Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

gent

gent

Date: Jul 06 2017

Themes: Celebrity, News

1. Quote - Listen to the quote and guess what the slang means.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

“Ah, dear Adam West. He was always so kind when we met. A real gent. Once when I was a kid, we found ourselves in front of the Batmobile. I got in.”

—Actor Val Kilmer, speaking about the death of Adam West, the original Batman (Twitter)

Definition

1. Definition - Study the definition.

gentleman; kind and intelligent man

2. Use - Learn how the slang is used.

There are many different types of men in this world. But any type of man can be kind and helpful. He could call his mother every weekend just to say hi. He might carry groceries for an older person. Or he may sit and talk to a friend who has had a difficult day. A man like this is probably also very handsome and a good dresser. We might say that he is a real gent.

Gent is short for gentleman, and a gentleman is the best kind of man. Actor Val Kilmer played Batman in the popular movie Batman Forever. However, Adam West was the original Batman in the 1966-1968 TV show. When Batman movies became popular later, Adam West always helped the actors who played Batman. Sadly, Adam West died recently. Val Kilmer remembers that he was always helpful and kind, a real gent.

Who do you know that is a real gent? What type of personality does this person have?

Examples

1. Examples - Hear some example sentences.

“Your brother is such a gent. He’s polite and helpful!”

“Tom always helps his girlfriend. He’s a real gent.”

“Can you teach me to be a fashionable gent?”

Winners

1. Winners - See who guessed the slang definition correctly.

a nice and gentle person
by La Princesse de la vie

Want to guess next week's slang?

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Comments

berlucchi

berlucchi

Italy

The real gentleman doesn’t pray and he helps everybody man woman child and animal.

The gentleman doesn’t ask nothing and do what he thinks is better.

06:09 PM Jul 06 2017 |

1 person likes this

Sid_indore

Sid_indore

India

I am a gent….:P

12:23 PM Jul 06 2017 |

hermitlady

China

Lionel Andres Messi , is a real gent. François Hollande is a real gent. Such as those men all are real gent.

A real gentleman is not necessary  rich and handsome , but he must love his parents, love his wife, love his child, love his family. He must be responsible for all what he said, what he did. He would do his best in his work when he was working. He would spend much more time companying his parents and his wife and his child after his work. He is not a ergasiomania.

A real gentle man is polite and good-natured.  He is polite to friend , relates, neighbors, and anyone who is dealing with him. He can keep his shirt on anytime.

A real gentleman has a healthy personality and a sunny mind.  He is full of positive energy.  

07:31 AM Jul 06 2017 |

mojtaba

mojtaba

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

Yes,I have two episodes of Batman on my PC 

someone can be gent but not handsome,I know many of them

05:24 AM Jul 06 2017 |

Likes (8):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo