Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Macy Gray

Macy Gray

Date: Oct 04 2010

Themes: Music

Grammar: Simple Past Tense

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

When a singer sells out, she sacrifices her art for the sake of money and fame. So The Sellout might seem like a weird name to give an album. But that’s exactly what Macy Gray has decided to call her latest release.

Macy Gray’s songs don’t sound like they were written by someone who sold out. Her raspy voice and classic soul sound make her music unique. But some critics think her music is overproduced. Hear what Dale and Beren think.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Dale

Dale

Beren

Beren

Dale:  Macy Gray. Are you very familiar with her?

Beren:  I know her big hit song, “I Try.” But that was like 10 years ago, it came out.

Dale:  Yeah, I think the way that she took over, I think it was around the 1999, 2000 time, she was very popular because she became mainstream with the type of sound and music with her raspy voice, very jazzy, very soulful. They didn’t have anything like that back then. Now she’s coming out with something new?

Beren:  I guess, yeah, she has a new album, or it’s been out. She won another Grammy for her new album The Sellout, which is interesting that it’s called The Sellout. I had no idea she was so underground and not mainstream, because to me selling out is like, you know, giving in to…

Dale:  The mainstream.

Beren:  The mainstream, yeah. Or…

Dale:  If you’re that popular and that good, eventually you’re gonna lean in that direction, and that changes your career. So I’m assuming, you know, she probably just got overproduced, and everybody now knows who she is, and I guess that title of her album makes sense to her.

Beren:  Maybe it’s a little inside joke.

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "Simple Past Tense" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

In the past, people have accused Macy Gray of selling out, or making music that wasn’t true to her artistic sensibility because she wanted to appeal to the mainstream. But her new album is supposed to be a return to her classic soul roots. So Beren thinks the title of her album, The Sellout, is a joke.

Dale thinks it’s not surprising that Macy Gray became popular with the mainstream. When someone has a lot of talent, it makes sense that a lot of people buy her albums and want to listen to her music. But some people have said that Macy Gray’s album is overproduced. She may be talented, but she hasn’t found the right way to use her talents.

Do you think it’s wrong for an artist to sell out? Do you prefer mainstream or underground music?

Comments

Marcelolic

Marcelolic

Brazil

Humm it depends…I guess if the singer isn't much known this is a jump to the fame and money But this singer can't forget their roots or let the success go to their head!

I prefer both styles of musics I think cool :)

10:30 PM Oct 30 2010 |

Gala87ukr

Ukraine

Hello!

07:26 AM Oct 12 2010 |

Dealv

Dealv

Poland

I actually don't care if its mainstream or underground music as long as it's good for me, it please me, relax or whatever. I think that fact that particular song or even artist is constantly on the air doesn't make him or his music worse. If music is good it should be available for everyone. On the other hand there is a lot of popular  crappy 'artists' like Gaga who are making trash bin out of mainstream… 

09:30 AM Oct 09 2010 |

rosendo

rosendo

Mexico

she sings cool !!!

11:04 PM Oct 06 2010 |

Romio79

Romio79

Russian Federation

I don't like pop or sell-out music. 

07:50 PM Oct 06 2010 |

renemex

renemex

Mexico

Underground? mainstream? it depends of the context, it´s like if you must to eat… special day? cook or go to a nice place… common day? go to Mcdonald´s or Taco Bell

10:21 PM Oct 05 2010 |

Snazz De

Snazz De

United Kingdom

I think some underground artists has got real talent.

07:48 PM Oct 05 2010 |

Gaby313

Gaby313

United Kingdom

Personally I prefer underground music, I listen to lots of mainstream tunes though. But I think that when an artist or a song get overrated and it's like everyone likes/listen to that song/artist, it loses its essence and somehow becomes boring, no matter how much you liked it in the past. Sometimes the best songs/artists are the ones people don't pay attention to, and you have to learn how to find them. Sorry if I get out of the topic so much but I just wanted to point that out lol

05:13 AM Oct 05 2010 |

MuratYALLIKURT

Turkey

There is a lot words of I don't know. Before I must learn thats and I didn't understand anythings listening :)

I think full my mind today. I will try again tomorrow .. 

08:27 PM Oct 04 2010 |

lolekesh

lolekesh

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

................................!

07:14 PM Oct 04 2010 |

renemex

renemex

Mexico

It depends on the mood, I mean, sometimes people wants to hear something special, but when you are on party, the mainstream it´s the right stuff

06:13 PM Oct 04 2010 |

hraza

hraza

Pakistan

She was mainstream in past with her jazzy and soulful songs.For a long time she was underground and not the mainstream.Now is coming back to her profession with new style…..   :P

02:47 PM Oct 04 2010 |

magbol

magbol

Saudi Arabia

I DONT KNOW

07:03 AM Oct 04 2010 |

kiojohn

kiojohn

China

dont know anything about her yet… except for MG s a singer…

02:04 AM Oct 04 2010 |

Likes (7):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast