简体
Horrible Bosses
恶老板

Passive Voice

Date: Aug 24 2011

Themes: Work

Grammar: Passive Voice

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

Let’s face it, most of us would rather not work if we didn’t have to. But a job is a necessary part of life for almost everybody. Since we have to work, we at least want to have an interesting job, fun co-workers, and a cool boss.

Unfortunately, some people get stuck with horrible bosses. A horrible boss might be mean stingy, or overly demanding. They can make us hate our job, even when we love what we do.

The new movie Horrible Bosses turns the tragedy of working for a terrible person into a comedy. Hear Jason and Amy talk about the film, and about their own experiences working for horrible bosses.

我们必须承认,若非迫不得已,我们中的很多人都宁可不去工作。但对几乎所有人而言,工作是生活中必不可少的一部分。既然不得不工作,那我们至少希望有一份感兴趣的工作,几位搞笑的同事和一位很酷的老板。
不幸的是,一些人会遭遇到恶老板。恶老板可能会吝啬小气或过于苛刻。他们会令我们讨厌自己的工作,即使我们原本热爱这份工作。
电影新作《恶老板》,将为恶人打工的悲剧转变成了喜剧。请听詹森和艾米谈论这部电影,以及他们为恶老板工作的亲身经历。

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Jason

Jason

Amy

Amy

Jason:  I saw this movie Horrible Bosses about these guys who plot to kill their bosses because they’re making their lives so hard.

Amy:  That’s a common fantasy, I bet, for a lot of people out there.

Jason:  I bet it is. It seems a little extreme, though. It’s like, don’t you think your horrible boss would just be replaced by a new horrible boss?

Amy:  Couldn’t you just get a different job, too? Like why do you have to kill…

Jason:  Or just get your boss fired! Why do they have to die?

Amy:  It’s true. It kind of makes the employees seem like horrible employees, like horrible people.

Jason:  But having a horrible boss can do crazy things to you.

Amy:  It’s true. Have you ever had a horrible boss?

Jason:  I have. It made me question everything about myself. I didn’t want to kill her, I was afraid of her.

Amy:  What did she do, I mean did she just criticize you a lot?

Jason:  Yeah, well, she just made everything into an emergency situation all the time.

Amy:  Oh, just high stress?

Jason:  Yeah.

Amy:  That’s horrible.

Jason:  Everything was harder than it had to be. Every mistake you made was a bigger deal than it needed to be.

Amy:  I think that’s a good point, like the best bosses are the ones who kind of give you the most space, I think, you know? You want some direction, but you also don’t want to be treated like a child. You’ll get your work done without having a boss standing over you putting a lot of pressure on you.

Jason:  Yeah. You want your employees to be confident, so that they’ll grow and get better and better as time goes on, instead of getting less confident and tireder.

Amy:  Or violent.

Jason:  Yeah, or violent.

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "Passive Voice" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Jason recently saw the movie Horrible Bosses, in which three guys plot to kill their terrible bosses. Amy and Jason agree that while it’s no fun having a horrible boss, murder is a pretty extreme way to react.

Jason used to have a horrible boss. She was really critical and always overreacted. She made Jason feel nervous and stressed all the time. Still, he didn’t want to kill her. He just wanted to quit that job.

Amy thinks a good boss is one who trusts her employees and gives them space. Good bosses make their employees feel confident and help them grow.

Have you ever had a horrible boss? What qualities make a good boss, and what qualities make a horrible boss?

Comments

Noël

Japan

Ive ever had one horrible boss. He was so childish that he shouted to the employees whenever things didnt work out.

In my opinion, the best boss is the one who can deal well with accidents they had. There isnt any job without trouble and they should take care of employees who caused the accidents.

04:23 PM Jan 04 2014 |

christlee

christlee

China

Wow…..lucky for have no chance to work till now,  I need to prepare for the future working life,haha~keep youself calm down and do not do some thing not so good.

01:50 PM Apr 19 2012 |

jullieta86

Russian Federation

I had a Horrible Boss twice in my life.It was realy owful to work there…....

10:34 AM Oct 03 2011 |

alzhbeta

alzhbeta

Belarus

many of us have pets. and we are the bosses for them. but people since the creation of earth hate pressure, it is an integral feature of us. when the bosses understand that people should be respected and given more space to create their work begin develope with every second.

11:02 AM Aug 29 2011 |

1 person likes this

ahmedghieth9

Egypt

horrible boss that tell me usually what to do not make me free to make the desition ,and also not fair the good boss that who traet all co worker in the same way

03:14 PM Aug 27 2011 |

Nicte ha

Nicte ha

Mexico

Yes, I agree Candy:

A true leader do not intimidating others, but a true leader inspires them.

Remember the difference between a boss and a leader:

A boss says “GO”,

A leader says “Let’s go!”Smile

E.M. Kelly

08:22 PM Aug 26 2011 |

1 person likes this

said mlk

said mlk

Morocco

yes every year i got working with horrible bosses , tnx for the lesson

05:55 AM Aug 26 2011 |

安军

安军

China

crazy!i think people should respect each other in our daily life. no matter what is your job. you want get others’ respect. the primise is you should respect others。or,even if you are the king. your national can also overthrow your tyranny!

05:25 AM Aug 26 2011 |

wwongsapun

wwongsapun

Thailand

Yes! I ever, Oh…That’s horrible in my life. Three years ago I worked with horrible boss. He’s more confident with himself without to heard other. And like to show the bad manner to other and me… And He haven’t sincerely and look to other with worthless always.

02:45 AM Aug 26 2011 |

vivian_yu2008

China

Fortunately, I have never met a horrible boss so far. I think the Personality of horrible boss is stingy, unkind… the good boss is kind,warm,open,talented and give employees space ,let them feel comfortable, encourage them even though they make a littel progress.

02:45 AM Aug 26 2011 |

7anan rose

7anan rose

Palestinian Territory, Occupied

I have never had a boss….but I know how hard it is to deal with demanding persons…...

11:34 PM Aug 24 2011 |

sroorali

sroorali

Egypt

great

11:18 PM Aug 24 2011 |

trachej

trachej

Poland

my last boss was so kind and lovable that he even asked one day if I wanna marry him :D lol

anyway he was great menager, demanding but helpful too :) I think these qualities make a good boss – it lets the business develop and keeps friendly atmosphere

08:52 PM Aug 24 2011 |

MONY----

MONY----

Egypt

ooh you remind me of ex boss he drove me crazy all the time,he was a demanding ,shouting addictor and mean person ,I hated my job and my life because of h

well I think the good boss the one who really know how to manage people without being the boss at all ! just one person of the team work who have great management and leadership skills

05:30 PM Aug 24 2011 |

M.NOUR

M.NOUR

Sudan

not yet employee  ,,but i think  not only boss can make your life bad  even the teacher can  make you hate the subject or study even >>>>>>

03:58 PM Aug 24 2011 |

DaniloOtaku

Brazil

I have 2 boos on my job.One is mor patient with ushe knows how to talk when something is wrong and when its necessary he helps us, as boss he’s good.But the other one is mote boring he’s too demandin always is worried about our job and likes to keep near from us.

03:54 PM Aug 24 2011 |

best-jhaf

best-jhaf

Yemen

lol , i do not have any boss at this time

02:50 PM Aug 24 2011 |

pagecai

pagecai

China

I need a horrible boss to make me work hard.

02:23 PM Aug 24 2011 |

selim318

selim318

Turkey

I work better when you play by the bad employees a boss ..

11:28 AM Aug 24 2011 |

Likes (6):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast