Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

English Talk

How to understand what americans talking about?

user2009

Morocco

Hi evrybody,

I'm a new resident in the usa, and i found a great difficult with american accent, i don't understand what americans spoken talking about.

My english language level is too modest, I can read text and understand 70% of words and sentences, My problem is american accent, my question is how can i understand american english ? and also speak like an  american ?

sorry for my bad english, I'm still in the begenning of the road.

Thanks so much

03:59 PM Mar 25 2009 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Paulgye

Paulgye

Ecuador

Practice makes perfect!!!

dont be shy to speak your mind 

04:01 PM Mar 25 2009 |

zeinabou

zeinabou

Egypt

You have to put [you know]in every sentence;}

08:32 PM Mar 25 2009 |

Vla-di-mir

Vla-di-mir

Russian Federation

I not especially well know language of Americans, but under my information to speak than in England easier if to be exact Americans say all letters in speech.

09:48 PM Mar 25 2009 |

Mapleleaf Man

Canada

zeinabou is correct. If you take all of the 'you know's out of their speech, Americans only know about forty or fifty words. If you take out the names of guns and swear words, that leaves you about 5 words that you have to recognize. I think 'army, killing, foreigner and hate' make up the rest. :)

01:40 AM Mar 26 2009 |

tiffintime

tiffintime

Sri Lanka

I believe that you have a point here, user2009. I remember reading somewhere that when American talkies were first introduced into Britain, the audience over there couldn't understand much of the dialogue. So later on, some of the American actors had to have speech training so that American films would have wider appeal. 

Listening to songs is one way to improve your listening skills. But once again, some of the older singers learned to modify their voices so that their songs would be understood by an international audience.

Maybe this song is too "old fashioned" for your taste, but there are many others you could listen to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SzQyWy_7uE&feature=PlayList&p=AE24574E64AFC475&index=0&playnext=1

http://www.englishbaby.com/lessons/4857/member_submitted/using_song_lyrics_to_improve_listening_comprehension

06:51 AM Mar 26 2009 |

Eydo

Eydo

Turkey

Listen VOA (Voice of America) and watch American movies as well, you will see than can make a good progress:)

10:12 AM Mar 26 2009 |

sali11

sali11

Algeria

yes eydo is right i think is a good idea .i you are a new resident so it became by time

05:16 PM Mar 26 2009 |

user2009

Morocco

Hi everybodySmile

Sorry for the delay.

I would like to thanks all those who participate in the topic and share  with us their ideas and opinions.

To enrich this topic, the website below will be helpfull.

http://www.americanaccent.com

thank you Smile

10:35 PM Mar 26 2009 |

sofree

sofree

China

I think most of the American don't have much accent. Make sure those people around you are native, maybe you only need to understand them, don't make yourself sound black. Just practice more.

08:05 AM Mar 27 2009 |

oliver-kr

oliver-kr

Iraq

I have these suggestions for U:

1- I Can send U a book named (American accent training) with audio.

2- Search youtube.com for American accent.

3- Go to effortlessenglishclub.com and sing up for free Email course.

4- Listen to Celine Dion (I'm kiddingSmile). listen to what Americaan are listening to. (movies,songs,CNN,Oprah's show,Dr.Phill's show)...etc

12:16 PM Mar 27 2009 |