Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

English Talk

About Shakespeare .. plz I need some help

sara70

sara70

Saudi Arabia

Hello guys how are u doing?

for those who read the play ” Midsummer Night’s Dream”

for Shakespear plz help me and tell me a little about it ( the summary of this play plz)

another thing i want to ask u is :

what do u think about Shakespear language?

isn’t difficult ?

coz lots of his words are difficult to understand easily, also his structure ..

any help is appreciated. 

Thanks.

10:43 AM Jul 28 2011 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Rockyy01

Rockyy01

Pakistan

Hey My Dear Sara70… :)
I’m doin fine… what about you…???

Yeah… Once I asked my teacher to tell me some interesting stories so she reffered me this one… & also another play ‘AS YOU LIKE IT…’
SO I read but right now I don’t remember what the Summary was…

But I picked that from the 2 websites…
You may pick any of them… :)

Summary according to (Shakespeare Resource Centre…)

Lysander loves Hermia, and Hermia loves Lysander. Helena loves Demetrius; Demetrius used to love Helena but now loves Hermia. Egeus, Hermia’s father, prefers Demetrius as a suitor, and enlists the aid of Theseus, the Duke of Athens, to enforce his wishes upon his daughter. According to Athenian law, Hermia is given four days to choose between Demetrius, life in a nunnery, or a death sentence. Hermia, ever defiant, chooses to escape with Lysander into the surrounding forest.

Complications arise in the forest. Oberon and Titania, King and Queen of Fairies, are locked in a dispute over a boy whom Titania has adopted. Oberon instructs his servant Puck to bring him magic love drops, which Oberon will sprinkle on the Queen’s eyelids as she sleeps, whereupon Titania will fall in love with the first creature she sees upon awakening. Meanwhile, Helena and Demetrius have also fled into the woods after Lysander and Hermia. Oberon, overhearing Demetrius’s denouncement of Helena, takes pity upon her and tells Puck to place the magic drops upon the eyelids of Demetrius as well, so that Demetrius may fall in love with Helena. Puck, however, makes the mistake of putting the drops on the eyelids of Lysander instead. Helena stumbles over Lysander in the forest, and the spell is cast; Lysander now desires Helena and renounces a stunned Hermia.

In the midst of this chaos, a group of craftsmen are rehearsing for a production of “Pyramus and Thisbe,” to be played for the Duke at his wedding. Puck impishly casts a spell on Bottom to give him the head of a donkey. Bottom, as luck would have it, is the first thing Titania sees when she awakens; hence, Bottom ends up being lavishly kept by the Queen. Oberon enjoys this sport, but is less amused when it becomes apparent that Puck has botched up the attempt to unite Demetrius and Helena. Oberon himself anoints Demetrius with the love potion and ensures that Helena is the first person he sees; however, Helena understandably feels that she is now being mocked by both Demetrius and Lysander (who is still magically enamored of her).

Finally, Oberon decides that all good sports must come to an end. He puts the four lovers to sleep and gives Lysander the antidote for the love potion so that he will love Hermia again when they all wake up. Next, Oberon gives Titania the antidote, and the King and Queen reconcile. Theseus and Hippolyta then discover Lysander, Hermia, Helena, and Demetrius asleep in the forest. All return to Athens to make sense of what they think is a strange dream. Likewise, Bottom returns to his players, and they perform “Pyramus and Thisbe” at the wedding feast (which has since become a wedding of three couples). As everyone retires, fairies perform their blessings and Puck delivers a tender epilogue soliloquy.

& The Summary according to (No sweat Shakespeare…)

Theseus, the Duke of Athens, is preparing for his marriage to Hippolyta, Queen of the Amazons, A courtier seeks the Duke’s intervention because his daughter, Hermia, will not agree to his choice of Demetrius as a husband: she’s in love with Lysander. The Duke tells Hermia to obey her father, or either die or accept a life as a nun in Diana’s temple. Lysander and Hermia plan to elope, and they tell Helena, who is in love with Demetrius, but he hates her and loves Hermia. The lovers run away from Athens but get lost in the woods. They are followed by Demetrius, and then by Helena, who has told him of their intentions.

Oberon, king of the fairies, who lives in the woods, has quarrelled with his queen, Titania, over an Indian boy she refuses to give him. Oberon overhears Helena and Demetrius arguing and sends his mischievous servant, Puck, to get a flower whose juice has the power to make people fall in love with the first creature they see when the juice is placed on their eyelids while asleep. He instructs Puck to put some drops on Demetrius’ eyes. Mistaking the Athenian he seeks, Puck puts the flower juice on the eyes of the sleeping Lysander so that when he is woken by Helena he immediately falls in love with her and rejects Hermia.

Some artisans are rehearsing a play about the tragic love-story of Pyramus and Thisbe to present before Theseus on his wedding day. Bottom, the weaver, is to play the lover, Pyramus, while Flute, the bellows-mender, is to play Thisbe. The others play the parts of the Moon, the Wall and the Lion and they are directed by Quince, the carpenter. Puck overhears their rehearsals in the wood and he plays a trick on them by giving Bottom an ass’s head which frightens the others away. Bottom is lured towards the sleeping Titania whom Oberon has treated with the flower juice. On waking, she falls in love with the ass and entertains him with her fairies, but when Bottom falls asleep beside her, Oberon restores Titania’s sight and wakes her. She is appalled at the sight of what she has been in love with and is reunited with Oberon.

Puck removes the ass’s head and Bottom returns to Athens and rejoins his friends as they prepare to perform their play. Meanwhile the lovers’ arguments tire them out as they chase one another through the woods and when Demetrius rests, Oberon puts magic juice on his eyes so that both he and Lysander pursue Helena until the four lovers fall asleep, exhausted. Puck puts juice on Lysander’s eyes before the lovers are woken by Theseus and Hippolyta and their dawn hunting party. Happily reunited to each other, Lysander with Hermia, Demetrius with Helena, they agree to share the Duke’s wedding day. The rustics perform the play of Pyramus and Thisbe before the wedding guests. As the three couples retire Puck and the fairies return to bless the palace and its

You see…
About Shakespeare’s Language…
I wanna say that it’s not ‘THAT…’ hard…
We consider that hard cuz those words aren’t used in our age…

But still… He was Unique…
& he always picked nice & unique words…
That’s the SIGN of GREAT WRITERS… :)

Well…
I hope it’d ‘SOMEHOW…’ help you…
Take Care…
Stay Blessed…

05:06 PM Jul 28 2011 |

sara70

sara70

Saudi Arabia

Rockyy ta very much dear

u are the best 

and yeah i agree with u he is a great writer

thanks again.

Happy rose underwater,

i swear this is not a cheatingInnocent ( we are in vacation, so i just thought to read sth for him)

thanks for posting bro. 

08:19 AM Jul 29 2011 |

Rockyy01

Rockyy01

Pakistan

No Thanx my dear Sara70… :)
Thanx for callin me the best…
But you’re better than me… :)
Thanx again…
Take Care…
Stay Blessed… :)

04:16 PM Jul 29 2011 |

sifro

sifro

Italy

shakespeare’s english was much different from current english… 500 years ago there were many different words and phrases…
Try to read “Love labours lost”... that’s almost impossible!! So I read it in an italian translation, but i had problems with that too!! 

03:22 PM Jul 30 2011 |

Rockyy01

Rockyy01

Pakistan

My Dear Songggg… :)
It ain’t no matter…
I still respect you even if you disagreed… :)
& I agree with you… ;)
You’re greater than me… :)

My Dear Sifro… :)
Yeah… you’re right…
I agree with you too…
There were so many different words & phrases…
I read 2 of his novels in ‘AN EASY VERSION…’
& guess what…???
I had problems in understanding that too… haha..

03:31 PM Jul 30 2011 |

Rockyy01

Rockyy01

Pakistan

You respect me…
Thanx… I know it… :)

& It’s me…
WHO TOLD ME THAT YOU’RE GREATER THAN ME… ;)

you can’t deny cuz you respect me… haha…

Wish you all beyond the best… :)
Stay Blessed…

06:09 PM Jul 30 2011 |

Rockyy01

Rockyy01

Pakistan

Hey My Dear Sara70…
My Dear Asma…
& My Dear songggg… :)

Assalam o Alaikum… :)

Wishing you… your family…
A WONDERFUL RAMADAN… :)

& I WISH THE SAME TO ALL OF MY MUSLIM FRIENDS
& EVEN TO THOSE MUSLIM FRIENDS WHO DON’T KNOW ME… ;)

& I WISH THE SAME TO ALL OF MY NON-MUSLIM FRIENDS TOO
& EVEN TO THOSE NON-MUSLIM FRIENDS WHO DON’T KNOW ME… :)
(IF THEY DON’T MIND ME WISHING BLESSING UPON THEM…)

May you all be blessed in the most blessed blessings of Almighty ALLAH
Aameen…
Take Care…
Stay Blessed… :)

12:03 PM Aug 01 2011 |