Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

The Lord of the Rings

The Lord of the Rings

Date: Jan 23 2002

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

Have you read The Lord of the Rings Trilogy by J.R.R. Tolkien? The Fellowship of the Ring is the first book in this trilogy. It’s also the #1 movie on the top ten movie list! Listen below to learn more about this epic.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Nedra

Nedra

Miguel

Miguel

Nedra:  How long has that movie, * The Lord of The Rings, been out for?

Miguel:  It’s been out for several weeks. I saw it like at Christmas time.

Nedra:  Did you have to wait in line to see it?

Miguel:  Well, actually, what’s funny is my cousin bought tickets like three weeks in advance and like got reserved seats at the theatre so we didn’t have to wait in line at all.

Nedra:  Just like watching Star Wars, huh?

Miguel:  It was crazy, I mean, there were people who were in line for like four hours before the movie started.

Nedra:  Have you read the books?

Miguel:  I haven’t actually read the trilogy, but I read The Hobbit which is kind of like the precursor to the whole trilogy.

Nedra:  I haven’t read the books, but I really want to see the movie.

Miguel:  Well, apparently the movie does a great job of representing what’s in the books. It’s, um, it brings to life a lot of the stuff, but I think it also leaves some stuff out.

Nedra:  Okay, so I heard the next movie’s gonna come out around Christmas time or so?

Miguel:  Well yeah, and that’s really hard because when you watch the first movie, you really want to see the next one. And to wait a whole year, that’s a long time.

Nedra:  Yeah. I think a lot of people have a hard time waiting.

Miguel:  It’s not like Star Wars* either where it’s like a complete movie. I mean it really just stops in the middle of the story so it leaves you hanging, you know.

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

The basic story of The Fellowship of the Rings is about a ring. Frodo, a young hobbit, inherits the ring from his uncle Bilbo. (Bilbo’s adventures can be found in the book The Hobbit) The ring can release evil power over the people in their world.
Frodo needs to destory the ring so that the Dark Lord Sauron will not manipulate the ring’s powers and enslave the people of their world. Frodo gathers a fellowship of a wizard, an elf, a dwarf, some humans, and others to destroy the ring. They discover how powerful the ring is through their adventures to the volcanic fires in the Crack of Doom where they hope the ring will be destroyed.
That’s all I really know about the story without reading the book or watching the movie. You should go check it out yourself and write us at the Movie Madness message board. I’ll go check out the movie once the lines are shorter at the theatre :)
See ya soon!
Nedra

Comments

TIDING

TIDING

Algeria

The actors (and actresses) were perfect. I can’t think of anyone else for any role that would be better for those roles.

There was some stuff I missed from all of the books that weren’t in the movies but I don’t really mind that much becoz they have so much from the books to put into only three movies, so I have no complaints about that.

WHOAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I LOVED all their places. They were exactly right, and they went to lots of trouble to make them just right, so I love them for that!! The Shire is gorgeous, Mordor is awesome and so is everywhere else!! They did an awesome job!

I also loved the music.. it was so.. MIDDLE EARTHISH and gorgeous and it makes me cry every time I hear it. Very fitting, and it’s one of my fave tunes!!

06:18 PM Jul 22 2014 |

mehdimansiz

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

I saw the trilogy

I like to find the books but I haven’t found yet

I thing it have a very good story

09:40 PM Jul 12 2013 |

YANKEE

YANKEE

Egypt

thanks

10:08 PM Mar 26 2008 |

YANKEE

YANKEE

Egypt

i love the film

10:07 PM Mar 26 2008 |

YANKEE

YANKEE

Egypt

i love the film

10:04 PM Mar 26 2008 |

annie starra natta

Indonesia

I love Return of The King(Movie) a lot!!

I havnt got the chance to grab a copy of it though

03:01 AM Dec 26 2007 |

lishiping

China

there haven’t been a chance for me to feel the film

09:40 AM Nov 10 2007 |

lishiping

China

where could I see this film free

09:33 AM Nov 10 2007 |

Michellita

Michellita

Brazil

The best movie ever!!!
Everything is perfect, cast, setting, soundtrack, special effects… PERFECT!!

10:15 PM Oct 11 2007 |

explorer143

Pakistan

but am not! lol
because i never see it!

07:38 AM Aug 01 2007 |

Josh K

Josh K

Guatemala

I m fan of lord of the ring

12:44 AM May 03 2007 |

Likes (21):