Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

"Dropping Three Balls" - Jared Dudley of the Phoenix Suns

"Dropping Three Balls" - Jared Dudley of the Phoenix Suns English, baby! Video Lesson

Date: May 07 2010

Themes: Celebrity, Sports

Grammar: Verbs with "-ing"

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

A normal NBA team scores around 90-100 points a night. But the Phoenix Suns can score 120, 130—they even scored 152 points in one game this season!

One of the ways the Suns get so many points is by making a lot of three-pointers, and no one is better at them than Jared Dudley. In basketball, you normally get two points for a basket, but if you shoot it from far enough away, you get three points. You get the extra point because it’s hard to make a shot from that far.

This season, out of all the players in the NBA who made more than 100 three-pointers, Jared Dudley had the best percentage. Watch him talk about his “three ball” and the NBA Playoffs.

3. Watch - Watch the video without reading the dialog.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Jason

Jason

Jared

Jared

Jason:  Welcome to English, baby! I’m Jason here with Jared Dudley of the Phoenix Suns. How are you doing?

Jared:  Doing great. How are you all doing out there?

Jason:  Good! So, you’re getting ready for a big playoff game tomorrow, right?

Jared:  Big playoff game here in Portland, hanging out, Grand Central, watching the game, you know it’s all about playoffs right now.

Jason:  We’re here to teach an English lesson and you’re actually the best three point shooter in the league, so we’re wondering if you could tell us some three point slang?

Jared:  Well, I’m not the best, I think I’m up therewith the three point percentage. A lot of different slang, lot of different terminology when it comes to hitting the three ball a lot of different ways. What do you guys need help with?

Jason:  I think earlier you said your favorite was “dropping three balls.” Was that how you put it?

Jared:  Yeah, “dropping three balls,” that’s what I like to do always, turn to the sign when I hit my threes. Maybe you’ll see one tomorrow night versus Portland.

Jason:  So how would you use that in a sentence if you’re learning English and you make a three pointer, what would you say?

Jared:  “Right about now I’m a drop some three balls on this team.” There you go.

Jason:  So when did you learn that three point shooting was going to be such a big part of your game?

Jared:  When I got traded to Phoenix and I saw their whole system, their whole offense and Steve Nash. If you’re a wing player and you can’t shoot it’s going to be hard for you to play, so that’s one thing I worked on this off-season.

Jason:  So when you were growing up and learning the game you didn’t know that three point shooting was your specialty until later on?

Jared:  No, definitely not. Early on I was rebounding. I was taller than everybody, bigger than everybody, so it was easier. The higher you get in the levels from high school to college, NBA, you have to develop your game. And in the NBA, if you’re not athletic or can’t shoot it’s hard for you to play.

Jason:  Well, thanks so much, Jared! Can I get you to give me a high five and say “English, baby!”

Jared:  High five, “English, baby!” Follow me on Twitter, @jareddudley619.

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "Verbs with "-ing"" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

A player’s three ball[/def] is his or her ability to shoot long, three-point shots. When you start dropping three balls[/def], it means you are successfully making three pointers. For the Phoenix Suns, players like Jared Dudley frequently dropping three balls results in very high scores.
Like his teammate Channing Frye, when Jared Dudley joined the Phoenix Suns he started to focus on his three ball, or his ability to shoot three-pointers. Even though that wasn’t his focus before, he knew he would have to adjust to playing on his new team with players like Steve Nash.

How’s your three ball? Can you make a three-pointer? Have you ever had to adjust what you do and learn a new skill?

See a photo of Devan from the Ebaby! cast with Jared here. Find more English lessons with Jared and his teammates here.

Comments

mtgk70

mtgk70

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

i am boxing. i am boxer amator.

02:53 AM Aug 09 2013 |

mtgk70

mtgk70

this video is quickly!!!!!

02:52 AM Aug 09 2013 |

mtgk70

mtgk70

i like my basketball  internatinal team . that is winer in the asia

02:50 AM Aug 09 2013 |

someone2222

Egypt

It is my 1st time to follow Englishbaby TV , it is amazing and easy way to learn English , It really helps thank you .

04:50 PM Aug 15 2010 |

Diem Uyen

Diem Uyen

Viet Nam

I just understand a little but I'm very glad to find this website.

02:33 PM Jun 22 2010 |

kmg

kmg

China

I love NBA.

Steve Nash is a great point guard.

10:44 AM Jun 17 2010 |

Awil Ba

Somalia

well iam not a fan of basket ball but i like to try it some times nd about dat Dropping three balls forget it  i may  score one time in da whole game heheheh am really bad at it

12:14 PM Jun 13 2010 |

Marcelolic

Marcelolic

Brazil

I like basketball more than brazilian soccer hehe When I was teen I killed a lot of class to play basketball,pretty cool this time and I was a good three pointer hehe

09:18 PM Jun 08 2010 |

mostafasadek

Egypt

hahahahah  try to add me plzzzz

05:19 AM May 14 2010 |

ainraiwak

Poland

English Babe! has more and more lessons about basketball. Great, but is it possible to make more videos or another materials about something else sport? 

Nice lesson, thanks…

06:10 PM May 13 2010 |

Dennyokha

Russian Federation

Thanks Jared&Jason for the marvelous lesson and some basketball words, but indeed I'm a ice-hockey fan.

02:20 PM May 13 2010 |

kelly_abd

kelly_abd

China

it's just like everything is easy to get…....but no…....it's big diffculties behind your honour  and maybe for a long time.so the lesson tells me i have to work hard!!!!

12:37 PM May 10 2010 |

mary888

mary888

Jordan

what did he mean we he said  High five, “English, baby!” ??????

06:10 PM May 09 2010 |

supi

supi

Azerbaijan

it is very good sport

02:14 PM May 09 2010 |

rbsilvapb

rbsilvapb

Brazil

I am bad in all sports. But, I think that everytime we are adjusting somethings in our lives. In the jobs, relationships, school…

01:15 PM May 09 2010 |

akosta_barbosa

Germany

Jared was a little bit nervious in this interview ;)

09:50 PM May 08 2010 |

maria_b

maria_bSuper Member!

Brazil

dudley is studly hahaha

04:38 AM May 08 2010 |

rosendo

rosendo

Mexico

have a nice weekend !!

dont do bad things .

10:48 PM May 07 2010 |

mionfabian

mionfabian

Brazil

No, I can't drop tree balls at all. Like a good brazilian I am good with soccer….

But I am good at basketball too… but no so good with tree pointer.

And sometime I had to improve my drawing skills to get one work. :)

05:39 PM May 07 2010 |

hapkido_ksa

Saudi Arabia

dont you guys try to invite me?

12:30 PM May 07 2010 |

Likes (13):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter