Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

English Talk

How do you correct your pronunciation?

Jassica_xu

Jassica_xu

China

One of my big problems to study English is my pronunciation! I always think it is very important, but it is a little difficult to correct it.

Could you please share your experience or good videos with me? Thanks in advance! ^^

01:16 AM Dec 16 2008 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

cabbage19270101

China

I think watch television program will help,especially the newscast.if you are Cantonese, tvb pearl is a choice,if you are not, cctv9 is ok.

Waiting for better answer,thanks in advance too.

02:08 AM Dec 16 2008 |

Jassica_xu

Jassica_xu

China

Thanks Cabbage! ^^

That is a good way! but I think maybe it is better for the listening, and it seems a little difficult to follow and practice.

What's your idea?

03:29 AM Dec 16 2008 |

cabbage19270101

China

Er, on my word,the pronunciation of the newscast is standard and better than other program. Usual dialog is more fast and more difficult to follow. Speaking natural is more difficult than just pronouncing correctly.

05:47 AM Dec 16 2008 |

Jassica_xu

Jassica_xu

China

Yes, I think so!

They speak it clear. It is easy to understand because the caption is at the bottom of the program(sorry my vocabulary isn't so good). ^^

09:08 AM Dec 16 2008 |

mahali

mahali

Austria

it really helps to watch dvds in english with the subtitles on. if I'm not sure how a new word should sound i look it up online…here's the link for german speakers since it's a dictionary, although you can type in the english word and look up the pronounciation anyway…just klick the sound symbol: and then click on definition…

http://dict.leo.org/ende?lang=en&lp=ende&search=

07:38 PM Dec 16 2008 |

abu_rayah

abu_rayah

Saudi Arabia

i have this problem. but i can't correct it

11:47 PM Dec 16 2008 |

Jassica_xu

Jassica_xu

China

Thanks Mahali for your kind sharing.

Many people use the dictionary to correct the pronunciation one by one. It needs a little patient。

One friend ever recommended the video for practice English pronuciation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixTRpf_gd2I&feature=related

http://www.englishbaby.com/forum/AskEnglish/thread/231001?page=3

01:52 AM Dec 17 2008 |

nad1a

nad1a

Greece

Pronunciation has many aspects. It's not just about uttering the word correctly, but it also has to do with intonation patterns (the way the pitch of your voice rises and falls, expressing different mood, feeling or meaning), the way words within a sentence are connected etc

What I would suggest is paying attention to the way native speakers communicate and repeat after them, whether while watching a movie or listening to a song, or a recorded article etc But the bottom line is practice pronunciation of whole phrases and sentences, rather than separate words.

01:43 PM Dec 17 2008 |

nad1a

nad1a

Greece

Use Skype or similar online communicators to speak with native speakers. If possible record the conversations and practice later by repeating the phrases. When you are not sure how to pronounce something, ask a native speaker to say it for you and you try and repeat it.

But above all, it comes down to listening a lot.  After all, this is how we all learn our mother tongue – by listening to it. We learn how to speak, that is , learn grammar and vocabulary through experience and later on we study Grammar in school.

01:45 PM Dec 17 2008 |

garyxujie

garyxujie

China

Hoo,great idea ,thank you nad1a,will try by this way!

01:37 AM Dec 18 2008 |