Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

7 Acts to Enrich Your Vocabulary

Date: Jul 10 2007

Topic:

Author: iman4faith

Lesson

How to Enrich Your English Language Vocabulary

Love; read; play; use; learn “roots; prefixes and suffixes”; find a freind and listen.Those are 7 Acts that could help you to Enrich Your Vocabulary

1.       Love words. You have to really want to learn new vocabulary if you're going to succeed

2.      Read. Read all genres of books. When you come across a word you don't know, read the sentences around the word and try to figure out what it means from the context. Check your guess with a dictionary. This doesn't mean you should start reading medical textbooks or other books with lots of new words on every page. Set aside time each day to sit down with your book. Enjoy yourself!  

3.      Play word games with friends. Try Boggle, Scrabble, or Catch-Phrase. There are so many great games out there to teach you new words. If a friend comes up with a word that you don't know, ask them what it means.

4.      Use the words you learn when you're talking to people or writing letters or e-mail. Using your new vocabulary is not only fun, but a great way to remember all these new words. Try to use at least three new words a day when communicating with anyone.

5.      Learn roots, prefixes, and suffixes. Many words in the English language come from Latin or Greek words. When you combine these Latin or Greek words, you get new words in English. For example: astro ("astron" meaning "star") + logy (logos meaning "speech") = astrology (meaning "telling of the stars"). Buy an etymological dictionary (meaning "a dictionary of word origins").

6.      Find a friend who speaks English. It's good to practice using your new words. With a web connection, your conversation partner does not need to live near you. You can email, chat, and even phone each other using your computers. A friend who understands that you are learning can help you practice, use new words in your conversations, and offer advice. Since talking to a friend is fun, it won't feel like work! If your friend wants to learn your language, too, it will be easier for both of you to understand each other's mistakes.

7.      Listen to the radio, watch television, or find a podcast that you like in English, and practice hearing the language, too.

Comments

MAYAMY

MAYAMY

Saudi Arabia

It's really a useful lesson
I enjoyed it
Thank you very much

01:55 AM Nov 21 2010 |

so what..!!

Saudi Arabia

great’s  thanks alot

12:57 PM Aug 11 2010 |

sunxuekun

sunxuekun

China

It's very corret!

08:43 AM Sep 26 2008 |

ali ejaz

ali ejaz

Pakistan

tanks cute teacher…its really nice for learning….

11:06 AM Apr 08 2008 |

Jajani

Jajani

Sri Lanka

An extremely nice post.

11:46 AM Mar 16 2008 |

Jajani

Jajani

Sri Lanka

Smile Very informative and practicable . Please give us

some more . THANK YOU.Laughing

11:34 AM Mar 16 2008 |

ali1shafqat@hotmail.com

Pakistan

Dear Iman, thank you for your kind guidence. but I want some learning movies. please suggest the names and if possible send me through net on my e-mail address. a gain thanks.

05:31 AM Jan 10 2008 |

Maariya

Maariya

Pakistan

Hi Iman,

Excelent, You have done great job. I'll try to use your tips. tc

08:38 AM Jan 01 2008 |

Maariya

Maariya

Pakistan

Excelent

08:35 AM Jan 01 2008 |

ali1shafqat@hotmail.com

Pakistan

Thank you for your favour, I try my best to follow your instructions. I want some online videos to improve my spoken english. please suggest.

08:13 AM Jan 01 2008 |

hoda61

hoda61

Morocco

NICE LESSON

08:14 PM Dec 26 2007 |

spoken

Germany

i will follow you advices and will try to improve my vocublary. I wnated some online vedios to improve my spoken english. Plz suggest….......

02:28 PM Dec 23 2007 |

by_romantiks

Turkey

I develop to english help me_ :)

06:31 PM Dec 19 2007 |

ali1shafqat@hotmail.com

Pakistan

Hi aman,

Your tips, lessions and realy appreciatable. but broblem is that how i can find a friend like iman, is it possible. if i m successful, then its my life's best achievement, and hope i will do it.  ali

08:10 AM Dec 17 2007 |

sweetdream!!!

Saudi Arabia

thanks …..

very good lesson

11:56 PM Dec 15 2007 |

hele

hele

India

thnx

03:46 AM Dec 15 2007 |

hele

hele

India

all ur tips are well.can u help me more

03:45 AM Dec 15 2007 |

satsoooot

satsoooot

Syrian Arab Republic

thanx alout,but could u please give me a link or any refrance to bring this kind of book u talked about it

10:17 PM Dec 14 2007 |

Monsef

Jordan

These are good advices.

10:41 AM Dec 05 2007 |

Likes (27):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter