Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Take a Break
Take a Break English, baby! Video Lesson

Gerunds and Infinitives

Date: May 31 2011

Themes: Soap Opera

Grammar: Gerunds vs. Infinitives

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

Rest is a part of life. We sleep every night (or at least most of us do). But sometimes, you need some rest while you’re awake. That’s when you take a break.

If you take a break, you stop what you’re doing for a little while, then return to it. Many jobs allow you to take breaks. Taking breaks helps people concentrate when work is resumed.

As you will see today, you can also take breaks from things other than work. If you’re on a hike, you can take a break and sit down for a few minutes. If you’re watching a movie at home, you can pause it and take a break to make a snack.

Jeff’s girlfriend and coworker, Ella, recently adopted a child named Table. Jeff has decided he needs to take a break. Watch the video to find out what he needs to take a break from.

3. Watch - Watch the video without reading the dialog.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Jeff

Jeff

Ella

Ella

Jeff:  Ella?

Ella:  Yeah? What’s up?

Jeff:  I think we need to take a break.

Ella:  Oh, good. I’m so ready for one. Do you want to go to the coffee shop around the corner? That has…They have those great lattes, so…

Jeff:  Not that kind of break. We need to take a break from our relationship.

Ella:  What? Why?

Jeff:  Well, let’s see. To be honest, it’s Table.

Ella:  What?

Jeff:  Yeah.

Ella:  Table’s amazing! We’re gonna be like Brangelina but Jalable.

Jeff:  Table, Table, Table. That’s you all the time.

Ella:  He’s my new toy. I have to pay attention to him. I’m trying to adjust.

Jeff:  This relationship is not functioning.

Ella:  Does that mean we’re like breaking up or…What do you mean?

Jeff:  You know, take a break. Take a break!

Ella:  I mean, can I even text you or call you? I mean, how long am I supposed to wait?

Jeff:  In case of emergency, yes. But, you know, let’s take three weeks. I’ll be at my place doing my thing. You and Table will be at your place doing all the things you love to do lately. You know, we’ll sort of take some time apart. We’re not broken up. We’re together, but we need to spend some time apart.

Ella:  How is time apart going to help anything? You’re going to be over there and I’m gonna be over here, but we’re still together? That doesn’t make sense.

Jeff:  It…Reevaluate why we’re in this relationship together. Maybe it’ll put a few things in perspective. The list goes on, baby.

Ella:  I don’t like this.

Jeff:  We need to do this.

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "Gerunds vs. Infinitives" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Jeff and Ella are at work. He says he needs a break. Ella thinks he is talking about taking a break from work. She suggests they go to a nearby coffee shop. Mason, who likes Ella, suddenly appears with a coffee cup.

But Jeff explains that he doesn’t want to take a break from work. He wants to take a break from his relationship with Ella. She is confused, so he explains that he doesn’t want to end the relationship. He doesn’t want to break up. He just wants to spend some time alone and think about the relationship and Ella’s new son. Mason overhears and gets excited.

Although Ella doesn’t understand why Jeff needs to take a break from the relationship, she doesn’t seem to have a choice. He says she should only contact him in case of emergency, and they will talk again in a few weeks.

When is the last time you took a break from something?

Comments

edgarin2336

Mexico

that guy jeff is so atractiveeee

08:16 PM Nov 28 2011 |

1 person likes this

vuthanhthang

Viet Nam

I want to take a break in my job. Such a boring job !

10:12 AM Jul 07 2011 |

1 person likes this

bluese

bluese

Turkey

Here friends enjoy coffee, coffee culture to understand and break the moment, and an excellent opportunity to taste a cup of coffee would be very nice, believe me, your favorite bird would be wonderful if people on your side

12:01 PM Jun 05 2011 |

4EVER

4EVER

United Arab Emirates

i want to take a break from my study…:)

09:58 AM Jun 04 2011 |

millazhang

millazhang

China

i really need take a break ,then do my things ,and reevaluate what is a real life is .

04:09 AM Jun 03 2011 |

ANNIE FRANCES LABI

Philippines

I’m taking a break this weekend up to Monday am gonna go to the beach.., it’s gonna be holiday in Korea on Monday which means my students are also taking a break

03:07 PM Jun 01 2011 |

Miss.Seba

Miss.Seba

Yemen

in fact i am taking a break now  from studying.According to me this is what i call it a real break!

09:39 AM Jun 01 2011 |

wwongsapun

wwongsapun

Thailand

That it’s a good exit way for this thing, Sometime ,It take a brake can help us to concentrate about to difficult problem. For me, I never take a brake from relationship , Just only take a brake from my jobs when I feel tried.

02:01 AM Jun 01 2011 |

fercho_charming

Colombia

Never! I’ve never taken a break from anything, I can’t, but as everyone I think I need one of ‘em! 

09:55 PM May 31 2011 |

chief_wang

chief_wang

China

SOMETIMES, YOU NEED TO SLOW DOWN AND ENJOY THE BEAUTIFUL SCENE ON YOUR WAY.

08:46 PM May 31 2011 |

samanehh

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

when i was student at school.becouse if physical condition-that time i was prognant and i need rest.but aabiut a relation ship it;s rediculous

when a relation sgip is nice there is no reason for it

in my openion farness is basd for a relationship

08:33 PM May 31 2011 |

Tomah20

Tomah20

Saudi Arabia

I really need to take break from people that always around me , I take break from my study in University cus have to take some rest also I take break from my daily routine to new routine :)

06:48 PM May 31 2011 |

kiroonelove

United Arab Emirates

hahahahaha funny the revealed every thing EVERY THING YEA BABY

06:03 PM May 31 2011 |

hussein

Yemen

I usually take a break from the work every weekend .

04:55 PM May 31 2011 |

burcu1996

Turkey

i just join this side for improve my english

04:38 PM May 31 2011 |

postaav

postaav

Egypt

indeed ,taking a break very good to everyone who feels boring and tiring that canot qualify him to continue in his or her work. but i completely refuse to take a break in my relationship with my wife. it is difficult to seperate in any case or in any situation that is what we call life partner.

03:20 PM May 31 2011 |

lordali88

lordali88

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

i agree we need take break in our relationship because its help us to think and know that the one we choose is true one or not it let us to miss eachother and…....

02:28 PM May 31 2011 |

An-china

An-china

Germany

In China, we have a old saying called”距离产生美”-distance comes beautiful

I think some couples need take a break after be together for a long time. Everyone need the personal space

Maybe I need take a break from my job and the people around me- I need relax;0

01:23 PM May 31 2011 |

SÉRGIO

SÉRGIO

Brazil

To take a breaking from relationships doesn’t exist! You either run from things forever, or you face it!

01:14 PM May 31 2011 |

isabel139

isabel139

Peru

The last time I took a break from something it was yesterday on my job. I was working hard and then I had to took a break from work during 5 minutes. It gave me more energy to the rest of the day :)))

Tongue out

12:30 PM May 31 2011 |

Likes (14):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog: