Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in
"wicked cool"

"wicked cool"

Date: May 10 2007

Topic: Idioms and Slang

Author: zz-top

Lesson

One of the interesting things about travelling around the US is that each region has its own set of slang.  I recently moved to the Northeast (pretty close to Boston), and one word I've been hearing a lot of is "wicked".

"Wicked" is used when you really want to emphaize a point.  For example, I think these new Member Lessons are awesome, so I'd say "these new lessons are aweome".  If I was describing it to a friend and wanted to let them know that I feel very strongly about it, I'd say "these new lessons are wicked awesome".

Be careful - if you're in California people might not be familiar with this expression.  It's only used in New England (Northeast US).

Comments

ramz21

Indonesia

Info lebih lanjut Visit : http://gejalastroke.tasikstore.com/
Gejala Storoke ringan dan cara menanganinya secara alami harus diperhatikan selalu secara serius , karena saat ini kasus penyakit stroke banyak terjadi dikalangan masyarakat dari mulai stroke ringan hingga stroke berat.
Meski yang dialami masih gejala stroke ringan tapi penanganannya harus secara tepat karena bisa berakibat fatal jika tidak diatasi dengan obat stroke yang ampuh. Sebelum kita membahas lebih lanjut mengenai pengobatan stroke, maka kita harus mempelajari dulu tentang apa itu penyakit stroke, penyebab penyakit stroke, gejala stroke,
serta bahaya apa yang bisa muncul? Setelah itu baru kita bisa memilih obat stroke yang tepat yang akan kita gunakan.

07:33 AM Aug 30 2016 |

sylviane

Israel

i like to be informed about everything….and i really appreciate your lesson as a wicked curious person….may i ask if …wicked is a synonym of quite ?

12:37 PM Jun 21 2016 |

saeedshin

saeedshin

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

I think this tip is good but not useful as the other lessons

I mean If we learn something like this with low area of using It is not useful at all

I appreciate your effort of “zz-top” who is the writer of this slang lesson however, we need to learn more useful slangs which is applicable in most of our conversions

I hope my explanation does not suffer expert writer

08:43 PM Aug 15 2012 |

1 person likes this

Plx

Plx

Turkey

This leson is wicked useful (: 

08:11 PM Aug 15 2012 |

toxic2134@yahoo.com

China

the information u shared is wicked useful and interesting. (am i using it in a right way?Tongue out

02:22 PM Jul 21 2012 |

zzz666

Italy

nice

05:14 PM Oct 21 2010 |

stellastar

stellastar

Russian Federation

i l trz to memorize this expression very interesting The most important not to use it in other states)))

02:26 AM May 14 2009 |

小瀴

小瀴

Taiwan

It's useful. I learned new lesson. I'll remember it.

02:07 AM Nov 24 2008 |

jeke

jeke

Thailand

wow!! 

08:26 AM Sep 04 2008 |

cherry05262003

Taiwan

It's wicked awesome to use this word in other situation!!

05:44 PM Aug 22 2008 |

edmondson

France

Hello all. This is my first post. I'm an English Teacher living in Paris. I was just reading the comments about the word wicked and I saw some speculation as to where the expression originated. I think, well no, I know, it's way older than is said. I'm from Jamaica West Indies. I'm 42 and when we were growing up, we said wicked for everything. In the same way you could say something that's really good, is bad. In fact, in Jamaica, we say wicked all the time, even now. I think that the expression has come to you from Jamaica. The English have been saying wicked for quite some time now, I would think because of a huge Jamaican community over there in London and Bristol. Sometimes, we would say "wicked and wiley" (meaning "wicked and wild"). I imagine that, evolution obliging, it has become even more of an amplifier for adjectives, hence wicked cool, wicked awesome, wicked sexy, wicked whatever-you-want. This is all based on my personal experience and deduction and is just my opinion. Hope it helps! Cool site, English Bay! is. Wicked.

09:51 AM Aug 22 2008 |

apo azoz

apo azoz

Qatar

hi ;;;

how are you

11:41 AM Jul 27 2008 |

johr bhr

johr bhr

Syrian Arab Republic

Surprised

10:09 AM Jun 17 2008 |

rolando2711

Peru

excellent advertation , well i would like to travel to Utah,

hahaha 

06:50 PM Jun 14 2008 |

aljensen

aljensen

United States

Yeah, I've only heard this in Boston or the Boston area. Whenever I've heard anyone say this outside of Boston it was usually as a joke, usually they would imitate a thick Boston accent and say it.

03:04 PM Jun 05 2008 |

smartyali

smartyali

Pakistan

now u don't say mm wicked kewl…....cuz i know that Wink

02:15 PM Jun 05 2008 |

lillll

United States

i hear australians say it pretty much about weared , evil things and  enthusiastic manners ,

that was wicked , like awkward

09:59 PM Jun 02 2008 |

Steven.Me

Steven.Me

China

Woo```I have ever heard it in the American movies and I want to know the use of "wired"

03:29 PM May 14 2008 |

niresprince

Thailand

you'r wicked man!!!!

04:46 PM Mar 30 2008 |

Likes (74):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter