Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Special Features

Special Features

Date: Nov 01 2006

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

One of the benefits to renting DVDs these days is that you get a lot more than a movie.

Most DVDs come with special features. You can watch interviews with actors and directors. Often there is commentary on the film. The filmmakers talk about why they made certain decisions, and
disclose other interesting facts about the making of the film. And sometimes, especially on comedies, there is the gag reel. These scenes can be as funny as the ones in the movie.

Mason and Amanda both take advantage of the special features. Listen to them chat about it.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Mason

Mason

Amanda

Amanda

Mason:  So when you rent a DVD, do you just watch the movie? Or do you watch the movie and then, you know, go and check out the features?

Amanda:  Depends on the flick.

Mason:  All right.

Amanda:  If it’s a comedy, I gotta check out the deleted scenes.

Mason:  Kay. Now there’s, they always make a difference between the deleted scenes and the gag reel, right?

Amanda:  Right.

Mason:  I like the… I still watch the deleted scenes nine out of ten times, but the gag reel, that’s always just funny. It’s a cheap laugh, but, hey, I like a cheap laugh now and again.

Amanda:  Kinda like the outtakes?

Mason:  Yeah, exactly.

Amanda:  The bloopers, the blunders...

Mason:  It’s the bloopers. The gag reel I suppose is the professional, uh, term. But honestly, the thing I get most excited about are, like, watching the commentaries. And it’s not every movie that I do that for, but if it’s actually the director talking on a movie that I really like, like the Lord of the Rings films…

Amanda:  OK.

Mason:  ... or you know, some of that, then I get really into it. But then there’s really funny ones too, you know, if it’s with good actors that you think will have a nice comradery. Some of the, uh, Trey Parker/Matt Stone films, like, the South Park film and Cannibal! The Musical. Their commentary tracks are ridiculous. Cannibal! The Musical, they basically just drink a bunch of tequila during the commentary.

Amanda:  So they’re drunk during the commentary.

Mason:  Drunk commentary.

Amanda:  So they’re very eloquent.

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Amanda loves to watch the deleted scenes when she rents a comedy.

Mason usually watches the deleted scenes, but he always watches the gag reel.

Mason’s favorite DVD special feature is the commentary. He likes to learn about how the film was made. He points out that these can be very funny too.

Do you watch the special features on the DVDs you rent?

Comments

cords_107

cords_107

Philippines

Yeah, special features add entertainment. Especially in cartoon movies…oohh, my kids really love those.

04:20 AM Jul 17 2007 |

gcustodio

Argentina

f

11:46 PM May 10 2007 |

KOMOO

KOMOO

Taiwan

I like to watch the special features on DVDs I rent. It’s very funny, too.

04:25 PM Nov 01 2006 |

Likes (9):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast