Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

English Talk

A cool dictionary tool on the CBS News site helps you save time looking up words.

nad1a

nad1a

Greece

You can save time looking up uknown words in a dictionary, with this cool feature on the CBS News site. It gives you instant definitions of any word. Just double-click on any word on the site as your read and you get the explanation of the word in a small pop-up window.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/01/22/60minutes/main4747832.shtml

08:41 AM Jan 25 2009 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

M_honor

M_honor

Lebanon

Fantastic!..we need a feature like this on ebaby ;)

thanks for sharing.

11:15 AM Jan 25 2009 |

nad1a

nad1a

Greece

Did you try it? isn't it cool?

it doesn't check just single words but the meaning of the idiom or collocation used in the context of the article.

11:28 AM Jan 25 2009 |

Margaret

Margaret

United Arab Emirates

I visited the site but I found no dictionary !!

04:19 AM Jan 26 2009 |

tiffintime

tiffintime

Sri Lanka

In the news article shown (or in other news story), move the mouse cursor over a word (say: foreclosure) and double-click. At the top row of the pop-up screen, click on the Dictionary link. Then on the next screen, click on the More button. And Voila! – there's your dictionary page.

05:10 AM Jan 26 2009 |

nad1a

nad1a

Greece

margaret, you have to double-click on a word to activate the tool.:-)

06:14 AM Jan 26 2009 |

Margaret

Margaret

United Arab Emirates

tiffintime,nad1a. Thanks a lot , now it works.

10:29 AM Jan 26 2009 |

Ro_man

Ro_man

Russian Federation

It's very interesting for me.Thanks

11:40 AM Jan 26 2009 |

nad1a

nad1a

Greece

oh , you're welcome guys;

I'm glad you liked it :-)

there is a way to enable it on your own page or blog – or so they say – cos I tried to insert the script in my lessons and blog but it didn't work.

But I guess English,baby webmaster or admins might actually enable it on here, so that folks could look up uknown words they come across, immediately.

11:23 PM Jan 26 2009 |