Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

English Talk

Help me!

taka_chi_07

Japan

Hi there! I don’t get it! Dose anyone know the meaning of sentense “I remember my boss asking multiple times if I had a girlfriend, when I thought it was obvious after two, three times, responding and sort of laughing to that question, she might get it.” ? Please tell me! This sentense is too long for me to understand. Also, does anyone who read the article about “Rainbow Underground” in this website teach me where euphemism is used in this article?

09:17 AM May 08 2006 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

panglossian

United States

Yes, the sentence is long and a bit difficult to understand. The meaning is that he didn’t want to say to his boss, “I am gay!”, so he just laughed and avoided the question. He thought that his boss would “get the hint” that he was gay and stop asking.
“Rainbow Underground” is the title of the lesson. The phrase doesn’t appear in the article. A rainbow is the symbol for gay culture, and the word “underground” means secretive, or not accepted by the majority of people.

04:39 PM May 08 2006 |

taka_chi_07

Japan

Thank you so much. Now I understand that there is euphemism in this long sentense.

06:22 PM May 08 2006 |

taka_chi_07

Japan

Thank you so much. I’m beginning to understand about gay culcure a little bit.

06:28 PM May 08 2006 |

yengec

Turkey

ı dont speak but understand of reading I know I should be make exercises.I learn english .Can you help me

03:53 PM May 11 2006 |

taka_chi_07

Japan

I would be glad if there is anything I can help you.

02:32 AM May 12 2006 |

gangsaleisi

China

I came from China,now worked for the Japan-owned company in the filed of tire-building. I think you should know the name of my company—SUMITOMO RUBBER Co. LTD. It was established in May,2002 in China. I am one of  the first part members of this company. In order to improve employees ability. we start to learn English from this month. I want to make a friend with you, to learn English together.

03:57 AM Jun 12 2006 |

Robério Nascimento

Brazil

I want to talk with you but I don't get.

12:27 PM Oct 21 2006 |

hottie one

hottie one

American Samoa

hello

02:33 PM Feb 15 2007 |

Michael-LJ

China

hello

08:32 AM Apr 05 2007 |

yannie

yannie

Malaysia

hello, everyone….I'm a new comers…Hope I can improve my english in this forum..Hi takachi…I have a dream on having a vacation at Japan…I have a friend from Japan, he was our senior voluntere at our training institute, but he went back to his hometown on the early of April…I really impress with Japanese people especially the culture..since I met the Japanese people in my workplace….I really like them

02:07 PM Apr 12 2007 |