Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

The Hills Have Eyes

The Hills Have Eyes

Date: Apr 19 2006

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

The Carters are a happy American family with an itch for the open road. They decide to take a vacation driving their motorhome through the beautiful deserts of Arizona, Nevada and New Mexico. Everything is great until their vehicle breaks down in a desolate part of the desert. Things get worse when a band of cannibals emerge from the dunes to massacre the Carter family.

Listen to Kayla tell Dave about The Hills Have Eyes.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Kayla

Kayla

Dave

Dave

Kayla:  The Hills Have Eyes, it’s a strange movie.

Dave:  When did you see it?

Kayla:  I saw it on, actually, I think it was a Tuesday night. It was kind of random, we didn’t really have any homework, and so my friend called me because she was bored, and she and I and my friend Thomas all went to see it, and it was kind of a strange movie. We were one of the few people in there, and a lot of the other people left. I think people were disturbed.

Dave:  They left in the middle of the movie?

Kayla:  Yeah. They got up and left.

Dave:  Why? I mean, was it boring?

Kayla:  No, I don’t think it was boring. I think it was just disturbing and strange and people didn’t really care to watch anymore of it.

Dave:  What’s the premise?

Kayla:  The premise is, there is a family of miners and they’re living in the desert. And, um, I guess U.S. troops wanted to test, um, what’s that called – radiation.

Dave:  Oh.

Kayla:  And so, they tested radiation and they told the miners to leave, and they said that that was their home and they didn’t want to leave. And so, they went down into the mines and they tested the radiation, and it made them, like, mutant people.

Dave:  The people living in the desert?

Kayla:  Yeah. And so, it turned them into these mutant, freakish people. And now they, like, trap people in the desert and they eat them.

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

The Hills Have Eyes is a social commentary on the use of nuclear technology. The movie shows actual footage from the atomic bomb tests in the 1940s and 1950s, when the U.S. military put troops near bomb sites to test the effects of radiation.

The Hills Have Eyes has been criticized for being way too gory. The movie is full of blood and violence, and many people leave the theaters before the movie has finished.

Some people say that violence in movies encourages people to be violent in real life. What do you think about violence in movies? Do people commit more crimes if they see crime on tv?

Comments

Mikobella

Mikobella

Poland

It’s just stupid film (and not scary)

08:26 PM Jun 05 2014 |

miffoo

miffoo

Slovakia

I saw this movie is awesome ‘LOL’

07:49 PM Jan 28 2009 |

teddy008

teddy008

China

I like the name of this movie,an absorbing name!

09:13 AM Apr 20 2006 |

Likes (14):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast