Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

English Talk

Barack Obama wins the Nobel Peace Prize!

Mapleleaf Man

Canada

This morning I read that President Barack Obama has won the Nobel Peace Prize. Any thoughts on this? I know that some people may not know what the Nobel Prizes are all about. Nobel was quite an interesting man. His invention changed the world. What did he invent? Do you think it was too early for Obama to win? Or do you think he was a good choice?

10:44 AM Oct 09 2009 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Atamantschuk

Germany

Obviously, the award is based on the hope that Obama will achieve real progress in advancing diplomacy.

You are right. Obama has get Nobel Prize through the hope.  But he has done nothing for piece in the world!!!

American relations with Europe are vastly improved.

Relations whit Europa were good long before than Obama President bekame! Et is more importanter relations whit Irak and Afganistan. What has he done for this?

01:57 PM Oct 14 2009 |

Mapleleaf Man

Canada

What has he done with Iraq and Afghanistan? Read the news, Atamantsch. He is trying to pull out of Iraq, trying to correct the mistakes made by Bush. In Afghanistan he is trying to protect the civilians with new 'rules of engagement'. These new rules put the American soldiers in far greater danger than before and they are paying with their lives for that. The previous rules were safer for the soldiers but many civilians were being killed. Now, unfortunately, more soldiers are being killed but far fewer civilians. Americans, and Canadians, face more danger now but, hopefully, the civilians will become stronger because of this. 

I should also say that the Taliban is using the strategy against the Allied soldiers. They are putting civilians between them and the soldiers, knowing that the soldiers can`t do anything about it because of the new rules. This just illustrates what cowards the Taliban are.

It`s interesting that in these two Muslim countries that no other Muslim nation or group has stepped up to help out. Canada, the US, Britain and other countries have joined in, and I`m sure a few are Muslim, but I don`t see a united front trying to beat the Taliban. The Taliban has no qualms about killing innocent people and then telling the world that they are fighting for an Islamic state. Why don`t real, true blue Muslims join the battle against them. The Taliban is ruining the image of Islam all over the world but no Muslims are fighting this. Why is that? Are they depending on the US to do the work for them? But many Muslims hate the United States, too. What's the story here? Is it fear? 

I see a lot of posts saying that Obama isn't the right choice but I don't see any alternatives. To me, this says that he is the right choice. I am not really thinking one way or the other but it seems that no one else can offer any alternatives.  

04:49 PM Oct 14 2009 |

Mapleleaf Man

Canada

Oh, I should also say that relations with Europe were NOT good when Bush was in power. The Americans hated France and probably still do. Anyone who was smart enough not to get into the phony war in Iraq was hated by the Americans, and that includes Canada. Canada is in Afghanistan as part of the United Nations force but they are not in Iraq. Relationships are much better now that Obama is President, don't fool yourself. If you read only right wing newspapers you will think something else but the truth is out there. Obama will change the world in a good way just as much as Bush ruined the world in a bad way. Bush should be tried on war crimes, for sure. He has killed more Americans in a phony war in Iraq than Bin Laden did on 9/11.

04:53 PM Oct 14 2009 |

xcom

Andorra

How do you do!Here is already three years exists the most popular generalized facility of searching for familiar!

VKONTAKTE – a most visitting site in the World!

By means of this site You may:

Find the people, with which You ever learned;learnt, worked or reposed.

Learn more of folk, which You surround, and find the new friends.

Always remain in contact with one, You roads. We want to increase the site on the whole world!We want to do his(its) available(for all) for the whole world,you may help us in this!For this it is necessary whole only registration on our put!Attention: registration FREE nor what spama and virus,only contact!For full registration you will need fill all data and put(deliver) its photo!The Pleasing contact on our put! Reference for registration:

http://vk.com/reg14046918

05:07 PM Oct 14 2009 |

Atamantschuk

Germany

Read the news, Atamantsch. He is trying to pull out of Iraq, trying to correct the mistakes made by Bush.

Bush has try to pull soldier out of Irak too. For me is important the achievement.The achievement is, that Obama has nothing done. He deservet not Nobel Prize, yet. Mayby is he a good man. But, et is not cause for award of Nobel Prize.

09:21 PM Oct 14 2009 |

Mapleleaf Man

Canada

What the heck is xcom talking about? Spam, if I've ever seen it. 

Here is an interesting link about the Obama thing :

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/091014/world/eu_nobel_peace_obama 

But Atamantschuk, I still don't see an alternative to Obama. Are you saying that they should just not give the prize this year. Is no one deserving of it? Take a look at the article that I gave and see what you think. It was a unanimous decision, there were no dissenters.

Bush was trying to pull out only because there was an election. His popularity was terrible, everyone knew he was a jerk so he tried to pretend that he was getting out of Iraq. America has gone broke because of Bush's idiocy. Anyway, it's an interesting discussion.  

11:09 PM Oct 14 2009 |

phamtran

phamtran

Viet Nam

It is good for the discision

01:04 AM Oct 15 2009 |

Åland Islands

i don't think he should win this

04:07 AM Oct 15 2009 |

zahraa flower

Algeria

Salam, mm…i think MR.OBAMA haven t worked much yet to get this great prize.May be next time he would have done better things which deserves it,cause he is willing to make the world more peacefull after the damage which was caused by the bad and the murder BUSH.

06:18 PM Oct 15 2009 |