Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Notes on a Scandal

Notes on a Scandal

Date: May 30 2007

Themes: Hobbies, Pop Culture

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

A truly good actress makes you love her in any role she plays. So when someone with a lot of talent plays a character who does something wrong or inappropriate, it can make the viewer uncomfortable because the situation on the screen seems so real. Listen to Kevin tell Amanda about how he recently saw a movie starring an actress that he really liked but that made him uncomfortable because it was so good.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Kevin

Kevin

Amanda

Amanda

Kevin:  Last week I saw Notes on a Scandal, do you know anything about it?

Amanda:  Julie Dench?

Kevin:  Judi Dench...

Amanda:  Judi! That’s what I meant.

Kevin:  Who’s an amazing actress. Cate Blanchett. And it’s about a high school teacher who has sexual relations with a student of hers.

Amanda:  Now is it set in present time or is it…

Kevin:  It’s set in present time in London…or maybe it’s not London, but it’s set in Britain. And it’s one of those movies, similar to Lolita, that I felt uncomfortable for the whole hour and a half. It made me physically uncomfotable.

Amanda:  But a good discomfort, correct?

Kevin:  Well not good...I mean because it’s so well made. It feels realistic…because we also know that it’s happened.

Amanda:  So whose perspective is the story told from or is it a voyeuristic look at all the poor behavior going on? So is it told in the eyes of the…

Kevin:  Well the main character is Judi Dench’s character, who’s this older, sort of mother hen teacher at this school and Cate Blanchett is the beautiful, young newcomer at the school. It’s very interesting.

Amanda:  It sounds very interesting.

Kevin:  Well done. You should see it.

Amanda:  Great.

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Kevin asks Amanda if she knows anything about Notes on a Scandal and she briefly misremembers the name of the star, Judi Dench.

Kevin tells Amanda about the movie. It’s set in Britain and it’s about a high school teacher who has sex with one of her students. The film reminds Kevin of Lolita, which tells the story of an older man who becomes romantically involved with a young girl. Both films portray these situations so well that they make Kevin feel uncomfortable. It’s not exactly a good feeling, but he thinks the movie was very well done and recommends that Amanda see it.

When is the last time a movie, or a book or TV show was so good that it made you feel uncomfortable?

Comments

sheryfree2005

Egypt

it's the first time to register i thank you for your effort and i hope you update the subjects

according to the movie it's from the real life but one should be wise in making like this relations

08:12 AM Jun 12 2007 |

princecoffe

China

the second quiz,i have understood ,but failed .

10:17 AM Jun 09 2007 |

duke-nukem

duke-nukem

Germany

I ask me why all admire this lesson. The interviev was bad and not informativly, the quiz unimaginatively. It made me physically uncomfotable. What does kevin mean with this phrase and a quiz with 3 questions is ridiculous. I have wished to get more information about the film and so i turn myself to the creators and ask them to make it better the next time. Thanks

05:10 AM Jun 07 2007 |

bak

Cote D'Ivoire

hello

05:58 PM Jun 05 2007 |

Kadri

Kadri

Estonia

Yes, if I saw the film "Unfaithful" and I felt uncomfortable but not only because of very good players …these situations exist in real life too and it`s sad.

03:01 PM Jun 04 2007 |

Paul_paf

Paul_paf

China

I’ll see the film first then tell you what I think about it!I’m looking forward it can shake my heart

09:19 AM Jun 03 2007 |

met31

China

how to do

01:58 PM Jun 01 2007 |

SallyXu

China

I think it's a realitic film and it brings us to think about life.

06:42 AM Jun 01 2007 |

Belizza

Belizza

Brazil

I didt't see the movie, but now I want see it! 

12:54 AM Jun 01 2007 |

Belizza

Belizza

Brazil

Very good lesson!

12:52 AM Jun 01 2007 |

Brujis67

Peru

I haven't seen it but I will.  Reminds me of an Ocala teacher I saw in the news.

11:19 PM May 31 2007 |

Litason

China

I has seen the film,maybe it is true in  the real life.It drives us  to  think ..... 

01:47 PM May 31 2007 |

ruanlu

ruanlu

China

A good film.

12:16 PM May 30 2007 |

abdeeq

abdeeq

Somalia

Well done.

06:46 AM May 30 2007 |

marv

marv

Philippines

I haven't seen the movie yet but the way Amanda and Kevin discussed the movie made me really curious. Now I want to see it! Haha. I agree that some movies make us feel uncomfortable when it's well made and when we can in some ways relate to the movie. I liked the lesson. I was also reminded of the vocabulary 'voyeurism'. Thanks a lot english baby! =)

04:46 AM May 30 2007 |

Likes (64):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast