Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Where You're From

Where You're From

Date: Jun 04 2021

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

Hi Friends!
When getting to know someone, it’s common to talk about where you come from. Your background has a lot to do with who you are, so you can help someone understand you better if you tell them about your hometown and your history. Also, it’s interesting to hear what someone else’s opinions are about the place where you grew up. Often, his/her idea of it will be much different than yours.
Josh and Beth recently compared their upbringings, which were very different. Listen in to their conversation to learn more!

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Beth

Beth

Josh

Josh

Beth:  Josh, when was the last time that you, uh, went home to visit your friends and family?

Josh:  Um, trying to remember, I think I was up there… Oh yeah – I was just up there in February for my birthday and for my dad’s birthday.

Beth:  Where are you from again?

Josh:  Oh, I’m from Alaska.

Beth:  Oh, right on. That’s cool. I’ve always wanted to visit Alaska. What’s it like?

Josh:  Well, I mean, I wouldn’t have the same perspective as someone visiting there. It’s a, it’s a great place to visit and I guess for a lot of people it’s a great place to live too. But, I felt really isolated growing up there. I mean, it is beautiful, there’s tons of beauty. But it’s so far away from everything, and when I was a kid, you know, we didn’t have the internet, you know, my town didn’t have a bookstore, a music store. It’s just, like, hard to feel connected to the rest of the world.

Beth:  I can see that. Growing up in New York, I felt very connected to millions of people. I mean, it’s just a, a really, I guess, different experience living in a place where you’re inundated with, uh, media and people and action…

Josh:  Yeah, I mean, I would’ve, I would’ve loved to grow up in New York, you know. We got, like, big blockbuster movies came out six months late in Alaska, ‘cause we only had two screens, you know. It’s just, uh, it’s a… It was a real different way to grow up than a lot of people in the U.S., I think.

Beth:  It seems really peaceful there. I mean, at least that’s my impression of it.

Josh:  Yeah. I mean, it’s quiet. We had a lot of land to ourselves. We didn’t really have neighbors. Um, wildlife and forests, like, all around us, like right at our house. But, but, I don’t know, I couldn’t have a conversation with the wildlife. I want to be around people.

Beth:  It must have been cool, I mean, were there wild animals roaming through your backyard, or…?

Josh:  Literally.

Beth:  Wow.

Josh:  Yeah, I mean, moose or bears. We had a bear visit our house for a couple days once, and that kind of stuff is just constant. It was cool, I guess, I mean, reflecting back on it, but when I was, when I was living there I just wanted to get out.

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Like Beth, many people think Alaska is a beautiful, peaceful and majestic place. Josh doesn’t disagree, but it’s easy to understand why he’s not as enthusiastic about it as Beth is. He spent many years in the cold and lonely state, and he’s happy to be in a big city with lots of things to do. Josh probably has the ideal situation now, because he can live in Portland, but visit Alaska whenever he wants.
Where are you from? Are you able to describe your hometown and your history in detail (in English)? If not, you should find somebody to tell your story to. It’s a great way to practice your English!
Have a great week!
Tanis

Comments

halley01

Turkey

I just came to this site hello to you all

11:00 AM Jul 25 2018 |

halley01

Turkey

i am from Turkey

10:56 AM Jul 25 2018 |

veronika14

Moldova, Republic Of

i’ d add a bit words about that. Every corner of the  ground inspires us unusual beaty. i haven’t visit so many countries but those place where i have been someday make me to feel the part of this world. Because people you meet there are part of tose place. 

09:27 PM Aug 25 2017 |

Michae18615555

Russian Federation

Hi.I’m from Russia.There are many beautifull places in our country,it’s immense.Suggest to visit Baikal(dippest lake in the world),it is amazing nature there.

01:21 AM Jul 30 2017 |

China

Oh!

04:15 AM Jan 26 2017 |

monsterTJ

monsterTJ

Sudan

Sudanese boy

06:52 PM Oct 09 2016 |

alisaeidinia

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

hello

i am ali from iran

i happy if you be my friend

tank

07:38 AM Sep 12 2015 |

Duygu35

Duygu35

Turkey

I am from Turkey.I live in İzmir with my family,but I was living in Isparta for unıversty.İzmir is very beatifull city,the best and funny city in Turkey.

09:13 PM Sep 10 2015 |

helen_zhubatch

China

I am from Shanghai China, but I live in Croatia. Shanghai is amazing and I cannot possibly described how much i love it by using my current English skill. Croatia is also a nice country in Europe, you should totally visit the desside here, BEAUTIFUL!  

05:46 PM Oct 08 2014 |

vicmay_lo-flo@live.com.mx

Mexico

i’m from mexico city !!! but mexico it’s bigger…. has beautiful pleaces that you must visit:::: =)

05:00 PM Oct 08 2014 |

Rainn_00

Rainn_00

Turkey

Well, I’m From Turkey. I live in Ankara but I’m reading in Çorum. Where I live too big and quite pretty intense trafic. Despite this Ankara is a city is quite impressive. You need to come in here and feel it with your heart.

:)

01:32 AM Jul 20 2014 |

Aisbaby

Aisbaby

Kazakhstan

Actually I’m from Kazakhstan, Astana city. It is a capital of Kazakhstan. Nowadays I’m studying in USA master degree. Kazakhstan – is the Central Asia. I really miss my country.

11:41 PM Jul 19 2014 |

arman19940326

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

Well,I’m from Iran,known as persia in past.The city i’m living in now, is small and a little untidy but because of touching the beautiful caspian sea it has fantastic views.Growing up as a child here,was good in some ways but it was awefull in some other ways.Because of the nature and the mild weather and enthusiastic people surrounded me it was a great place to live,but the lack of some important facilities such as gyms,parks,zoos,cinemas,hotels and other things it was and is terrible!

10:13 PM Jul 19 2014 |

Peter12321

Peter12321

Australia

I’m from Australia, although i’m of Vietnamese heritage, i find the Australian people comforting and friendly. Australia is really a great country becuase of its multi-culturalism. There are many ethnicities to encounter, especially in the city of Sydney, where a strong chinese community is present as well as many others.

Hey ‘iamEiLy’, your english is superb. I am amazed, what’s your secret.

11:55 AM Jul 08 2014 |

iamEiLy

iamEiLy

China

Umm,Im from Guangdong province,China. Its a beautiful place located in the South coast of China,it has a unique style in languages,customs,histories and cultures. 
But actually,i spent my childhood in Shanghai~ i think this is my second hometown,Shanghai is a great city too as most people think so.
Ahh,i think,all the words to describe the good of China is useless,you should come here and feel it yourself with your heart,then you will find China is pretty. :)
Sometimes i found some people from other countries,seems that they dont like China,i felt sad with this,they dont really know China and Chinese just judged.
I know,sometimes there are some Chinese did something bad,but every country has some people like them,right? and on the contrary,the rest of people are full of love,hope and postive energy,and i believe,kind people are always more than bad! 
So,to be a Chinese,im really proud of this,i wanna improve,most people of Chinese are good just like me,and i believe people on the other countries are very good,too.
 If someday you will come here,i think you will meet someone good,or if you get some troubles,you will get help. :) of course,you should be a good person when you meet someone from other countries.

ahh,i think i feel some stray from the point,but all i said,is postive,this is enough,right? 

Tue,July 8,2014
19:17 (im gotta have dinner now,mom looks a bit angry,haha~)
See u.
Eily 

vvv_

vvv_

China

i am from guangxi.

07:23 AM Jul 08 2014 |

milarpita86

India

It’s nice article….realy good

regards

www.blogkise.blogspot.com

10:53 PM Jul 06 2014 |

kimnga

kimnga

Viet Nam

I was born in Saigon which is Hochiminh City now; and I have been living there since my childhood . I live in the South of VN so we only have two seasons - sunny and rainy while in the North of my country , we have four seasons like your country. Rainy season normally starts from May until end of October, and  we are now in the rainy season here. I love to sit by the window to watch the falling rain outside and dream of something.

07:48 AM Jul 06 2014 |

sumbee

France

its nice lesson

01:56 PM Jun 28 2014 |

JOSS

Mexico

I´m from Mexico

I have a challenge of my English class. I must keep in touch with an English native speaker in order to get a grade. I hope someone can help me.

Thank you!!

02:05 AM Jun 05 2014 |

Likes (480):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog: