wedding rings, pendants

10:09 AM Oct 06 2015 |

CheerlyBobLand

China

In China, no family, no fair. The traditional exam-oriented education killed people, moral decay, food insecurity, bus bumped.

02:45 AM Jun 24 2013 |

Nina__smith

Australia

that was very nice wedding they are prince and princess, i watched that wedding on the TV.

01:43 PM Oct 20 2012 |

Fernandinha

Brazil

I was one of those people who got up early in the morning to watch the royal weeding take place live. For me, it was beautiful. I watched some movies about the British monarchy long time ago and while I was watching the wedding on TV, I thought about how interesting are its stories. My country has a royal family, but we don’t hear many things about them because our governmental system is not a monarchy.

01:42 AM Jul 05 2011 |

xiaoqzff

United States

welcometo: http://www.fullmalls.com The website wholesale for many kinds of fashion shoes, like the nike,jordan,prada,**, also including the jeans,shirts,bags,hat and the decorations. All the products are free shipping, and the the price is competitive, and also can accept the paypal payment.,after the payment, can ship within short time.   free shippingcompetitive priceany size availableaccept the paypalhttp://www.fullmalls.com jordan shoes $32nike shox $32Christan Audigier bikini $23Ed Hardy Bikini $23Smful short_t-shirt_woman $15ed hardy short_tank_woman $16Sandal $32christian loubo utin $80Sunglass $15COACH_Necklace $27handbag $33AF tank woman $17puma slipper woman $30http://www.fullmalls.com http://www.fullmalls.comhttp://www.fullmalls.comhttp://www.fullmalls.comhttp://www.fullmalls.com

01:00 AM Jul 02 2011 |

!!!DZERUCCI!!!

Russian Federation

During and after their wedding they made more money then they spent! It wasn’t a secret

09:09 PM Jul 01 2011 |

happy 4 ever

Oman

it was nice wedding but over the topmoney could be used in a better way

06:36 PM Jun 26 2011 |

fercho_charming

Colombia

Ok, This is the most stupid thing I’ve seen ever; First of all, That all was an absolutely waste of money, money which, to my mind, could be used in a better way, or with a better purpose (Poorness, hungryness, etc); Plus, He’s a prince, She wasn’t a princess yet, instead, she was a common girl; Ok, So what?

I actually don’t know what’s that “Special thing” in that royal wedding, to me, that’s a wedding like any other one, but in this, they wasted a lot of money which, as I said before, could have been used in a better way! That’s it!

12:41 AM Jun 10 2011 |

!!!DZERUCCI!!!

Russian Federation

It was smth unreal! It’s a VERY beautiful couple!!! I wish them to be happy!!!

05:49 PM Jun 08 2011 |

Stubburn

Stubburn

Ukraine

hhmm… sorry, it’s your own opinion. I think you wouldn’t share it with others. thank you.

09:04 AM May 29 2011 |

midnight_nightmare

Spain

In my country it happens just the same. A prince married to a regular non princess girl. But why do we keep on with this stupid monarchie traddition? I the past a prince has a very high standing lifestyle, they got a lot of money but however … they couldn’t choose their wifes, and they had allways to marry to an awfull princess, and that made us feel better. But now, they can marry to a cute girl and they still have a lot of money. I totally hate them! And i hate royal family as well.

12:27 AM May 23 2011 |

GrettaFox

Macedonia

Beautiful photo!

04:02 PM May 11 2011 |

1 person likes this

Olya1106

Olya1106

Ukraine

The royal wedding was fantastic. I watched it on BBC channel. Kat and William was very happy. Kat’s wedding dress also was very beautiful. All wedding ceremony was like in fairy-tale. I’d like to visit London one day. It’s a beautiful city. 

09:28 AM May 11 2011 |

Leesinger

Leesinger

China

i just watched it through TV in shanghai,china,and only a small part of it..it’s cool,and significant for the UK i think…

03:28 PM May 09 2011 |

lolekesh

lolekesh

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

I saw this simple wedding live and I enjoy it:)

05:40 PM May 08 2011 |

OlgaSummer

OlgaSummer

Ukraine

Nice to hear from you, dear! I absolutely agree with you. That was cool and I am  on Amy’s side)))

02:42 PM May 08 2011 |

anahid goddess

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

I think this is a show  not more .

but I hope that they  be happy  .

07:21 AM May 08 2011 |

Sébastien de Poésie

Croatia

good PR for the monarchy… nothing more… 

10:22 PM May 07 2011 |

EBI

EBI

Saudi Arabia

I’m totally agree with Marni
Who cares !!!!! 

08:22 PM May 07 2011 |

Stubburn

Stubburn

Ukraine

hello ^^ i saw this wedding on TV. I think it was really fantastic! I believe that newlyweds are really happy. Whish them happiness and big health!

06:51 PM May 07 2011 |

Likes (53):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast