Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Fans
Fans

First Conditional

Date: May 27 2011

Themes: Sports

Grammar: First Conditional

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

Being a fan is an emotional roller coaster. When your team wins, it’s a big rush. But when they lose, it can cause feelings of grief, anger, and disappointment. Sure, it’s easier to watch professional sports than actually play them. But for the biggest fans, each loss feels personal.

In basketball, the fans are called the sixth man, because they are so important to the team they are almost like another player. At games, they try to help their team win by cheering them on and booing the opponent. Teams tend to win more when they play at home than when they play away games, and some say it’s all because of the fans. Hear Marni and Jason talk about the ups and downs of being a fan.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Jason

Jason

Marni

Marni

Jason:  So I saw you wearing a Cubs hat.

Marni:  Well, you know. I’m a fan.

Jason:  It’s hard to be a fan of some teams, and the Cubs are one of those teams.

Marni:  I know, but you know, loyalty is the essence of being a good fan.

Jason:  Right.

Marni:  Your team isn’t always gonna win.

Jason:  It’s never gonna win, if it’s the Cubs.

Marni:  Oh, ouch! That hurts. Well, you know, hey, you can say what you will but I’m still there for them. I still support them.

Jason:  You don’t live in Chicago. Is it as fun for you watching…being an armchair coach and yelling at your TV, or do you prefer to be on the sidelines at the game?

Marni:  I definitely prefer to be on the sidelines at the game, but you can’t always get to Chicago.

Jason:  Do you feel like it’s a sacrifice? Like does it…It seems like it takes a lot of time. I watch nearly every Trail Blazers game and sometimes people are really surprised. They’re like, “You are able to watch every Trail Blazers game?” And I’m like, “Well, pretty close.” I watch a lot of them.

Marni:  Well I think when you’re a dedicated fan, you just make the time for that, because that’s important to you. And you seek out people who are like-minded and who want to enjoy those activities with you.

Jason:  Right, and it helps you have fun with your friends. It gives you an activity.

Marni:  Exactly, yeah.

Jason:  And it helps you relax, if you’re watching it by yourself.

Marni:  Yeah. I always find it more stressful, because if they’re losing, then you feel tense.

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "First Conditional" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Marni is a fan of the Cubs, a baseball team from Chicago. The Cubs are known as a team that often loses, so Jason thinks it must be hard for Marni to be their fan. But Marni says that being a fan is all about loyalty. You have to support your team no matter what, even when they lose.

Although Marni prefers to watch Cubs games in person, she also likes watching them at home on TV. Jason says that being a fan takes up a lot of time. He watches almost every game that his favorite basketball team, the Portland Trail Blazers, plays. He thinks it’s fun and relaxing to watch games, but Marni finds it stressful.

Are you a fan of any sports teams? Do you think being a fan is fun or stressful? What is being a fan like for you?

Comments

kane charles

China

for kobe, for lakers… i am a loyal fan, i have love them for almost 10 years, they win, i am happy, they lose,i feel sorrow… i think we are one, just like a person, so i can feel them…

07:05 AM Jun 11 2011 |

Athosfbc

Athosfbc

Brazil

well I know how to suffer with a team!!!

11:43 AM Jun 01 2011 |

fercho_charming

Colombia

I’m a fan of Deportes Tolima, A Colombian’s team. But I think one’s gotta be a good fan, respect other people’s mind, and their teams. If you want to be a good fan, you’ve gotta support ‘em, whether they lose or win. xD

10:44 PM May 31 2011 |

ceko81

ceko81

Turkey

In Turkey, fenerbahce is the best sports team, so I support it. This season, we took all of the proffesional leagues cup. We are the best !! One day in the world everyone knows fenerbahce.. :)

02:05 PM May 31 2011 |

dujuan03402

China

when u meet the one made u crazy, evrything is possible

08:03 AM May 30 2011 |

rogeholl

rogeholl

Brazil

I am a fan of Santos footbal club . a soccer team from Brazil .  them most player soccer played in Santos , your name is PELÉ .  

12:05 AM May 30 2011 |

apengapeng

apengapeng

China

perfect

06:30 PM May 29 2011 |

crash001

crash001

India

I am not fan of any team.

05:00 PM May 29 2011 |

sedra mohammed

Yemen

hi

I am not a fan but I think the fan is stressful when you are watching at home on TV

01:24 PM May 29 2011 |

An-china

An-china

Germany

I like different sports, but I am not the real fans of anyone, maybe I just care the famous players, know so little about the techinal ;0

My friends, some of them r fans of Man-unitied, some r fans of Real Madrid. So, once watch the Champion League, they fell tense.—Expecially these days

I like Messi,Kaka,Critiano Ronaldo, Kobe…

01:21 PM May 29 2011 |

Moly 20

Moly 20

Egypt

my words doesn’t mean that iam a negative girl

i just need to feel relaxed..

12:37 PM May 29 2011 |

Moly 20

Moly 20

Egypt

i think fans are always at stress condition as they want their team always win,

So , i don’t prefer to be a fan of any teem because i don’t want to be stressed

12:32 PM May 29 2011 |

hinakhan

hinakhan

India

Fan’s can do anything for them wanted team to win,yes it’s  stressful to be a fan not only for the team or geams anything.

10:51 AM May 29 2011 |

Gasim

Gasim

India

I am fan in some of more things ,, welcome new world

08:26 AM May 29 2011 |

Jane_Doe

Jane_Doe

Turkey

CHELSEA <3

05:28 PM May 28 2011 |

Shymaa

Shymaa

Palestinian Territory, Occupied

I am not a fan of any team…i prefer to be afan of anything except football!!!!

01:29 PM May 28 2011 |

MUHAMMAD92

MUHAMMAD92

Saudi Arabia

i’m fan foott ball i dont think fan stressful,

10:53 PM May 27 2011 |

aleksolivar

Mexico

I´m not a fan of some team. I´m fan of BEYONCE, this is right or not??

10:03 PM May 27 2011 |

Likes (41):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast