Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Busted

Busted

Date: Aug 15 2006

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

When Mel Gibson got busted for drunk driving, that wasn’t the only thing that got the Paparazzi’s attention. When he was arrested, Gibson blurted out anti-Semitic remarks. The arresting officer was Jewish.

It’s not the first time Gibson has been accused of anti-Semitism. A few years ago, when The Passion of the Christ came out, Gibson’s father, Hutton Gibson, said that the Holocaust was greatly exaggerated.

Listen to Kevin and Amanda talk about this recent event.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Kevin

Kevin

Amanda

Amanda

Kevin:  Have you been keeping up on the Mel Gibson drama, Amanda?

Amanda:  That’s all everyone’s talking about right now. Naughty, naughty boy.

Kevin:  Unbelievable. busted for drunk driving and, you know, on top of that, all these anti-Semitic comments. It’s really unbelievable to me.

Amanda:  I think that’s why people are having a hard time not talking about it with anybody right now. When The Passion of the Christ came out, and uh, he responded with, “To be anti-Semitic is a sin and I don’t do it.” And look here we are a few years later…

Kevin:  Like father like son it would appear, huh?

Amanda:  Absolutely, and actually why do you say that?

Kevin:  Because his father, when The Passion of the Christ came out was very vocal about … he believes… I believe he believes that the Holocaust didn’t occur.

Amanda:  Ah, one of those.

Kevin:  Yes.

Amanda:  Yes. One of those. Very interesting. And it’s interesting ‘cause Mel Gibson is supposed to be this family guy, correct? He has, what, 8000 children?

Kevin:  Something like that.

Amanda:  I lost track. It’s just really sad how… the example that he’s setting for his children in so many ways with this one incident.

Kevin:  Will you boycott him?

Amanda:  I think that I will.

Kevin:  Good. Me too.

Amanda:  Um, I don’t really care to see his face as much as I’m seeing right now on the news so I don’t really plan on paying good money to see any more of his films or any of his work.

Kevin:  Yeah, I totally agree.

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Have you ever heard anyone make anti-Semitic comments? What about negative comments about Christians or Muslims?

What do you know about World War II? What would you say to someone who says the Holocaust never happened?

Does Mel Gibson deserve to be boycotted?

Comments

saiedmara

saiedmara

Sudan

v.good lesson

09:29 AM May 06 2007 |

ola3

ola3Super Member!

Ukraine

To boycott Mel Gibson? For what? He appologized for expressing his opinion. Everyone has the right to do that.

02:10 AM Aug 17 2006 |

rehab_gad2000

Egypt

Mel Gibson has the rights to exoress hisself and his perspective. Is this an Americam democracy? and most of people are drunk driving not Mel gibson only. the Holocaust logically didn’t occur.

05:42 PM Aug 16 2006 |

dadac123

dadac123

China

This is my first lesson in EBaby,and I think it’s very cool.Though I don’t understand the passage very well,but I like the way to study.

04:00 PM Aug 15 2006 |

XPER

XPER

China

I hate all the people who are not respect the history.So,I feel ashamed about what the japanese premier did this morning as well.

07:55 AM Aug 15 2006 |

DeX

DeX

Germany

Kevin: Will you boycott him?
Amanda: I think that I will.
Kevin: good. Me too.

07:25 AM Aug 15 2006 |

Likes (10):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook