Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

English Talk

Summary of an Austria text

Luna_11

Austria

Hy at all!
I have to summarize a text of Austria in only 1 or 2 sentences. But i don`t know, how i should handle this, because i don`t understand this text. My english isn`t very good. Maybe someone can help me.

That`s the text:

Nevertheless, Austrians wear their formality with a certain easy lightness and a major distinction between Austrian and German characters is that the former are much more tolerant of fooling around than their neighbours [there is a long tradition of pantomime and farce in Viennese theatre]. Austrians have a great sense of humour that is not always refined or subtle and they will accept your joking so long as you are self-deprecating at the same time. Teasing others, though, may be interpreted as putting them down, and that is certainly not appreciated. Unless you are confident of your command of German idiom and/or Austrian taste, it is perhaps best for a visitor to avoid making jokes that can be easily misconstrued in another culture. Humour has no place at a formal meeting or in the office at all when senior staff are present.

Thanks at all and nice greetings :)

Luna_11

11:51 AM Oct 25 2010 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

nooriparadise

Pakistan

Laughing

04:58 PM Oct 25 2010 |

c.Klein

c.Klein

Germany

this text treats about the alledged difference of human culture between germans and austrians. It shows how to handle the differences between german and australian culture of humour. Just some informations about it are given in text.

05:06 PM Oct 25 2010 |

c.Klein

c.Klein

Germany

a little bit interesting are the thoughts of german culture in this relation. is there an difference? i don´t think so, OKAY

05:15 PM Oct 25 2010 |

c.Klein

c.Klein

Germany

to the sugary bun who has written the text. do you have something against germans? We don´t take you on the mickey. We in germany would find a solution for foreign people which sometimes make trouble like the turkish guys in germany: seperated immigration 

05:22 PM Oct 25 2010 |

spontan

spontan

Germany

my try of a summary: 

Visitors who don't know perfect the German language,the different slang,the different culture roots of humor, should be carefully with jokes in the German language,  especial in the formal public, because the German and the Austrian have not the same sence of humor.

12:48 AM Oct 26 2010 |

tiffintime

tiffintime

Sri Lanka

Here's my take on this:

Though it may seem that Austrians are friendlier and more fun-loving than Germans, it is better that you avoid making Austrians the butt of your jokes unless you are sure of your German and about the limits of Austrian sense of humor.  Anyway, it’s best to avoid any form of banter at formal meetings.

http://www.executiveplanet.com/index.php?title=Austria:_Conversation

Among the Germans, I remember that the Bavarians used to be a little more formal than the other Germans (at least before the Bavarians had their beer). 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3WdZngBxBk&NR=1

Here are some quotes under this  video:

- German people look so friendly, if you did that here in London you'd be told to f**k off a few times at least.

-  Germans are always smiling and seem happy you do that in New York City and ask questions to random strangers you wont get that trust me lol

10:58 AM Oct 26 2010 |

spontan

spontan

Germany

tiffintime,

the limit of humor you will find much earlier by the German…by the way the  Bavarian(in south Germany) and most Austrian have the same Celtic roots and have the same ancient Roman influence…and both like to drink beer in one liter size.Smile

09:37 AM Oct 27 2010 |

tiffintime

tiffintime

Sri Lanka

But don't forget that some of the older Germans add schnapps to their beer to give it an extra kick – so that compensates for the one litre size. Laughing

I thought the Roman influence was more in the Ruhr as the Romans had cultivated their vineyards in the area, and the people there are supposed to have darker skin and hair than those of the surrounding areas.

07:47 AM Oct 28 2010 |

spontan

spontan

Germany

the roman cultivated their wine even in Bavaria at the river Danube. here a map where the ancient roman had beenhttp://www.villa-rustica.de/intro/index02e.html

by this Austrian Band from Hubert von Goisern you can see the different gene roots  ..."multi cultural" influence has always been in the Austrian- and Bavarian Culture http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMFdkH0zm60&feature=related, by the way for me are the different gene roots not important!

09:55 PM Oct 28 2010 |