Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

English Talk

We all love LOVE! Expressions/Idioms about LOVE: Part 1

tutorheatherSuper Member!

United States

Most of us love love. We love the warm sensation of love, whether the feelings we have are for family, friends, or a spouse/partner/bf/gf.

You may enjoy the feelings of passion that almost make you feel dizzy! 

And who doesn’t love the new feelings of joy which accompany the process of falling in love?

But, many love relationships do fail, even when we have tried our best. None of us enjoy the heartbreak of a failed relationship. We may cry for days, weeks, or more! We may wonder why it ended, especially when there were many happy times.

Love is a mystery.

But, I belive the following: “It’s better to have loved and lost, than never to have loved at all.” Love, and losing love, helps us to grow in many ways. We become more sensitive, more mature, and more self-aware. We often learn to appreciate the people we love even more than we usually do, and that is very important.

So, it makes sense that all languages are full of expressions about love.

Love is truly a global language.

So, here are some very common American expressions and idioms about love in all of its forms - dating, falling in love, marriage, and the end of a relationship:

I am crazy about him/her. This is said when you think someone is really wonderful and just what you are looking for in a mate

“I am seeking Mr. Right” or “I am seeking Ms. Right.” People say that when they are searching for “the one” and not just someone to casually date.

“I have a crush on him.” - This means that you have feelings of attraction for someone. You are  interested in a person and you really like him or her so far.

“Let’s kiss and make up.” This is said when people want to heal a relationship after an argument has happened. When people make up, they get back together as a couple, or as friends, etc.

“They are a match made in heaven.” – meaning that the couple suits each other perfectly

“He is my one and only.” – meaning you are devoted only to the one person. It’s the same as saying I only have eyes for him,” meaning you only notice this one person. You are no longer seeking another person to love.

I am hoping to settle down soon.” To “settle down” means to stop dating and to focus on one person. This usually suggests marriage, living together, starting a family, etc.

“I wish I could hear those three little words from him.” It means you are hoping the person will say “I love you,” to you—hence, the “the three little words.”

“Are you going to pop the question soon?” This means to ask someone to marry you. To “propose” to someone is to ask someone to become engaged. This is usually accompanied by a ring.

“It was love at first sight!” This means that you loved someone the minute you first saw him or her. I don’t know if this can truly exist, guys (I don’t think you can really LOVE someone the moment you see them. You can be very attracted to someone, and interested in getting to know the person, but love doesn’t happen in an instant. Real love is built on trust, sharing of time/ideas/feelings, etc.) However, this is often said by people.

“I am really falling for her.” This simply means to feel like you’re falling in love, becoming emotionally committed to someone, to really care about him or her.

“He is really smitten by Mary, isn’t he?” To be “smitten” means to be very charmed by someone, perhaps to be in love with someone.

“Oh, it’s just puppy love. It will be over soon.”  Puppy love refers to teenage or young love. It might be a person’s first crush or relationship. Parents might say this in hopes the relationship is not a serious one, but just a passing phase during youth.

“They are getting hitched this weekend.” Getting hitched means to get married.

“They have a stormy relationship” or “They have a rocky relationship.” To call a relationship rocky or stormy means that it is not a calm, happy relationship. There may be lots of fighting.

Finally….

“Unfortunately, they just broke up yesterday.”   This means that the relationship has ended. Either one or both people have decided that the relationship is no longer happy or healthy.

I hope you all like these. There are many, many more!

06:48 PM Mar 26 2012 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

sonrah

sonrah

Algeria

your post is very interesting and useful as usual. thanks

08:00 AM Mar 29 2012 |

hicham

Morocco

We all love LOVE! Expressions/Idioms about LOVE: Part

05:46 PM Apr 03 2012 |

hicham

Morocco