Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Childhood Stars

Childhood Stars

Date: Aug 22 2007

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

Widespread fame is a very unique and powerful experience that most people will never have. But fame finds some actors and musicians at a very young age. Can you imagine growing up famous and being on the cover of a magazine before your first kiss?

Fame at a young age sounds like a very exciting life and it often is, but it can be difficult to maintain. Careers that start so early often end early, too, and young stars become washed up before they’re fully grown.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Marni

Marni

Kevin

Kevin

Marni:  So I was just reading an article on Dakota Fanning...

Kevin:  Childhood star…

Marni:  Big, big childhood star. That was actually the point of the article was childhood stars and you know she’s so adorable in Sam I Am, that movie.

Kevin:  So cute, yeah.

Marni:  And now she’s just getting to that slightly older, a little more awkward, not quite as adorable, you know pre-pubescent age where it just seems like a lot of childhood stars just sort of hit that mark and they kind of just fizzle, and maybe they should just go and be cryogenically frozen for 10 years, I don’t know.

Kevin:  They should take a hiatus, have a break for a couple of years until they look like adults and can act like adults and get past that awkward stage.

Marni:  Yeah, well it seems like that’s when a lot of their careers sort of flounder is that early teen…I mean there are certainly exceptions, I guess Lindsay Lohan and Hillary Duff were big teen sensations.

Kevin:  Kind of debatable though, but I know what you mean.

Marni:  But a lot of ‘em, that whole childhood star phenomenon it seems to be like this repeating tragedy.

Kevin:  It’s quite sad, actually.

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Marni recently read a magazine article on Dakota Fanning and childhood stars in general. She and Kevin agree that Fanning was good in I Am Sam (which Marni calls Sam I Am) and that she is very cute.

But Marni says that she fears that Fanning is getting a little older and that she may not be so charming in her teenage years. She notes that a lot of young stars have a hard time maintaining success as they grow up. She jokes that they ought to be frozen to preserve their youth. Kevin says they could at least take a break until they are adults and have skipped over the awkward teenage years.

Marni suggests a couple of exceptions who maintained their popularity into adulthood. Kevin isn’t really sure if Lindsay Lohan or Hillary Duff count as successful childhood stars, but he and Marni agree that it’s sad when fame comes and goes very quickly for a young person.

Do you have a favorite young star? Did you want to be famous when you were little? Would you like it if one of your kids became a star?

Comments

djebSuper Member!

France

the audio sond dosn’t work mhy’?

11:29 AM Nov 26 2022 |

djebSuper Member!

France

11:29 AM Nov 26 2022 |

djebSuper Member!

France

11:26 AM Nov 26 2022 |

partsmake

China

English level would be washed up for both foreign elders and youngsters in learning 

01:31 AM Apr 25 2015 |

mahbubeh92

mahbubeh92

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

i saw the movie SAM I AM..really amazing ..but sean penn’s role  was more outstanding .

07:52 AM Jun 24 2014 |

Albii

Argentina

I think that is nagi with the children work 'cos children have 2 enjoy Ur infancy. 4 work R the adults.
Really a shame is that the children work 'cos they lose Ur infancy, instead of playing as there does the majority of the children of early age.
If when I have a son, he wants to be famous and he have the possibility I will support it if he really he likes to do it. XD
But if he doesn't want 2 do it I will not 4ce it 'cos I don't have any interest of having a famous child.

Gr8 page !

XXX

08:49 PM Oct 24 2009 |

swallow_

swallow_

Ukraine

I suppose, Dacota Fanning is a gifted girl. And she’ll have a greate success when she grow up. But to tell the truth, I disapprove when children are occupied any profession instead of frisk with coevals

09:04 AM Jun 08 2008 |

lost soul

lost soul

United States

i thin everyone should fallow their dream no matter how long it takes to get to your goal.. Smile

07:49 AM Dec 05 2007 |

murat66

Turkey

money, money, money.. just important for childhood stars' parents. That's all.  

11:53 AM Sep 28 2007 |

boss4eva

boss4eva

United Arab Emirates

if i was an actor i would be popular more than i am he he i want to try this experience how does it look like will i enjoy it? and about my kids i dont know maybe > imagin watching ur child acting in amovie it will be cool but i sill want to try the experience of being an actor

let me aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaact   hhahaha

09:38 PM Aug 28 2007 |

boss4eva

boss4eva

United Arab Emirates

i dont think its good idea that children become famous it will disturp their life and they will fell shammed if they couldnt compelet in a certain time

09:22 PM Aug 28 2007 |

Maricarmen04

Dominican Republic

uhhhhh thats interesting.i loved the twin Olsen and i know that now they don look so adorable like 10 year before,but i have to admitt that the sister had grown fighting for what they wants and that is a reason to admire more and more!!

02:46 AM Aug 28 2007 |

shimanaz

shimanaz

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

Yes…this little Ms. Dakota Fanning shocked me with her nice piece of playing while I was watching “I am Sam”. But I don’t have any other particular favorite young actors to mention. I’ve never wanted to be an actress even in my dreams since my childhood. And about what my kid wants to do. (Although I don’t like to have one)I won’t encourage my child to do such a thing and I don’t have any interest in having a famous kid, but If she or he really likes to do it I’ll let her or him know the consequences including the harms as well as the profits. And she or he can decide about it. “Have your own way, kiddy!’

09:03 PM Aug 27 2007 |

cira

Georgia

please,explain me how to download this movie lessons.Thanks :)

01:06 PM Aug 27 2007 |

SILVER CASIOS

Syrian Arab Republic

fabulous..keep on showing us new stuff ehabby…go on

08:14 PM Aug 25 2007 |

qoqo

qoqo

Singapore

I think those little boys and girls enjoy the feeling to be  famous.However they are not so mature that they can't haddle the effect bring to the pratical life.Behavioral bias is a big  problem.Finally, tragedy appeared.

05:45 PM Aug 25 2007 |

amanda1981

China

yeah,i agree with you much of that.

everything have two sides,that is all.

fame fading  away means another begining of their lives.they will be more difiicult to live,but i think it is definitely not a really bad thing.maybe when thay grow up,they will be better than normal people as thay had many spark experiences and deep understanding of lives.they will be more excellence and more mature haha

so hope they will grow better after all.

12:51 PM Aug 23 2007 |

zeus2006

zeus2006Super Member!

Turkey

If their parents will be able to keep their children’s childhood during this fame no matter.But I don’t prefer my child chooses this way.

08:26 AM Aug 23 2007 |

mz.smile

mz.smile

China

hmmm.every thing have two sides.as a famous star at childhood can bring u fame,and at much time, your future life will be more easier.it should be certain that u will be happy surround by the pepole,followers,flicker, applause…it is all cool…many pepole image in all life and can not get…on the other hand,as we know,childhood is pure stage,it is time to play,to study,spmeone said"no kite,no childhood" it should be free…child did not hv strong shoulder,so it can not take much pression any more…but unfortunately,childhood stars almost take.

03:00 AM Aug 23 2007 |

winnie86

China

being famous at a young age is not that good,the kids may lost themselve easily,if i have a baby,i don’t want him famous,i just want him happy and growing healthy.

02:42 AM Aug 23 2007 |

Likes (104):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast