Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

Hijab's Maryter!!!!

osesame

osesame

Egypt

A woman stabbed to death in a German court was an Egyptian who had sued her attacker after he insulted her for wearing the Islamic headscarf, Egyptian newspapers reported on Friday.

Marwa al-Sherbini, 32, who was killed in a court in Dresden on Wednesday, was the wife of Egyptian academic Elwi Ali Okaz who was also hurt in the incident and is now in critical condition in hospital, the state-owned Al-Akhbar reported.

The attacker stabbed Sherbini "shortly before she was to give evidence in an appeal lodged by the man against a conviction for insulting her over wearing the hijab,"

WHERE IS THE SOCALLED FREEDOM IN WEST FOR WOMAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Frown

01:45 PM Jul 03 2009 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

fabs1

fabs1

United Kingdom

I read this in the German news. It's absolutely awful.

A woman was in court against a man who was throwing racist abuse at her, then suddenly, during the proceedings, he gets up and stabs her fatally.

How something like this could happen in Europe, I just don't understand.

02:20 PM Jul 03 2009 |

~MemoTheHun~

Germany

I am sure fabs got happy for that…

anyway it happens… there is freedom in the  West for woman.. freedom= "opening" ... 

02:32 PM Jul 03 2009 |

fabs1

fabs1

United Kingdom

@MemoTheHun:

How about before putting words into people's mouths, you listen to what they have to say.

Obviously given that you live in Germany, you should know better about the freedoms you there, the ones that you're shitting on right now.

Next: What exactly does someone murdering someone else say about freedom in the west? Nothing.

Crimes happen without it being a reflection of the freedom or oppression of society.

THINK!

04:04 PM Jul 03 2009 |

otooziki

otooziki

United Kingdom

How something like this could happen in Europe, I just don't understand.

I share everyone's sentiment here about this shameful crime. I saw the link in the other forum on this.

But perhaps this is the point Osesame is making – that we in Europe automatically think how could this happen in our Europe, but also automatically unsurprised if anything horrific happens outside. Do we have an embeded idea in our minds that we are more civilised and other places more primitive?

There are lots of crimes in Europe, some are really shocking. I don't know if this is the case in Egypt for example. But my lecturer from the Middle East says you can walk about safely in many cities there and crime is low, depends where you are of course.

Or am I just being naive again, lol!

04:14 PM Jul 03 2009 |

otooziki

otooziki

United Kingdom

I agree fabs about it is a crime and it doesn't reflect western values … nice we agree sometimes, lol!

04:16 PM Jul 03 2009 |

aiman.h.kallaf

Saudi Arabia

may her sule rest in peace and may Allah forgive here and be with her and her family , 

i wish to see the animal  wich done this dead soon 

04:17 PM Jul 03 2009 |

Zambuka

Zambuka

United States

wooow!!! this man might be crazy!!!! poor woman! abused her and then killed…. where were security at that moment!!! there must be someone who could protect her…. but now the court must give that man strict punishnemt just to show him that he must respect laws ans another peoples preferences

04:31 PM Jul 03 2009 |

otooziki

otooziki

United Kingdom

I don't want to be complacent, but I think the security is better in British courts, I hope so anyway.

But then I don't trust the security, we hear stories of ppl getting into the Queen's palace, or attacking politicians here, if they can't protect them what hope!?

04:34 PM Jul 03 2009 |

Zambuka

Zambuka

United States

it's the most terrible that we can't be sure about out safety…. can be murdered at any moment and nobody will try o protect us…

04:45 PM Jul 03 2009 |

gkisseberth

Germany

truly horrible. you do have to wonder about the security. 

Although this is a terrible incident, it in no way reflects on any lack of freedom in Germany or the West. in fact, it might do the opposite. this woman has, like every citizen, the right to file criminal or civil charges against someone, the right to present her case before the court, and her murderer will face a trial and almost certain severe punishment for his act.

There are places yet in this world where the murder of a woman is not so harshly dealt with, nor where she would have the right to even make a legal complaint.

I hope that the woman's husband will recover and be able to find even a small amount of consolation in seeing the conviction of his wife's killer. 

05:17 PM Jul 03 2009 |