Naps

简体
Naps
小睡

Date: Oct 08 2010

Themes: Work

Grammar: Zero Conditional

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

Basketball superstar LeBron James recently said that he takes a nap every day. And if he does it, shouldn’t everybody?

In some cultures, it’s common to lie down and rest or even sleep in the middle of the day. But in the U.S., not many people take naps during the work week, except for children. A quick nap can be a good way to refresh oneself after a late night. But people who nap all the time are usually seen as lazy. Find out if Amy and Devan like to catch some zzz’s in the middle of the day.

篮球超级明星勒布朗·詹姆斯最近说他每天都会小睡一会。如果篮球超级明星都这么做,难道不该人人如此吗?
在一些文化习俗中,白天躺下休息或睡觉是很常见的。但是在美国,除了孩子们外,很少有人会在工作日中小睡。事实上,适当的小睡一会是熬夜过后恢复自己体力的好方法。但是,人们通常认为有小睡习惯的人是懒惰的。让我们来看看艾米(Amy)和德凡(Devan)是否喜欢在白天小睡一会呢?

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Amy

Amy

Devan

Devan

Amy:  I wish that I were a person who could take naps. It seems like such a nice thing to do and such a good way to refresh yourself if you’re, you know…if you didn’t sleep well or if you’re having a hard day.

Devan:  So why don’t you take naps?

Amy:  I just can’t do it. I just can’t go to sleep in the daytime. I don’t know. I try, and I just end up lying there, you know, for hours, potentially, just staring at the ceiling. Do you take naps?

Devan:  Sometimes I’ll take like a power nap, like right after I get off work I’ll take a quick 20 minute nap. But I can’t take a nap longer than that, because if I fall asleep for hours in the middle of the day, then when I wake up I feel really awful. Like I just need a really quick power nap to get me re-energized, but if I sleep too long then I’m gonna want to sleep all night and then I’ll wake up again at three o’clock in the morning. But you know, in a lot of cultures it’s very common to have like a siesta or a nap in the middle of the day, and I wonder why in the United States that hasn’t really become a common practice.

Amy:  Sometimes I’ll just take it easy in the middle of the day, if I’m feeling tired and I need to have a little break, just watch TV for a half an hour or do something mindless to relax. But I just…I kind of feel the same way you do, like if I really lay down and tried to take a nap in the middle of the day, it would be really hard to get up and go back to work. I don’t know how people do it.

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "Zero Conditional" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Amy doesn’t take naps, because she finds it difficult to fall asleep in the middle of the day. But sometimes she wishes she could take naps, because it seems like a good way to refresh oneself in the middle of the day.

Devan sometimes likes to take short naps after work, but she doesn’t like to sleep for a long time when she takes a nap. If she takes a long nap, she has a hard time getting up and doing anything productive afterward.

Is it common to take a nap in the afternoon in your country? Do you enjoy taking naps?

Comments

hazenalali

North Korea

Naps are always important and necessary for the living things and humans to maintain their healthy and to remain active all the day. You may also visit the website https://australianwritings.net/ if you want to know about the naps more.

06:51 AM May 15 2018 |

MAHSA1995

MAHSA1995

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

oh,it is so funny,i love taking nap!it is better than sleeping!and it makes me feel much more relax!

11:48 AM Jul 12 2013 |

1 person likes this

DarknessLight

Germany

As far as I know, people here don’t take naps, because they’re either at work, college or school. Even at the weekends they don’t, I just don’t know why, I don’t take naps myself, no matter how tired I was I just can’t sleep, probably because I’m not used to it.

04:45 PM Nov 26 2012 |

yasir shah

yasir shah

Pakistan

some times i takes nap not ruTeiNlY

07:51 PM Apr 06 2012 |

Irene Forever

Ukraine

It’s my pleasure too, Anja.:) Thank you.

It’s a positive delight to communicate with you.:)

02:09 PM Apr 06 2012 |

Irene Forever

Ukraine

Buttafly ( May I call you by name, Anja?), I stopped sleeping in the afternoon in my childhood when children were supposed to do it, and  since than I have been  a naughty kid.:)))

11:35 AM Apr 06 2012 |

1 person likes this

Irene Forever

Ukraine

Buttafly, I’d gladly take a nap, but, believe me, it seems to be impossible , as my working day doesn’t allow me to relax for a while.:(

I know, some nap’s very useful for women and they look re-freshed. A short time ago, I forced myself to go to bed not later than at 1 A.M. It was a success for me. Now I feel better, thank God.:)

11:22 AM Apr 06 2012 |

1 person likes this

julito

julito

Argentina

Anja, I can relate to Irene, I  only like a quick rest , no napping.Smile

11:21 AM Apr 06 2012 |

julito

julito

Argentina

In the northern provinces of my country  don´t expect to see people   walking on the street or working  after noon, they are all  inside their houses napping or whatever, the reason is  the extreme hot  of summer  makes it impossible  moving around during most of the afternoon.   They are great nappers.Wink

11:18 AM Apr 06 2012 |

julito

julito

Argentina

for some unknown reason , napping or  ”siesta”  doesn´t  do the trick  of refreshing my mind and body, on the contrary, usually , I am in a little bit grumpy  for a while.Yell

10:57 AM Apr 06 2012 |

Irene Forever

Ukraine

I look on people  who’re able to take a nap in the afternoon with admiring envy.:)

If I even feel badly tired, I can’t fall asleep in the day time.

As it’s known, a woman who sleeps enough looks better than  the one who doesn’t get enough sleep. So I’d prefer napping to be nonstop all day long.

To tell the truth, I hate sleeping because  I think it the waste of time. I’am an owl and love night life.:)

I’m addicted to coffee and it’s bad, but I don’t drink much of it. I can’t say that coffee makes me peppy. I just love this drink.:)

10:47 AM Apr 06 2012 |

anas.alrez

anas.alrez

Syrian Arab Republic

It’s really a common habit in my country Syria , most of the persons had a nap for 1 onr or tow hours afternoon, but I can’t do that cos my work shift is from 8:30 a.m till 5:30 p.m and I should be awake and productive most of the time. :)

01:23 PM Sep 22 2011 |

Helena2112

Russian Federation

I take naps with my children , it was not often. In my country it is not common.

10:48 PM Sep 19 2011 |

neunnt

Viet Nam

yeah, in the afternoon , you need to take a nap shortime to help yourself reenergied and reduce stressful

08:36 AM May 10 2011 |

Marcelolic

Marcelolic

Brazil

Oh yeah really…I really like to take naps in the midlle of the day hehe After lunch mainly :P At least one hour to refresh myself and facing my work night hour after that because I wake up every day very early…

11:48 PM Oct 30 2010 |

Dess

Dess

Russian Federation

Frankly I used to take a nap in the middle od a day before, aspacialy when I have enough time after dinner to do that, but eventually I got it – that is not for me, I noticed I was as tired as floppy sock after nap, and the next half working day I felt like a boiled rag doll, so that I quited napping during the daytime.  

03:11 AM Oct 26 2010 |

andee1

andee1

China

yes i do. i will take a nap in afternoon on monday or i feel very exhausted.

01:07 PM Oct 19 2010 |

Lhea

Philippines

taking a nap in the middle of the day get me energize! Laughing

11:42 AM Oct 16 2010 |

jean___michel

Brazil

I like to take a nap during my lunch time, its very good to me, when I do it, I feel that I am ready to face the rest of the day and go to faculty at night… I have just 5 hours to sleep at night, so… take a nap, to me, it's a good way to get a rest and re-energize my body n mind.

11:25 PM Oct 14 2010 |

1 person likes this

zoebaby

zoebaby

China

i wish i were a person who could take siesta in the middle of day,i'm definitly a ligh sleeper,and it ends up i'm alway with a padan eyes..a power nap doesn't work for me,i need to fall asleep.

12:42 AM Oct 14 2010 |

Likes (34):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast