Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Maybe Another Time...

Maybe Another Time...

Date: Jun 01 2007

Themes: How To, Romance

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

Have you ever had a dating slump where you just can’t seem to connect with anyone you meet? Flirting can be a really hard thing to do well. It’s also hard to say what makes someone good at flirting and someone else bad at it. But Kevin has a theory about that. Listen to him help Mason try to figure out why he can’t get anyone to go out with him.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Kevin

Kevin

Mason

Mason

Kevin:  What’s going on?

Mason:  You know it’s spring, so if I’ve been kinda…had my eye out for something going on. But I think my game’s a little bit off.

Kevin:  What’s wrong?

Mason:  Well first of all, nothing I’m doing seems to work so I need to go back to, like, Flirting 101. I don’t know.

Kevin:  I think flirting is a real art and I think a lot of people just don’t have it at all or don’t make much of an effort.

Mason:  I’ll probably fall in the latter category.

Kevin:  Why’s that?

Mason:  Well a lot of it is you’ve got to be really out going, you gotta have a certain bravado, when I’ve been to like Spain and what not, they’re like raised to do that.

Kevin:  They’re taught how to flirt, exactly, exactly.

Mason:  And you know, here there’s this certain self-deprecating-ness, shame, self-consciousness, whatever that…not necessarily what you need to do when you’re trying to flirt, so maybe that’s my problem.

Kevin:  And I think culturally, flirting can be difficult because some people might take it…they might take offense to it.

Mason:  Well I’ve certainly thought that flirting is basically being totally inappropriate, but someone thinks you’re cute so they let you get away with it.

Kevin:  Exactly.

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Since it’s spring time, Mason has been trying to meet someone to date. But he hasn’t had any luck. He thinks he must be doing something wrong, so he jokes that he should take a class on flirting.

Kevin says he thinks that most people who have a hard time flirting either just don’t know how or don’t try hard enough. Mason says he thinks he might be trying hard enough. He compares himself to more aggressive men that he’s met in Spain and elsewhere on his travels.

Flirting can also be hard, Kevin points out, because you don’t know what someone else will think is inappropriate. Mason says the most true thing you’ve heard about flirting: It’s always inappropriate, but if the person you’re flirting with thinks you’re cute, you get away with it. Maybe Mason knows more about flirting than he lets on.

Are you a good flirt? When’s the last time you met someone you liked? Were you able to get a date with him or her?

Comments

vik32

vik32

India

Donot intend to portray a wrong picture of mine but would say i have been a good flirty. i like meeting new friends and talking to girls i dont think its inappropriate unless you make somebody hurt. 

06:19 AM Oct 05 2014 |

sara1998

sara1998

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

well,when I’m attracted by some one i cannot talk to him.actually i lose my control so i try to do sth and make that guy to ask me for going out together!

08:42 AM Aug 20 2014 |

1 person likes this

Vina Novalina

Indonesia

Yea sometimes not easy be a good flirting, we just need self confidence.
Take, for instance to flirting with a guy, like Helena Rubenstein said “no ugly women , “there are just lazy women” so try to make sure u already give ur best appearance; try to be pretend that u really enchanted with him ; don’t talk too much about yourself and maintain ur mystery’s atmosphere. Gals, wanna Try XD!!!

03:17 PM Dec 10 2011 |

RhySky

RhySky

Indonesia

not so fuckin hard i guess Laughing

09:04 AM Nov 04 2011 |

Secret_love

Viet Nam

I don’t understand. Can you help me?

06:47 AM Feb 24 2011 |

Ledo

Ledo

Russian Federation

I read your comments and i am really surprised!

Flirting is not hard.You just must to be honest with your self.Don't shy and smile. It is so easy! 

05:59 AM Apr 10 2008 |

jigs

jigs

India

alllwayas cooooooooooooooool

02:43 PM Mar 28 2008 |

PeterYao

PeterYao

China

It's very hard for me,but i won't drop it and come on!!!!

04:08 PM Mar 06 2008 |

mohammedrashed

Sudan

i love you and i will marry  you in future

04:13 PM Feb 27 2008 |

mohammedrashed

Sudan

goog ilove you

04:08 PM Feb 27 2008 |

SNIPER

SNIPER

Turkey

hello

12:20 PM Dec 27 2007 |

sarooona

Saudi Arabia

my name is sarah from saudi

I want to make friends

this my emaill:

I wait you

07:02 PM Dec 26 2007 |

1 person likes this

faisee01

Pakistan

no, not another time, now and now darling

12:29 PM Dec 03 2007 |

jr stiward

jr stiward

Peru

i think it`s depends of  you, well in my case some time i am a good flirting, but when i felt bad for something or some problem i can´t do that

05:57 PM Nov 22 2007 |

luckysmillle

Pakistan

hi how are you

05:18 PM Nov 21 2007 |

nadiaaa

nadiaaa

Pakistan

it is very common nowadays.

05:24 AM Nov 20 2007 |

abohmid_love

Palestinian Territory, Occupied

its sooooooooo hary

10:29 PM Jun 26 2007 |

AbhishekSingh

India

I believe in Love or friendship not flirt

02:43 PM Jun 22 2007 |

jens_

jens_

Germany

:-) this isn´t a new lesson – it was posted first time a few weeks before

06:00 AM Jun 22 2007 |

sszhou

sszhou

China

I'm not good at flirting. But I'll try more to improve my flirting ability.

05:17 AM Jun 22 2007 |

Likes (164):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast