Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Vaccinations

Vaccinations

Date: Dec 18 2009

Themes: Health, News

Grammar: Zero Conditional

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

Headaches, sore throats, and stuffy noses are all a regular part of the winter flu season. But this year, fear over swine flu, also known as H1N1, has led thousands of Americans to wait in line for hours in order to be vaccinated against the virus.

The use of vaccines has nearly eliminated certain illnesses, such as smallpox and measles. But some people fear the side effects of vaccines and would rather take their chances with the flu than get a vaccination for it. Find out if Jason and Dale will be lining up to get their flu shots this season.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Dale

Dale

Jason

Jason

Dale:  Do you take any vaccinations at all?

Jason:  I try not to. I haven’t had any for a long time just because I fear the health effects it may have, the side effects.

Dale:  So are you afraid of the H1N1 vaccination?

Jason:  I’m actually…yeah, I’m more afraid of the vaccination than the H1N1 virus, I would say.

Dale:  Really.

Jason:  Yeah. I mean, there’s all kinds of anecdotal evidence about people who get a vaccine and then suddenly they gain 50 pounds permanently or they develop a mental illness of some kind. It seems like these vaccines are a lot of case worse than the disease itself.

Dale:  Isn’t it fair to say that kids should get these vaccinations?

Jason:  There’s whole groups of people who don’t vaccinate their children because people link it to autism and all kinds of problems, so…I don’t know, if I have kids, it’s going to be a tough decision, because in some ways you want to be…you don’t want to take their chances with whatever crazy diseases are out there. But at the same time, you don’t want to risk causing some sort of problem with vaccinations.

Dale:  It’s a tough decision.

Jason:  You’re sort of damned if you do, damned if you don’t.

Dale:  Exactly.

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "Zero Conditional" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Jason doesn’t like to get vaccinations because he is afraid of the side effects. Although many people are lining up to get vaccinated against swine flu this season, Jason would rather take his chances with the virus than get the vaccine. He’s heard some horror stories about people getting sick from the H1N1 vaccine.

Most people have their children vaccinated when they’re babies. But there is growing concern in the U.S. over the possible side effects of these shots. Some people believe that childhood vaccinations can lead to autism. But this hasn’t been proven, and we know that vaccines can save lives.

Did you get a flu vaccine this season? Would you want your child to be vaccinated?

Comments

Marcelolic

Marcelolic

Brazil

Humm No,I have never took any vaccine againist flu…I simply care myself with good food,water,exercises and much rest :)

I know when my immune is low,so I care myself against it…It is difficult to me to get sick,so this year I just got a flu,after almost one half year ;)

11:01 AM Dec 28 2009 |

kukuka

kukuka

Ukraine

I personaly beleive that vaccines are a great achievement of the human race. I got vaccinated against swine flu this fall, and my child was vaccinated as well.

Let's say I took my chances and I don't have any regrets about it.

09:51 AM Dec 24 2009 |

MaXI

MaXI

Saudi Arabia

mmmmm, I think you're right chaps

04:07 AM Dec 24 2009 |

joaco

joaco

Argentina

everything is a big lie, because illnes has become bussines…...

08:20 PM Dec 23 2009 |

Aimi-Ya

Aimi-Ya

Hong Kong

In my city, little problems will be exaggerated, the media lies are even scarier, take care everyone.

05:41 AM Dec 21 2009 |

s id

Saudi Arabia

i`m not agree with taking vaccine.

09:35 PM Dec 20 2009 |

sravanjampani

India

I didn't get any vaccine this year. And I don't usually like taking vaccinations, because I know some better ways not to hold a cold or a flu!

07:21 PM Dec 20 2009 |

Soul07

Soul07

Bahrain

instead of taken this vaccine ,we can avoid this problem by caring our health and checking our bodys two time every year

05:43 PM Dec 20 2009 |

appletree8

appletree8

China

In fact , I take the vaccination of HIN1 in Novermber . and I didn't feel  unwell after the injection, and now everthing goes well . Don't worry about the vaccination.

Howerver ,  vaccination may not always be effective. Now some evidence show the virus havs abbrance, and the vaccination may not as effective as before.

11:01 AM Dec 20 2009 |

ala4fadeel

Sudan

I think H1N1 became a normal diseas unless you have a cronic condition already,

such as diabetes or blood pressure. So anyone who is above 12 and under 55 without a cronic diseas can beat it after getting the expected treatment  .

02:22 AM Dec 20 2009 |

ozkan ozkan

Turkey

On this days human being are face to face with different dangerous illness.All every one have to protect himselve againts those illness as much as posible !

12:52 AM Dec 20 2009 |

Fredo92

Fredo92

Mexico

Did you get a flu vaccine this season? Would you want your child to be vaccinated?

I think that I really don't need the vaccine cause I follow the common take care instructions like wash my hands and don't touch my face with them and if, for causality, I caught it I am sure that I'll survive cause I'm a healthy and strong man. In the other hand the vaccines in my country are just available for just a few people.

07:46 PM Dec 19 2009 |

rebel lee

rebel lee

China

I want to get a flu vaccine for H1N1,but I don't have a opportunity.If I have a child,I'd like him/her be vaccinated.I believe in science and technology will make our lives butter off.Jason doesn’t like to get vaccinations because H1N1 is not bad enough,ha!

12:33 PM Dec 19 2009 |

Likes (28):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast