Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

game

game

Date: Oct 24 2002

1. Quote - Listen to the quote and guess what the slang means.

“The fact that [the press is] always writing about me going out with everybody might be hurting my game.”
- Jennifer Love Hewitt, actress and singer, talking about dating.

Definition

1. Definition - Study the definition.

ability to be successful, perceived as cool

2. Use - Learn how the slang is used.

Game” is a tricky term to use. It has many different applications, in many different situations. The most important thing to remember is that if you have game, you’re cool. Cool people have game. Uncool people don’t. For example, Michael Jordan’s got game. He’s a great basketball player and a cool person. George Bush doesn’t have game. He might be the President of the U.S., but he’s not a cool guy.

Examples

1. Examples - Hear some example sentences.

””Jeff has so much game. Every girl I know likes him. He could go on a date with a different girl every night if he wanted to.”“

””I have no game lately. Nothing is going right for me. I need to figure out a way to get it back. My life sucks right now.”“

””Sarah thought she had major game until she failed math class. Now she has to study all the time to make up for it. She’s going to have to work really hard if she wants to go to college.”“

Winners

1. Winners - See who guessed the slang definition correctly.

I think the “game” here probably means one’s chances for dates. As the press might let the public have the impression that the actress gets lots of dates, she loses the chances relatively that she may fail to have possible dates.
by Yuchen
My game in this context means “personal image”.
by Marialba
I think the press said Jeniffer’s dating out with everybody would have a bad influence on her fans’ feelings. ‘Game’ here might refer to her business, or occupation of being an actress and singer.
by Freddie (Shantou, China)
She is talking about dating, she is talking about the time when she went out.
by Rubem (Salvador, Bahia, Brazil)
I think game the way you say it means like life, or life in a way is a game and people are trying to mess it up?
by Jeonghoon (Taegu S. Korea)
Game” means the way she is facing things, her behaviour, her way of living.
by Bethania (Camaquã, RS, Brazil)
I think “my game” means “my career”.
by Solange (Brazil)

Want to guess next week's slang?

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Comments

WobblyJoe

WobblyJoe

United States

fear not a2020, I never had game and I still found a wife, now I’m a grandfather. 
“Game” is a hard word, with many shades of meanings.

08:55 PM Jan 14 2018 |

coolfuji

China

In my opinion,it may  just be the bottom of one'heart.

02:43 PM May 13 2009 |

Likes (7):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast