简体
Extreme Weather
极端天气

Learn Comparatives and Superlatives

Date: Dec 07 2011

Themes: Weather

Grammar: Comparatives and Superlatives

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

From heat waves to floods to hurricanes, there has been a lot of extreme weather this year, and it’s caused a lot of suffering for people around the world. Some scientists are linking extreme weather to climate change, and warning that even more crazy weather could be on its way. So what can we do to prepare for extreme weather, or deal with it once it’s here? Listen to Mason and Jason share their thoughts.

从热浪到洪水再到飓风,这一年里出现过很多极端天气,使世界各地的人们遭受很多灾难。有些科学家正在将极端天气与气候变化联系起来,并且警告说,将来可能还会出现更加异常的天气。那么,在极端天气到来之前或到来时,我们能做些什么呢?请听梅森和詹森的看法。

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Jason

Jason

Mason

Mason

Jason:  I know some folks who lived through the hurricane in New England.

Mason:  Oh really? Wow, I mean, is everyone OK?

Jason:  Totally, totally OK. I mean, it wasn’t a very extreme hurricane, if any hurricane can not be that extreme in some ways.

Mason:  I actually…A friend of mine recently moved here from Joplin, Missouri, where there was that terrible tornado, and his house got some damage to it, but not like totally destroyed. But he has plenty of friends who completely lost, like, everything. I don’t think any of his people were hurt, which is, you know, the lucky thing.

Jason:  Yeah.

Mason:  But it’s been weird. There’s been a real, you know, glut of extreme weather lately, what with the hurricanes...

Jason:  Yeah, there’s been a lot of disasters. But I mean, I wonder if when your friend moved to Joplin, if it ever occurred to him that maybe there would be a tornado. Is that something that you would consider if you were going to live somewhere?

Mason:  I don’t know. Probably not to him, but you know, maybe as you become older and wiser you put that in your consideration set for where I want to spend a good portion of my life.

Jason:  Maybe. Then there’s those people who chase tornadoes. Like, it’d be kind of cool to see something like that, as long as it didn’t…

Mason:  There is a sort of appeal to something that extreme. But for me personally, I’m happy to stay the heck away from it.

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "Comparatives and Superlatives" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Jason has friends who recently lived through a hurricane. Fortunately, the hurricane wasn’t too extreme and none of them were hurt.

Mason also has friends who have lived with extreme weather. He has one friend who recently lived through a tornado. He knew many people whose homes were completely destroyed by the tornado.

Jason and Mason agree that there has been a lot of extreme weather recently. Mason says he wouldn’t move to a place that was known for having extreme weather, like tornadoes. But sometimes it’s difficult to predict what the weather is going to do.

Have you ever experienced any extreme weather? What can you do to prepare for extreme weather?

Comments

Mk-Babar

Mk-Babar

Pakistan

Anybody interested to practice English and to share knowledge.. add me at skype.. We will have chating, voice calls, conference calls.
skype id: cruiser40403

11:47 AM Jan 19 2013 |

DominikLi

DominikLi

China

Weather there is OK,but sometimes rains heavily during the summer time.It just look like somebody pouring water from sky,but lucky the rain is always short,about 10 minutes.

10:14 AM Jan 19 2013 |

La Princesse de la vie

Egypt

I have never lived such experience. Talking about storms, tornadoes, volcanoes, hurricanes or earthquakes really frightens me. But that is the power of nature. Once a natural disaster happens, there’s nothing for people to do, just pray to survive :) 

05:40 PM Jul 05 2012 |

*asma*

*asma*

Algeria

i’ve never experienced any extreme weather
here in algeria we don’t suffer from these disasters such as tornado and hurricane but in the capital sometimes we hear about the floods and Earthquakes because i live in an area where never happened like these disasters or these catastrophes . the flood of 2001 in algeria exactly in beb el-wed It destroyed everything it was a big disaster in algeria

08:31 PM Dec 21 2011 |

georg1bos

Serbia and Montenegro

Very god lesson about weather.We need to follow weather forecast every day.

08:01 PM Dec 14 2011 |

agunia_88

agunia_88

Poland

engedy : try the gospels, for example Matthew 24:7 or the whole passage (Matt. 24:3-14) and Luke 21: 7- 11

you’re right that it’s predicted in the Bible that “in the last days” which is before the end, as you said, there was going to be a lot of natural disasters, hunger, wars, violence and so on

i also believe the Bible that’s why I’m not surprised at all by what’s happenning right now and am also sure that God will soon put a stop to it

11:34 AM Dec 09 2011 |

4EVER

4EVER

United Arab Emirates

I never experienced  an extreme weather, here we have a mild weather,so there is no disaster like floods..thanks for Allah..

06:12 PM Dec 07 2011 |

1 person likes this

Ryan2000

China

I never have experienced a extreme weather .Humans are so tiny and weak when faced with the nature extreme power.Confucius said ,A ture man won’t stand beside a collapsing wall.Wish everbody choose safe place to live.

03:02 PM Dec 07 2011 |

kukuka

kukuka

Ukraine

Well, I’d say I’ve never experienced a super extreme weather like when your house gets destroyed or totally ruined but of course sometimes it’s windy outside and I can even feel scared. I don’t like it. I guess when people move to another place they should consider different issues including the weather. I’d love to live somewhere where you don’t have to put on much clothes because of low temperatures or stay at home due to permanent rain.

02:27 PM Dec 07 2011 |

The Last Joke

Yemen

Thanks for God I have never experienced any extreme weather before .

But people all over the world think that as the world warms and climates change, They will see more thunderstorms, floods, hurricanes, tornadoes, wildfires and droughts. All of these extreme weather events can hurt their environment, making it difficult for people, plants and animals to live safety.

01:37 PM Dec 07 2011 |

sibby724

sibby724

Taiwan

its getting really cold here btw. lol

01:20 PM Dec 07 2011 |

FUN777

FUN777

Egypt

Fortunately for me i haven’t experienced any extreme weather before. Honestly, i totally don’t like these kinds of weather it makes me feel bad, lazy and pessimistic too, i’d prefer more bright sun in a summer weather.

12:28 PM Dec 07 2011 |

jinning

jinning

China

I lived through an extrame cold whether in year 2008 which we had never met before, it made the water pipe crack, food price surge,traffic stuck.So many peopel were trapped in the way home for chinese new year. It was really a night mare to me.

10:51 AM Dec 07 2011 |

kotlesya

kotlesya

Belarus

Thank goodness, the location of my country is nice, indeed. We don’t have an extremely weather like a tornado, hurricane etc here. 

I have no idea how is to bear the extremely weather? How is to meet it face to face! It would be terrible…...

08:19 AM Dec 07 2011 |

1 person likes this

yjfnyygy

yjfnyygy

China

i have never experienced any exterme weather ,acutally , i also don’t know how to prepare for exterme weather ,in past years i have always heard something about exterme weather ,such as flood ,tornado, heavy rain and so on , and often report that on TV ,so many people be suffered from disaster , and a lot of houses are completely destroied there .

07:53 AM Dec 07 2011 |

1 person likes this

CatcheR

CatcheR

Iceland

I guess disaster can happens everywhere, we just have to be aware, we don’t have to be scare to move somewhere because of the place is dangerous, I am so glad that I live in tropical area, no snow , no winter hehe, no tornado, but volcano is happening very often in Indonesia, but it’s far from where am I living right now, I have seen so many cases on TV , and I guess they should get ready, and beware… stay happy !!

07:38 AM Dec 07 2011 |

jymary

China

I saw a lot of disaster movies about extreme weather,such as ”the day after tomorrow”,”tornado”and so on. 

05:44 AM Dec 07 2011 |

agnes-China

China

I am lucky. I have never experienced extreme weather. But, on the  TV News, I have seen extreme weather happened in some countries around the world.

03:35 AM Dec 07 2011 |

julito

julito

Argentina

true , nature is becoming more  more violent  everyday  ,to make matters worst ,people tend to live  in disasters-prone areas , on the slopes of the mountains, river banks  and  forests .  

11:41 AM Dec 06 2011 |

1 person likes this

Likes (14):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog: