Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

in the back of my head

in the back of my head

Date: Dec 14 2006

1. Quote - Listen to the quote and guess what the slang means.

”...that was something in the back of my head: How do I move people? I pride myself on being a great entertainer.”

Sean “P. Diddy” Combs talking about his music.

Definition

1. Definition - Study the definition.

on my mind; deep down; thoughts that cannot be ignored

2. Use - Learn how the slang is used.

When P. Diddy says there was something in the back of his head, he means there was a voice in his mind that pushed him in a certain direction. As he makes his music, one thought that guides him is moving people, having an effect on people.

Many artists and writers have something in the back of their heads as they create things, a motivating thought or feeling that is almost a part of the unconscious.

When people talk about what’s in the back of their head, they are talking about a gut feeling or their true beliefs or what they think is right.

If you cheat on your girlfriend, chances are you know it’s wrong. You might tell your friend, “The whole time I was cheating, in the back of my head, I knew it was wrong.

You might write a love poem that perhaps was really motivated by just one person. You can say, “The poem is about love in general, but in the back of my head, I was thinking about my ex.”

Examples

1. Examples - Hear some example sentences.

In the back of my head, I suspected he was cheating on me. I just couldn’t face it.”

“Even though I studied Spanish in college, in the back of my head, since I was a kid, I’ve wanted to be a writer.”

“Lucy married Ricky even though, in the back her head, she knew she didn’t love him.”

Winners

1. Winners - See who guessed the slang definition correctly.

Y.Furu deeply in one's thought
by Y.Furu
to have an idea on his mind
by vreni
I guess that means somebody think something,somebody always ponder on something.
by pfpuff
rare93 in my mind..
by rare93
EmzBe Somwhere in Mind!
by EmzBe
An insight, a great idea in mind.
by il teachesseur
I had knowledge or information about something hidden in my mind from the past ,and I recalled this memory and used of it for something at present time.
by juliyana
thoughts about something
by anna2
JazzThing P. Diddy always thought of the idea that he wanted to entertain people with his music and that was important to him
by JazzThing
=peter= in my memory
by =peter=
amy tong in my mind
by amy tong
in the back of my head:i am thinking of something. something troubles my mind.
by Dezi
amado kept in his mind ,remember it
by amado
Lini in my mind
by Lini
May be it is some kind of thoughts,ideas,minds.I mean ulterior motive.May be some guess which appeared in your mind,or unexpected thoughts!That's my idea!
by lady_r

Want to guess next week's slang?

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Comments

sunil22

India

it`s about inner mind!deeply thinking with himself.

07:31 AM Dec 14 2007 |

assia

assia

Algeria

In the back of my head=On my mind

12:05 PM Apr 16 2007 |

waleedmahmoud

Egypt

To have an idea.

03:21 AM Dec 16 2006 |

mohammed-fadel

Morocco

out of my mind

08:23 PM Dec 14 2006 |

rafael_bio

rafael_bio

Brazil

In the back of my head, there was some obscure things and at the same time cleary thoughts and minds. The balance of both is the way to find out myself…

03:51 PM Dec 14 2006 |

hobobuster

hobobuster

United States

to tell you the truth, i thought it was “in the back of my mind…” but ehh, whatever!

02:47 PM Dec 14 2006 |

Likes (31):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast