Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Love Actually

Love Actually

Date: Dec 02 2003

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

In the new movie Love Actually, love is causing chaos for everyone. From the bachelor Prime Minister of the United Kingdom who, on his first day at work, falls in love with the girl who brings him his tea, to a hopeless sandwich delivery guy who doesn’t think he has a chance with the girls in the U.K., so he heads for the state of Wisconsin, USA. From aging rock stars, to a stony headmistress, to a monolingual Portuguese housemaid-love arrives in many forms, shapes and sizes. Here, ten separate-but intertwining—stories of love all lead up to a big climax on Christmas Eve, proving that love is the driving force in all of these people’s lives.  
Miguel recently saw Love Actually. Listen in to his conversation with Beth to hear what he has to say about it.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Miguel

Miguel

Beth

Beth

Miguel:  Hey Beth, I saw a movie the other night that I know you would absolutely love.

Beth:  What was it called?

Miguel:  Love Actually. Have you heard of it?

Beth:  Oh yeah. Isn’t that with Hugh Grant?

Miguel:  Yeah. It has Hugh Grant and then a whole bunch of other stars like, uh, they’re mostly British people like Keira Knightly and Colin Firth and some of those other big famous actors over there.

Beth:  So what, what’s it about?

Miguel:  Well, it’s pretty much about ten, or fifteen, or sort of countless number of love stories. And they’re all happening at the same time, and a lot of the stories are, um, sort of twisting together, and, and a lot of the characters know each other but they’re not necessarily interacting in the movie. If that makes any sense.

Beth:  That makes sense. So, is it one of those plots where everything sort of comes together and you understand the relationship between these different characters, or is it not so neat and tidy in the end?

Miguel:  Yeah – it actually ends up being pretty neat and tidy, but it’s not, there’s not a lot of suspense, you know. It’s kind of a feel-good movie and at the end, um, more than anything you just have a tear in your eye and a big smile on your face, you know.

Beth:  So, is it the kind of film that you learn some profound lesson about human interaction and relationships, or is it more of a feel-good film in the end?

Miguel:  I don’t think there’s anything profound except that love conquers all and, and has the potential to make everyone happy.

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

I haven’t seen Love Actually yet, but I plan to. It looks like a fun movie and the cast is amazing. It’s really rare to have so many big stars in one movie. I’m looking forward to seeing it as soon as I get the chance.
If you like love stories that are like Love Actually, you might want to check out some of Hugh Grant’s other films, like Bridget Jones’s Diary, Notting Hill, Nine Months or Four Weddings and a Funeral.
See you at the movies!
Zach

Comments

Mikobella

Mikobella

Poland

I love all films with Hugh Grant- he’s best British actor for me, btw he has deep and cute voice and of course is (sorry, small correction: was) handsome;)). “Love actually” is pretty good film, absorbing Christmas love story- and a whole galaxy of film stars!- and actually I like it;)

10:10 PM Dec 18 2013 |

Zambuka

Zambuka

United States

it's one of my favourite movies

12:05 PM Feb 02 2010 |

Enrique Muñoz

Spain

The best part Hugh Grant has ever played was as Lord Byron in a Spanish movie entitled Remando al viento, by Gonzalo Suárez. I like him in Bittermoon as well.

10:59 PM May 04 2008 |

jana.czech

jana.czech

Czech Republic

It is really worth seeing! Hugh Grant is yummy there. And the Christmas version of the old Wet Wet Wet song "Love is All Around Us" sung by the old rock star sounds fuuny too :-)!!

05:40 PM May 01 2008 |

mist64

mist64

Slovenia

It is really one of the feel-good movie. I watched it several times and I know I'll watch it again.

07:43 AM Jan 19 2008 |

Josh K

Josh K

Guatemala

full in love

04:37 PM Apr 29 2007 |

Likes (39):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace