Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

English Talk

Someexpressions

Miquite

Belgium

<!-==text==begin==-> Hey guys !I’ve got aquestion about the b-word. I know that as a noun,it’s quite an offensive word. But how about theadjective ? I heard it as some sort of compliment: A guy had done something sweet for hisgirlfriend and she responded with “bitchin” ! So,I assumed it was sth positive then ?
And couldyou please shed some light over / on ( ? )thefollowing expressions ?
* Don’t go out with her!! She’s just TPT .
* He’s a unit !
* I”mgoing to have dinner at my t-jones ( ? )tonight.
* And what is “duck soup ” and “natty” ?

Thanx !

Miquite

Replies:
<!-==10197==0==end==->

05:09 AM Jul 28 2000 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Miquite

Belgium

<!-==text==begin==-> Hi teach !We had avideo and pizza marathon at my “humble abode ” theother day. ( Weather hasn’t improved much, sowe’re just trying to make the best of it :)
I wrote down some of the expressions that Iheard in the movies, but I don’t know the exactcontext of all of them anymore ( In all we watchedabout 10 movies )

she’s TPT : referred to a girlwho lived in a caravan park. The other girls werereally “bitchy” and called her white trash aswell.
Natty : there was a frat party and someguys brought a keg( ? ) of natty. So I guess it’ssome kind of beer ??
And as for the others, maybe I didn’t hear them correctly.

Anyways, asalways thankful for you answers,

Miquite

<!-==10197==158==end==—>

10:30 PM Jul 28 2000 |

anne

Brazil

<!-==text==begin==-> Hi, Miquite!
“Ducksoup” or “piece of cake” means very easy to bedone.
“Natty” means marked by smartness indress and manners (fashionable and stylish)Takecare,
Anne

<!-==10197==160==end==->

01:41 AM Jul 29 2000 |

anne

Brazil

<!-==text==begin==-> Hi, John! I’ve told ya!That “Anne” is a pretty clever girl…

Jokesapart, spread by motion pictures, books, andtelevision American English vocabulary has beenand still is enriched with terms coming from avariety of identifiable subgroup of people. Andmembers of certain social groups or regions oftenadopt some particular language maybe (I don’t knowfor sure) as a way of distinguishing themselvesfrom other social groups. All I know is depending of where you are – ‘soda’ can be tonic,soda water, soda pop, pop, etc.

Well, my husbandwas in the military and you know militarypersonnel travel a lot and get exposed to a greatvariety of language. Thou I’m not sure “duck soup”is a military jargon I’m well familiarized withthe term.

About “natty”, Webster’s says : adj.(nat’e) [[[ ? neat]] trim and stylish. So I don’tknow how I knew it , I just did.

Hope your havea delightful weekend.
Peace, Anne

<!-==10197==163==end==—>

03:15 AM Jul 30 2000 |

Miquite

Belgium

<!-==text==begin==-> Hey there !Thanks forall the efforts in trying to answer my questions!!
I was chatting with an American guy theother night and he gave me some more informationon some of the expressions :
TPT : TrailerPark Trash
It’s not a nice thing to say aboutpeople
( And there’s supposed to be a rockband with this name as well )
Natty : refersto National Bohemian , a fairly cheap sort ofbeer. But not too bad though. Doc, do you knowit ?

CU !

Miquite

<!-==10197==172==end==->

11:37 PM Jul 31 2000 |