Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

fly

简体
fly
fly

Date: Dec 08 2016

1. Quote - Listen to the quote and guess what the slang means.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

I am constantly thinking about my own health and making sure that I’m eating right, and getting exercise, and watching the aches and pains. I want to be this really fly 80-90-year-old.

—First Lady Michelle Obama, speaking about staying healthy (brainyquote.com)

Definition

1. Definition - Study the definition.

cool, hip

2. Use - Learn how the slang is used.

Quick: Imagine the coolest person you can think of. What do they do? How do they act? What is it about them that makes them so cool? Is this person someone you know? Or is it a musician you admire or an actor you think is very talented? Whoever this person is, you could also describe them as fly. If someone is fly, they are awesome in every way. They dress well, do amazing things, and have an all-around attitude of coolness.

Perhaps, the coolest person you can think of is someone who has accomplished many great things in their life, like First Lady Michelle Obama. Many people think Michelle Obama is already pretty fly. However, she wants to live a long time and accomplish even more things in life. Because of this, she eats healthy, gets a lot of exercise, and takes good care of herself, so she can be a super fly 80-90-year-old!

What do you do to stay healthy?

Examples

1. Examples - Hear some example sentences.

“Matt’s new car is fly.”

“Those are some fly sunglasses. Where’d you get them?”

“Dave is totally fly. I want to be just like him.”

Winners

1. Winners - See who guessed the slang definition correctly.

julito1 Nice-looking - Stylish
by julito1
a2020 Having good and healthy body.
by a2020

Want to guess next week's slang?

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Comments

Mirell_Nova

United Arab Emirates

To stay fly I also following wellness life style and do sport

03:20 AM Jun 25 2018 |

englishteacher24/7

United States

When I retired from my job, one of my co-workers last words to me was, “Stay Fly!”

09:32 PM Jun 22 2018 |

ahmadnadri

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

I try to stay healthy and fly by eating healthy.

06:50 PM Jun 22 2018 |

1 person likes this

noter

noter

Turkey

I can not be a fly man. Because I am eating a lot. I can’t move a lot in a day. I use my car for everything. For this reason, I am not fit.

06:54 AM Jun 21 2018 |

1 person likes this

hermitlady

China

I can’t get the meaning of the word “fly” with Chinese exactly.  I guess it may not be “a fly”, isn’t it? I don’t know.

I did not aware the importance of  healthy when I was young until someday , I got a heavy cold lasted half a month which made me depressed , powerless, uninterested doing anything.  When I got refreshed from that illness at last , it suddenly occurred to me that the healthy turned to be so beautiful .

So, I began to do something to stay healthy. I like sports. So, I go to work by foot every work day. I play table tennis in free time.

Then, I began to reduce the amount of dinner and early to bed. Besides, I read some books as possible as I can. It also is a way to consume excess energy through learning with brain. 

02:39 AM Jun 21 2018 |

1 person likes this

Hi_toyou

Kuwait

Hi

03:47 PM Dec 09 2016 |

Likes (10):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace