Eat Pray Love

简体
Eat Pray Love
《美食、祈祷和恋爱》

Date: Oct 06 2010

Themes: Travel

Grammar: Modal Verbs

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

Most people have probably fantasized about leaving everything and running off to a foreign country. But few actually do it. Eat Pray Love is the true story of one woman who realized how unhappy she was in her current life and decided to divorce her husband, leave her home, and spend a year traveling the world in pursuit of joy and fulfillment. She traveled to Italy, India, and Indonesia, all in the hopes of finding…well, herself. Find out if Devan and Marni ate up Eat Pray Love.

大部分人可能都幻想过放下手中的一切,跑到异国他乡去生活,但是很少有人真的这样做。《美食、祈祷和恋爱》讲述了一个女人的真实故事:她意识到自己当前的生活并不幸福,于是她决心离婚,离开自己的家,用一年时间到世界各地旅行,追求快乐和满足。她去了意大利、印度和印度尼西亚旅行,希望能找回她自己。让我们来看看德凡(Devan)和玛尼(Marni)是如何看待《美食、祈祷和恋爱》这部电影的。

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Marni

Marni

Devan

Devan

Marni:  So Devan, I recently went and saw what you might consider a super chick flick, Eat Pray Love. Have you seen it?

Devan:  I haven’t seen it. Did you read the book before you went and saw it?

Marni:  I did indeed, I read the book, and I really liked the book. It spoke to me in, you know, certain ways. So I had a lot of expectations, and I was a little unclear about the casting of Julia Roberts ‘cause she’s just so different from the woman who wrote the book. But I have to say, it was decent. It wasn’t amazing, but they did a good job.

Devan:  So, the reason I’ve been kind of turned off about wanting to see the film or read the book is because I get the impression it’s about an independently wealthy woman who goes through a divorce and then travels the world, and I feel like I couldn’t really connect to that idea of being rich and traveling, like, how is that supposed to…you know, how am I supposed to connect to that on an emotional level?

Marni:  Yeah, that’s perfectly valid, and I…You know, she was a writer and obviously made her living as a writer. And ironically, the book actually helped her become so wealthy and successful. But it was a quest for her to find herself, find her identity. And she wrote this memoir about her year of travel. And I think, you know, people connect to certain parts and people might be put off by certain parts of the text. And I certainly think your argument is valid. It’s like, so you got to travel for a year, how sorry am I supposed to feel for you?

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "Modal Verbs" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

The book Eat. Pray. Love. was a huge success and now a movie has been made from it starring Julia Roberts. Marni enjoyed the book, but was worried that the movie would disappoint. However, she was pleasantly surprised by how much she liked the film, even if it was a chick flick.

In the movie, a woman who is unhappy with her life decides to spend a year traveling in order to try to find herself. Devan thinks this is a hard story to relate to, since most people can’t just run off to a foreign country whenever they’re feeling dissatisfied with their life. Marni agrees that it isn’t easy to feel sorry for someone who has enough money to spend a year traveling the world.

If you could spend one year traveling, where would you want to go?

Comments

kenny00

Taiwan

welcome to china, shanghai,suzhou wuxi~

09:10 AM Feb 09 2015 |

ola33

ola33

Japan

I want to visit Japan, China, England, Brazil,Nova Scotia and The Grand Canyon.

05:33 AM Feb 09 2015 |

S&W

S&W

China

If i cloud spend one year to travel,i would go to europe.UK,Franch,Germeny,Italy.

04:51 AM Feb 09 2015 |

eslvu

Viet Nam

I can’t stop myself watching the movies these days because it reminds me to my friend who was divorced and loved travel, not to mention to her additiction to meditation. I was considering that the book is a copy of my friend’s life or she is following the journey from the book in a hope of finding herself like the woman in the book did…

10:14 AM Apr 18 2012 |

m.ania

m.ania

Poland

If I could spend one year traveling ,I would go to Italy.

08:42 PM Sep 08 2011 |

neunnt

Viet Nam

i like manchester united team. I hope in the future, i'm able to travel around mu team

07:12 AM Mar 28 2011 |

zefren31

zefren31

Turkey

life is life…

06:22 PM Feb 23 2011 |

bienemaja

bienemaja

Andorra

I would go to places that are very far from me, like Asia and America.

I have a special attraction to Asia where ancient history is next to ultra modernity.

And maybe BUDDISM can help you finding yourself …

04:36 PM Feb 22 2011 |

Andie7

Andie7

Colombia

I'd like to travel around Europe!!!

05:36 PM Dec 11 2010 |

Marcelolic

Marcelolic

Brazil

Ohhh this is a good question….Course I'd like to spend a year traveling around Europe certainly :)

11:31 PM Oct 30 2010 |

chicanlas

Philippines

I’m dying to go to Rome! I’ve learned a lot on how to speak italian language from this book. I hope i could finish reading the book after watching it on the movie theater or after taking the nursing licensure exam. That would be much better. Elizabeth G. is such a marvelous author!^^

05:23 PM Oct 13 2010 |

chicanlas

Philippines

I’m dying to go to Rome! I’ve learned a lot on how to speak italian language from this book. I hope i could finish reading the book after watching it on the movie theater or after taking the nursing licensure exam. That would be much better. Elizabeth G. is such a marvelous author!^^

05:23 PM Oct 13 2010 |

chicanlas

Philippines

05:18 PM Oct 13 2010 |

chicanlas

Philippines

I have ‘EAT, PRAY, LOVE’ book. I’m about to finish it. It’s really magnificent! I love it!^^

05:01 PM Oct 13 2010 |

mjlouise

mjlouise

Philippines

I would definitely go to Hawaii…Im really amazed everytime I see a picture of some wonderful sceneries of this place. It sure looks like a paradise to me..

01:57 PM Oct 12 2010 |

mendinh

Viet Nam

I alway want to go to Switzerland. That 's a very nice country. If I could I will go to there.

03:59 AM Oct 12 2010 |

kukuka

kukuka

Ukraine

I'd love to visit…I don't know, maybe the Southern Spain or Morocco or Middle east… there are so many countries which I think are really worth visiting and not only when you feel disappointed with life…I am sure people can do much more then they are used to think by the way. And money isn't actually the reason that prevents us from travelling, may be laziness but not money.

01:28 PM Oct 11 2010 |

alhgag

alhgag

Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

i’d like to go USA especially alaska is vey amazing .one day i’ll go to it .

08:13 AM Oct 11 2010 |

An-china

An-china

Germany

i just chatted with my friend with travel yesterday.-

i like travel so much.- once i have time and money, i will do that ,absolutly.and, before that, i should make different friends—from different countries:) 

12:49 PM Oct 10 2010 |

Giorgia92

Giorgia92

Italy

Hello!The next year when I will finished the high school….I'd like to go from italy 2 weeks in california to my friend's home and then 2 months in Germany(Berlin and an other town) because i can speak german and then in London to work and to study english for 3 or 6 months.

Travels are my life.

07:24 PM Oct 09 2010 |

Likes (40):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog: