Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

English Talk

What is the meaning of Keep your fingers crossed?

pasakorn

pasakorn

Thailand

Please tell me, in my point, it means GOOD LUCK! Is that right? Please tell me more, million thanks!!

03:53 PM Aug 20 2007 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

jamalade

jamalade

Ireland

Yes. It means Good Luck.

Another expression is "Touch Wood".!

04:07 PM Aug 20 2007 |

Mapleleaf Man

Canada

Not really. You keep your fingers crossed if you want something to happen, if you are making a wish and you cross your fingers to give your wish more power or if you are telling a lie! Some people believe that if you cross your fingers while lying, the lie isn't bad or isn't a sin. Hmmmm!

So if you have a job interview and someone asks if you got the position, you could say, "Not yet but I'm keeping my fingers crossed."

"Touch wood" is something that you say when you don't want something to happen. "I haven't had a car accident yet, touch wood!" Then, of course, you touch something made of wood. If there is no wood around you can always touch your head! :)

01:05 AM Aug 21 2007 |

debe13

Australia

keeping your fingers crossed, means you. hope and wish for something

touch wood means  you hope the thing you are saying wont come true,  like it isnt raining at the moment, touch wood

ill never go bald, touch wood

05:07 AM Aug 21 2007 |

nilufaranvar

Uzbekistan

goood luck

05:45 AM Aug 21 2007 |

matian206

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

to fold one finger across another in the hope of bringing good luckEmbarassed

http://englishbyidioms.com/

09:46 AM Sep 28 2011 |

nellis

nellis

Indonesia

My friend said ; Please keep your finger crossed on me, I will have an interview tomorrow. I replied yes with all my heart.

My question is. did my reply is suitable with the phrase?

Thank you for helping.

04:19 AM May 07 2013 |

nellis

nellis

Indonesia

My friend said ; Please keep your finger crossed on me, I will have an interview tomorrow. I replied yes with all my heart.

My question is. did my reply is suitable with the phrase?

Thank you for helping.

04:26 AM May 07 2013 |

manu_wj

manu_wj

Italy

I hope the good fortune to help me!

05:08 AM May 08 2013 |