Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Ask Ebaby! Teachers Go Super!

Detox

AnthonyShuang

United States

I had smoked for 13 years, and I quitted smoking 2 yrs and half ago. May I use the word “detox”? Such as “I just detoxed from smoking 2 years ago.” instead of “I quitted smoking 2 yrs ago”? However, your explaination of “detox” is “to take a break from” . Does that mean “quit sth temporarily”?

01:01 AM Dec 02 2016 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Teacher AmySuper Member!

United States

Hi,

Great question! 

Often, when US English speakers use “detox,” they talk about stopping something for a certain amount of time. For example:

- I need to detox from social media. I’ve been on Snapchat way too much this week. 

- I am on a detox diet this week, so I am only drinking juice. 

However, the true meaning of “detox” is to clean toxins from the body. When a person is detoxified, they have removed these bad substances from their body. Maybe, they will use these substances again, or maybe, they will not. 

With your example, I would probably say:

- I quit smoking two-and-a-half years ago. My body needed one month to detox, but then I felt much better. 

I would not replace the word “quit” with the word “detox” because the meanings are a little different. However, “detox” can describe the process of your body’s change after you quit. You stopped detoxifying when there were no more cigarette chemicals in your body. 

Best, 

Amy

10:39 PM Dec 02 2016 |

AnthonyShuang

United States

The explaination couldn’t be better. Thank you for such a long and detailed answer.

06:33 AM Dec 04 2016 |