Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Tangled

Tangled

Date: Feb 09 2011

Grammar: Past Progressive Tense

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

Disney pretty much has a monopoly on all things that children find delightful. That’s at least the case in the U.S., where almost any child you meet can tell you her favorite Disney movie, unless she has too many favorites to pick just one.

But a lot has changed since the days of Snow White, the first full-length animated movie that Disney released. These days, it’s all about computer animation and dazzling 3D effects. But Disney is doing everything it can to stay on top, including spending $260 million on the new movie Tangled. That’s more money than has ever been spent on an animated film! Find out if Amy and Devan think Tangled is worth the price of admission.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Amy

Amy

Devan

Devan

Amy:  What do you think the second most expensive movie ever made is, Devan?

Devan:  Probably Titanic or Avatar.

Amy:  It’s neither of those. It’s Tangled, this new Disney movie.

Devan:  Really?

Amy:  Yeah. It’s an animated movie, which I guess sort of makes sense. I guess all of the 3D animation, I guess that stuff is pretty expensive. But…

Devan:  So is it really visually stunning?

Amy:  I think yeah, it is. It’s, you know, it’s got a really sort of beautiful, magical look. It’s a fairytale. And I guess they actually did sort of a combination of computer animation and then also traditional animation, because they wanted it to really look like a traditional Disney movie, you know, like the ones we all grew up with that were the more traditional, just drawn animation.

Devan:  It seems like a price tag like that’s really going to break the bank. So hopefully it’ll be successful, or else they’re gonna be in trouble financially.

Amy:  Yeah. Well Disney has a pretty good…they have a pretty successful formula, you know, that they use, just in terms of these fairy tales that are sort of funny and charming and romantic. I mean, it seems like everybody has a favorite Disney movie that they can remember.

Devan:  What’s your favorite?

Amy:  The Little Mermaid. Definitely.

Devan:  Little Mermaid?

Amy:  Yeah.

Devan:  Did you want to be Ariel when you were growing up?

Amy:  Yeah, I sort of thought that I was in my imagination. I knew all the songs.

Devan:  I think I liked Sleeping Beauty the best.

Amy:  Yeah.

Devan:  That one was always a little bit spooky.

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "Past Progressive Tense" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Amy tells Devan that Tangled is the second most expensive movie ever made. She thinks it cost so much money because of the all the high-tech computer animation it used. The filmmakers put in a lot of effort to produce a beautiful movie.

Devan wonders if Tangled will turn out to be worth all the money Disney spent to make it. But Amy thinks that Disney knows what it’s doing. It has a good history of making movies that kids love. Both Amy and Devan remember their favorite Disney movies from when they were kids. Devan loved Sleeping Beauty, and Amy was obsessed with The Little Mermaid.

What’s your favorite Disney movie? Do you think Tangled was worth its price tag?

Comments

IsmaelOpete

Gabon

Некогда воспользовавшись интернетсервисами доски объявлений, вы сомнительно ли вернетесь к традиционным расклейкам в общественных местах иначе скромным газетным заметкам. Ради новичков приведем три основных плюса интернетобъявлений.
[url]https://racoonda.ru/[/url]

06:59 PM Mar 08 2018 |

princessanika

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

i love this cartoon.i really love her hair and her story,i think it’s very very nice and beautiful cartoonLaughing

10:28 AM Oct 25 2012 |

La Princesse de la vie

Egypt

I liked Tangled pretty much, I think it was worth its price tag…

I almost like all Disney movies I’ve watched since I was a kid… I like animation movies in general..

07:39 AM Aug 31 2012 |

flylover

flylover

Georgia

I love that story so much!I really enjoed with it despite of my age ;):)

08:28 PM Jun 08 2011 |

♫Anna♥

♫Anna♥

Russian Federation

I like Disney movies  my favourite is Alice in Wonderland… but I like russian cartoons more…

I've not seen Tangled yet and I think I will not watch it…  

09:12 PM Apr 02 2011 |

truongkimthuong88

Viet Nam

I loved it. It modernizes the fairytale. I was about crying when they said about their dreams.

09:36 AM Feb 14 2011 |

Honey-pig

Honey-pig

China

I have to say it's only a enjoyable movie but not that outstanding in millions of Disney's masterpieces, so i think it's not worth the price tag. Nothing new nothing special, just a beautiful fairy tale.

04:50 AM Feb 12 2011 |

Yvonne Cai

Yvonne Cai

China

beautiful voice

03:18 AM Feb 12 2011 |

dearling

dearling

China

I never Really watched a Disney movie untill last month. Lol. I watched the Little mermaid & Aladdin & I am going to watch more.

I am about to watch Cinderella,  it is much older and I guess it is more innocent, and the new movies might be having more crazy things. Lol.

Disney movies are good.

01:13 PM Feb 11 2011 |

spacedragon

Brazil

they made a good work…........

11:20 PM Feb 09 2011 |

luu.-21

luu.-21

Argentina

my favourite disney movie are sleeping beauty and the king lion. I love all disney movies but the king lion used to make me cry a lot. I haven't watched tangled, but I believe that money is not the most important thing, because if the story is not good enough kids won't like the movie although they spend a lot of money on making it. 

06:11 PM Feb 09 2011 |

Romio79

Romio79

Russian Federation

I prefer Shrek, which is not Disney but anti-disney movie:)

04:06 PM Feb 09 2011 |

lerasunshine

Russian Federation

it's really one of the best Disney movie i have ever seen in my life…Even though I am not a child, for I'm 20 years old, i felt myself like a young girl when i whatched this fairy tail at the sinema….i even cried three times

03:07 PM Feb 09 2011 |

andee1

andee1

China

i don't know its chinese name, so i haven't known if it was shown in mainland of china.

01:55 PM Feb 09 2011 |

andee1

andee1

China

um i think mikey mouse and Donald duck and cat and mouse were my favorite cartoons. as for tangled i haven't seen it.

01:45 PM Feb 09 2011 |

arisp

arisp

Indonesia

great movie..

01:14 PM Feb 09 2011 |

murad ali

murad ali

Yemen

i like the 3d movie —

12:40 PM Feb 09 2011 |

fr0oggy

fr0oggy

Bulgaria

i loved it!!! it was so funny, the funniest part was when the girl hits the guy with pan!!! 

12:10 PM Feb 09 2011 |

Serendipity

Hong Kong

i saw this movie last night, it was a great movie, i really enjoyed it~it's definitely worth seeing

10:27 AM Feb 09 2011 |

Likes (25):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast