Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Not Eating in Hollywood

Not Eating in Hollywood

Date: Aug 23 2006

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

How do Hollywood’s leading ladies stay so thin?

A recent article in W Magazine reports that a number of Hollywood’s young actresses are taking a little pill to stay thin. The drug is Adderall, commonly prescribed to children with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). Adderall helps the mind focus. But one side effect is loss of appetite. And for those not afflicted with ADHD, the amphetamine is just speed.

Goodbye Marilyn Monroe. Hello Lindsay Lohan and Cameron Diaz. Emily and Toby talk about this latest trend.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Toby

Toby

Emily

Emily

Toby:  Apparently there’s a substantial number of actresses who are taking a drug that’s actually a pharmaceutical drug being subscribed to kids who have ADD, but actresses are taking it to control their weight and I guess it’s just this intense speed and they just crank all day, yeah, and they’re not hungry.

Emily:  So basically it forces them to be anorexic?

Toby:  Yeah. Ya know?

Emily:  Yeah and I wonder what that does for their body image. I mean, I wonder if it… ‘cause, I’m sure a lot of them who are really small starting out, you know, small in size, that is, um, feel that their body’s OK, like, they’re comfortable with their body, but then with so many people scrutinizing them, telling them that they’re too fat and they need to lose 20 more pounds, um, that must be really hard…

Toby:  Yeah.

Emily:  ... for their self esteem.

Toby:  Yeah. I remember reading something, like, a year or so ago, um, where Kate Winslet, who is not skinny… it’s like, she’s got hips, she’s got thighs, she’s got big boobs and she was saying, like, she hopes she can be a role model and, like, show girls that, like, you don’t have to be skinny to be beautiful.

Emily:  It’s to the point now where, I think, some actresses are so skinny. I mean, I could name a few off the top of my head, Nicole Richie and Kate Bosworth, and you see pictures of them and they are just all skin and bone and then you have the media praising them, “Oh they look fantastic,” but they’re just complete bones.

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Emily and Toby agree that the women in Hollywood are very skinny now.

Emily says that the stars are probably under a lot of pressure to be thin.

Toby likes the fact that Kate Winslet is trying to be a better example of beauty.

Do you think Hollywood fashion has an influence on your own culture? How? Is it OK to be fat in your country?

Comments

ARYA30

ARYA30

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

I agree with other ,health is most important than anything

Health is Wealth

08:05 PM Oct 17 2016 |

vik32

vik32

India

being faty and skinny neither is good for your own health. it is better to be fit and exercise daily to keep you motivating and making yourself fit. 

yaa its true hollywood stars are under a lot of pressure for glits and glamour that they forget about their health and start thinking about short term gains.

09:47 AM Sep 05 2014 |

aoyunhui

aoyunhui

China

hollywood fashion does have an influence on our culture.skinny girls are considered beautiful.that's why so many girls around me want to lose weight?

04:55 AM Oct 27 2008 |

foxnroll

foxnroll

Russian Federation

sometimes people should keep fit to keep health

12:09 PM Oct 01 2007 |

peppermint_91

Germany

I can’t understand why Nicole Richie or others still think they are sexy if they look like bones.

08:05 PM Aug 28 2006 |

constfang

constfang

China

I agree with KOMOO.
Healthy body is important than anything else. Without it, we can do nothing.

10:41 AM Aug 25 2006 |

KOMOO

KOMOO

Taiwan

Over slim is a morbidity. Keeping healthy is more important.

04:16 AM Aug 23 2006 |

Likes (34):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast