Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

English Talk

queston on Eavesdropping-I'm not so ... that...

Eva

Canada

On this week’s Eavesdropping, there’s a sentence saying “I’m not so into the tricks anymore now that I’m getting so old. ” Would you please give some other exsamples so that I can better understand what it really means. Thanks.

05:13 AM Jan 21 2002 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

john

johnSuper Member!

United States

Hi Eva!

Sure I can give you more examples of “I’m not into…” It means, “I’m not interested in…”

1. I’m not into exercise. My body feels fine like it is.

2. I’m not into music. I would much rather watch TV.

3. I’m not into going out to bars. They are too smokey and drinks are too expensive.

When we said, “I’m not so into…” it meant, “I’m not very into…”

Does this help?

John

04:03 PM Jan 21 2002 |

Eva

Canada

Thanks John, that helps. But still, I don’t understand what the “SO … THAT I’m getting so old” means. Is it means “because”? I know that we can say “It’s SO cold outside THAT I don’t want to go out for a walk.”—BECAUSE it’s cold, I don’t…

I guess I’m little confused. May you letting me know that it really means? Thanks again.

Eva

03:59 AM Jan 23 2002 |

john

johnSuper Member!

United States

Hi Eva,

I think the problem is that you’re confused by the “so.” This sentence doesn’t use the pattern you are thinking of (SO…..THAT). It’s not the same.

Look at the sentence like this:

I’m “not so” into the tricks anymore.

“Not so” means, “not very.”

Hope this helps!

John

01:54 AM Feb 01 2002 |