Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Ask Ebaby! Teachers Go Super!

About light/electricity

np36Super Member!

Thailand

Hello,

How are you? May I ask the questions about light/electricity? So when suddenly the light in our house just shuts down, do we use "the light has gone away"? and when it works again, do we use "the light has come back"? In the building, if we have outage of electricity, and I would like to ask the place that may have some electricity available, can I ask "is there any light in this floor working"?

Another question, if I would like to describe the situation that is very difficult to control, for example, we have tried the best to prevent infection but sometimes it can occur even though we have used the best method. Do you have any specific word for this situation?

Thank you very much and please have a nice day.

01:45 PM Sep 16 2009 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Teacher AmySuper Member!

United States

Hi! Interesting questions. We say "the lights went out" or "the power went out" when there is an electricity outage. When the lights return we say "the lights came back on" or "the power came back on." You can ask "Are the lights working on this floor?" or, "Do you have power on this floor?" if you want to know if someone else has electricity.

As for your last question, I would use the word "unstoppable" or "unbeatable."

Thanks!

Amy

08:09 PM Sep 18 2009 |