Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Staycation

Staycation

Date: Sep 08 2009

Themes: Family, Holidays, Travel

Grammar: Phrasal Verbs

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

Where would you most like to go on vacation? Paris? London? The Amazon Rainforest? Each of these destinations has its own appeal, sure. But why not stay at home and enjoy a staycation from the comfort of your very own living room?

Not everyone can afford to go jet-setting off to some exotic locale for vacation. And some might not want to. It could be fun to relax at home and spend quality time with friends and family instead of taking an expensive trip. Or you could pretend to be a tourist in your hometown. There are probably lots of sights right in your own backyard that you never visit, even though they’re so close.

Listen to Mason discuss his staycation plans with Dale.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Mason

Mason

Dale

Dale

Mason:  So Dale, I’m not sure if you read my blog, but I was gonna try to go to Mexico for New Year’s, and that all really fell through. So I’m looking at a bit of a staycation I think.

Dale:  Staycation. You know, from what everybody’s been telling me it’s like the new thing. Although vacation is great. Are you planning to do something locally and utilize the actual word of staycation by seeing the sights like a normal tourist would do at their hometown?

Mason:  I feel like staycation is within a two hour radius of your home base, if you’re driving someplace.

Dale:  Do you think it’s more like, “We’re just in town, might as well try something we haven’t tried” type of thing?

Mason:  I think that’s definitely part of it. You know how you have friends come to town and you’re showing them all the sights, and you kind of realize there’s a lot of the big things in wherever you live that you probably don’t do that often. So there are those opportunities.

Dale:  Are you gonna take advantage of those opportunities?

Mason:  I might hit up the zoo. If possible. I could zoo it up.

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "Phrasal Verbs" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Mason had been hoping to go to Mexico for New Year’s Eve. Unfortunately, that plan didn’t work out. So now he’s thinking he will just stay at home and have a staycation instead. Dale thinks this is a popular trend right now.

There are many different ways to have a staycation. Mason says he thinks he might make a short trip no more than two hours away from his home by car. A staycation might also include acting like a tourist in your own city. Mason is thinking about visiting the zoo during his staycation.

Have you ever had a staycation? If you were a tourist in your own town, where would you go?

Comments

Asined

Albania

to hit up the museum

03:59 PM May 07 2012 |

svs

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

hi i want save vocab what should i do?

03:14 AM Mar 26 2010 |

Chydo Zhenia

Belarus

I prefer to travel to other places where I could see the old architecture, different customs and people.

04:24 AM Oct 26 2009 |

1 person likes this

Marcelolic

Marcelolic

Brazil

Always that I can,I really like to travel,even to someplace near my town and spending my free time in other place ;)

12:18 AM Sep 16 2009 |

Marcelolic

Marcelolic

Brazil

Hummm I guess it is a bit "boring" staycation"...Moreover if you know all your city! hehehe

I think for Brazilian it is a synonymous of "you are missing of money to travel"! hehe…Ok serious,I love to travel! and sure,if I'm missing money,what can I do? the way is "staycation"! hahaha Being at home,watching movies on DVD,eating popcorn,hang oout with friend…Like we say here "doing alternative programs" hehe ;)

12:15 AM Sep 16 2009 |

Dabren

Dabren

Mexico

Hi stay in staycation right now!!! ha ha ha ha ha ….

I love staycations!!!

Where r u A.S.K.O!!!!????

06:01 PM Sep 13 2009 |

akacsan

akacsan

United States

Sounds crazy, but I feel like a tourist in mytown. : )

09:17 AM Sep 13 2009 |

Umi

Umi

China

yes ,i agree with you !i come from fujian。i fell so happy to meet you !!

02:56 PM Sep 11 2009 |

Yuliana20

Yuliana20

Russian Federation

If I were a tourist in my own town I would go to the museum,visit Red Square and other tourists attractionsSmile

12:39 PM Sep 11 2009 |

sukya

sukya

China

staycation might be comfortable….but for me,i prefer to go jet-setting off to some exotic locale for vacation!

12:03 AM Sep 10 2009 |

rosendo

rosendo

Mexico

staycation is an activity that i practice every winter's holiday bcs i rather spend my time with my family instead of go to another place. but in spring and summer,EUREKA !!!!! i hit up with my friends to the beach.Cool

02:17 PM Sep 09 2009 |

Ca_Brazil

Ca_Brazil

Brazil

i have, actually i do that a lot. since i cant afford a expensive trip lately. so i am sure there are some things to do in my home town, i will try to hit good sights over here in my next staycation. i would go to some historic places, popular restaurants and might as well go to sao paulo its not that far to me, there are a lot of good things to hit up there.

11:01 PM Sep 08 2009 |

unwound

Turkey

I bought an English guide about my city and I found many places that I hardly know and worth to visit. It's good to read my own city's history in english, too.

06:52 PM Sep 08 2009 |

ReEno_94

ReEno_94

Jordan

Yes, of course. I go back hometown twice a year, basically they were all stay cation.

This month I'll take my annual break, and go traveling some places, next month, it'll be our National Day and another 8 days break, I'll go back hometown to take stay cation. 

Actually my hometown is a famous traveling city, with a lot of scenic spots, so there're too many choices for me, never worry about that.

05:10 PM Sep 08 2009 |

Miss Monroy

Mexico

Well my city isnt too big, so i already know it like the palm of my hand. But in a staycation i rather to spend some quality time with my family and friends and visit the places close to my city.

04:14 PM Sep 08 2009 |

Alvin-man

Alvin-man

China

wow  its  too fast 

i cant remember 

god 

03:04 PM Sep 08 2009 |

jorin08

jorin08

China

staycation in some place of quanzhou,fujian province,really kind of adventure.
strolling in the ancient narrow street in a rainy day,the grayness made me a nightmare.

02:11 PM Sep 08 2009 |

emmashow1280

China

yes well i always think about travel .around the world. but i realize i never visit my hometown's great wall! even it is famous. and yes i might as  well  hit up there cause it is in my own backyard.and that's good advice for instead of very expensive trip. nice lesson!

12:35 PM Sep 08 2009 |

Naomi1010

Naomi1010

Taiwan

LOL, sometimes it’s fun to have a staycation. Getting to know better about the place u live. :)

11:48 AM Sep 08 2009 |

sofree

sofree

China

Yes, of course. I go back hometown twice a year, basically they were all staycation.

This month I'll take my annual break, and go traveling some places, next month, it'll be our National Day and another 8 days break, I'll go back hometown to take staycation. 

Actually my hometown is a famous traveling city, with a lot of scenic spots, so there're too many choices for me, never worry about that.

09:15 AM Sep 08 2009 |

Likes (26):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast