Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in
Learning to Live Well

Learning to Live Well

Date: Apr 11 2008

Topic: Conversational English

Author: ruth_123

Lesson

Happiness is not a destination but a day-by-day journey.

I read this message on a daily devotional book I have been subscribing for years. I was touched by the story of a lady named Tamer Lee Owens who credited “laughter, the Lord, and the little things” for making it to her 104th birthday celebration.

Of course, not all of us will be able to live 104 years. Some will barely make it to 60, 70 or 80 years. But no matter how much time we are given to stay here on earth, we can learn from Tamer Lee how to enjoy each day in our lives.

“The cheerful live longest in years, and afterwards in our regards. Cheerfulness is the offshoot of goodness.”

- Christian Nestell Bovee

People who laugh often live longer as they overcome the darkness of trouble with

a cheerful disposition. Remember the Filipino comedian Rene Requiestas? A huge picture of his toothless grin (one which paved the way to his stardom) was displayed during his funeral so that people will always remember him for the laughter and fun he brought as an actor.

God is the brave man’s hope and not the coward’s excuse.”

- Plutarch

There always comes a time when we are faced with indecision in making plans for our lives. Uncertainty of the future battles against our will but oftentimes it is our unwavering faith in God that makes us determined to take the risk and succeed. The conviction of knowing that God will never forsake those who call unto Him enables us to move on.

“That man is richest whose pleasures are the cheapest.”

-         Henry David Thoreau

It does not take a lot of money, power and fame to enjoy life. Waking up with the

thought that your family and friends love you for who you are, taking a good sip of Coke to refresh yourself on an extra hot day, laughing at some silly jokes shared by a colleague – all these are simple things which can give real happiness that we oftentimes overlook.

All of us are given chances to make our lives well-lived and memorable enough even if we depart from this world. No matter what life brings, it only takes a right attitude to keep us going. Laughter, the Lord and the little things – well, we may not make it to 104 years, but we can enjoy each day of our lives with these in mind.

Comments

mariamluv

Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

Hello, my name is Mariam, its my pleasure and I wish to have you as my friend.for friendship is all about passion respect, admiration and love and idea-sharing, I intend to send my photos for you and tell you more about me, if you answer me here on my box () thank you for your understanding

10:10 AM Jul 28 2015 |

Allen90

Allen90

Iraq

When you live your day from morning until sleeping time with smile glued on your lips , you would no longer care how many years you have left but , you care of how long you can keep your smile for life.
Am a new user of englishbaby . Everyone can contact me on my e-mail
Allengorbil@yahoo.com

09:51 AM Jul 26 2015 |

mehcak

mehcak

Turkey

hi my whatsap number +905432666442

10:49 PM Jul 21 2015 |

ruth_123

ruth_123

Philippines

YOLO!

12:30 PM Jul 21 2015 |

Maria_19881222

China

live simplely.

12:05 AM May 22 2009 |

Maria_19881222

China

live simplely.

12:05 AM May 22 2009 |

peacelove

peacelove

Nepal

WOW!!! it is really great topic.I like so much!!!!!!!

02:45 PM Jan 09 2009 |

english10

Romania

it's nice

06:23 PM Jan 07 2009 |

galus

Cameroon

plus, allow the people around you to make it a reality by opening your arms as widely as you possibly can

01:14 PM Dec 16 2008 |

amoyanzi

amoyanzi

China

yes~! respect all  and cherish all.

09:28 AM Nov 20 2008 |

cathyz

cathyz

China

Good! Live with happiness is important for all of us people.

07:17 AM Nov 20 2008 |

1 person likes this

Lindajan

Mexico

i dont undertain what can i do here? i wanna practice my grammar-writting…am i in the correct page? say me please….

05:32 AM Nov 20 2008 |

spring.0125

China

perfect

02:35 AM Nov 20 2008 |

yanmeihoo

yanmeihoo

China

enjoy our lives every day:)

04:46 AM Nov 19 2008 |

carolyn2008

China

I like the way of cheriching the simple happiness each day .

01:53 PM Nov 18 2008 |

shi shang yun

China

Yeah! I agree with the author.Laughing

Our life is very short.So do your best  to make everyday wedderfulSmile 

01:34 AM Nov 18 2008 |

Manchai

Manchai

India

Its really true !

v shud make our lives full of  happiness.

Nobody knws wen will which thing hpn in future?

07:19 PM Nov 17 2008 |

Allez! Arsène

China

We should be optimistic when encounering sth bad.

Make it easier and let it go.

The earth keeps moving day-by-day. Why not to choose a happy attitude to  enjoy our lives.Laughing

09:55 AM Nov 17 2008 |

noisy_boy

noisy_boy

Yemen

yeas  you  are right  i  agree with you.

and thank you for all

08:07 AM Nov 17 2008 |

lucky-tracy

China

Yes!

Happiness is not a destination but a day-by-day journey.

We should have a nice journey with our family.

07:11 AM Nov 17 2008 |

Likes (105):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast