Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in
So much / Much more/ Even more so / A great deal (of)

So much / Much more/ Even more so / A great deal (of)

Date: Oct 19 2011

Topic: Grammar

Author: nad1a

Lesson

Study the examples below and answer the questions at the end.

So much

·         If she wins the award, so much the better for the team.

·         The ideas of the candidates are so much alike that he could see no difference between them.

·         There's been so much rain the crops are rotting in the fields.

·         The report sounded like so much baloney.

·         The agency charged so much.

·         So much for the real story behind this sensational trial.

·         It didn't matter so much when you were a little girl, but now you are so tall, and turn up your hair, you should remember that you are a young lady.

·         Still there is so much obscurity in the Indian traditions, and so much confusion in the Indian names, as to render some explanation useful.

Much more

·         International adoptions by Americans became much more common after the Korean War when American servicemen fathered interracial children with Korean women.

·         Apple's New Siri Feature is Much more Than Simple Voice Commands

Even more so

·         Walking around in a bathing suit causes instant panic for plenty of people, but even more so if you're overweight or obese.

·         Fitness is a vague concept and because of this the notion of how to work out is even more so.

·         Back-to-school season is an especially unique time for children who are in the throes of changing schools. Even more so if they come from another state or country.

A great deal (of)

·         I have thought a great deal about that lovely England since I left it, and all the famous historic scenes I visited; but I have come to the conclusion that it is not a country in which I should care to reside.

·         And yet I have heard that there is a great deal of wine drunk in Oxford.

·         As Adoption Navigators specializes in international adoption, a great deal of emphasis is placed on the international adoption process. 

·         Birth parents, who surrender a child for adoption, typically experience a great deal of stress. 

Use the expressions to fill the blanks in the sentences:

·         The big problem here is that a lot of people don't seem to actually understand what that is and, ______, how exactly to get it. 

·         Is it true that Americans Work ______ Than Europeans?

·         I know you make a ______of money by this kind of thing, but consider the damage you inflict upon the business of others.

·         What you just read in that magazine which seems to cause you ______excitement.

Comments

Shirin 1801

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

Nice job…thnx

I printed them out :)

06:12 AM Dec 17 2012 |

Irene Forever

Ukraine

It’s a very useful lesson.

Thanks a lot.

12:03 AM Dec 17 2012 |

Likes (4):