Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

take time off

简体
take time off
休假

Date: Dec 22 2011

Themes: Work

1. Quote - Listen to the quote and guess what the slang means.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

“I don’t really take time off. I don’t know what I’m going to do when I’m not on tour!”

- Singer Taylor Swift on her lack of hobbies. (Us Weekly)

“我没有真正地休过假。当我不巡回演出的时候我不知道该做什么!”
- 歌手泰勒·史薇芙特 (Taylor Swift) 谈论她缺乏业余爱好。

Definition

1. Definition - Study the definition.

take a vacation; not work for a period

2. Use - Learn how the slang is used.

We all need to take time off now and then. Off of what? To take time off means to have a vacation, or simply not work for a while. Even if you do nothing more than lie on the couch with your feet kicked up all day, as long as you aren’t at work, you’re still taking time off.

But some people, like Taylor Swift, don’t know how to take time off. When they aren’t busy working, they don’t know what to do with themselves. They feel bored and restless. You might say they’re workaholics…or they might just really love their jobs.

It’s possible to take time off from things other than work. Sometimes you might need to take time off from your family and be alone. Or a couple might decide to take time off from their relationship and try to decide if they really want to be together. But the thing we most often take time off from is work. Now doesn’t that sound nice?

When was the last time you took time off? What did you do with your free time?

Examples

1. Examples - Hear some example sentences.

“I’ve been so busy at work lately. I wish I could take time off.”

“Mary took time off from work to finish her college degree.”

“Let’s take time off this summer and go on a trip.”

Winners

1. Winners - See who guessed the slang definition correctly.

I guess that take time off means when you are not on work or school . To take a vacation for a awhile from work or school .
by Little Nona
cubi1604 Not working. Taking a break
by cubi1604
CatcheR take a break / stop working.
by CatcheR
 julito Stop working or studying .
by julito
Manu4 Taking a break or a pause from daily routine
by Manu4
When you take time off, it means that you stop to work temporarily.
by candycandice
englishty To take day off or a rest from what you used to do in your normal day
by englishty

Want to guess next week's slang?

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Comments

Shomarker324

Åland Islands

Education is of diverse and versatile nature for the modern students and members of the academics. The goals and objectives foot life are learned and used dissertations superior papers for the success. The acquisition has become very modern and latest due to the technology.

10:54 AM Sep 08 2015 |

wave ocean

wave ocean

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

“I’ve been so busy at work lately. I really wish I could take time off.”

10:47 AM Feb 24 2012 |

birwan

birwan

Malaysia

i have not taken time off for along time about one year. so i will take time off for this schedule on february. it is will become the good day for me and my family. i will visit bali becouse i seldom go there. so i should invite my family to enjoy our spare time.Cool

Laughing

04:04 PM Jan 18 2012 |

Maria del Alba

Spain

I am very lazy, so I think I am taking too time off haha but what it is worse for me it is that there are moments you are always hanging out, and others just the opposite since you have a lot to do and you don’t have any single moment to relax!

05:27 PM Jan 03 2012 |

1 person likes this

wwongsapun

wwongsapun

Thailand

In real, For me I have been to take time off around 2 years ago. I just to rest as hide life  with on the moutain, garden flowers and a good natural around me. It’s a good time for me. I put of all everything in myhead then went to somewhere for rest as long as I can. Oh I feel want to have to take time off for go to there again.

02:56 PM Dec 25 2011 |

noghii

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

to have a holiday from work on a particular day,or for a particular length of time

09:09 PM Dec 22 2011 |

julito

julito

Argentina

Nothing more rewarding than spending quality time with our family . forget our laptops ,cellphones,newspapers ,nature is so beautiful and enchanting ,the mountains, forests,the ocean ,you name it !! After a time off visiting these places we are  getting back to our responsabilities  totally renew. My niece was in the London airport waiting for her connection to argentina  and started a conversation with an old British gentleman as follows: you are young , let me give you an advice: I am a famous British surgeon ,I have  been working  non-stop  all my life , now I am old and I am travelling around the world  but I can not enjoy it .Your are young and healthy  ,travel now, at old age  is hard to  move around. 

08:47 PM Dec 22 2011 |

Leka_K

Leka_K

Ukraine

По-английски (Редактировать)

I can only dreaming about taking time off)But some dreams sometimes come true..new-year holidays will be soon and I’ll be able to take time off

08:42 PM Dec 22 2011 |

whipiry

whipiry

South Korea

this season. it’s time to take time off . ^^

08:05 PM Dec 22 2011 |

i love life

Palestinian Territory, Occupied

All of us need a vacation .

we need lots of time until take some rest some relaxes we suffering from shortage of take time off all the time we are working .

I dont like imposed myself to take time off but often we aspire to go somewhere without any planning it.s happened suddenly by accident .

The last vacation was when I went to jordan with my family Really we had a nice time together we went to the sea we ate  we are dancing   we played we done every thing Actually was incredible time there.

I would like recommend every one If you have time Actually you should exploit it 

Have a nice time to all people are planning to go somewhere.

God bless you 

07:55 PM Dec 22 2011 |

Khenifra

Khenifra

Germany

We work to live and we don’t live to work :-)

07:49 PM Dec 22 2011 |

Sourabhenglishbaby

United States

I am going to take time off soon from my office to enjoy with family and friends.

05:38 PM Dec 22 2011 |

snoopyboy

snoopyboy

Antarctica

I can relate to IMPERVIM’s comment, sometimes we take time off from one technology  only to occupy ourselves with  another one. Funny but very true

03:48 PM Dec 22 2011 |

snoopyboy

snoopyboy

Antarctica

When you are a working person, or are involved in activities that deprive you from having some free times, you might consider taking a couple days off. To me taking time off is more pleasurable when you know there is a job waiting for you. I have been out of employment for more than 2 months and I can tell you honestly that I did not enjoy my free times very much. Work and vacation although commonly seen as opposite and conflicting things should in fact go together. Studies and surveys have proven it, and I know from firsthand experience that people who take time off usually perform better when they resume their work.

What do I call “Time off”? To me taking time off, at some extent is when you let go of anything that could be a source of anxiety or “stress-prone” obligations. It could be the simplest littlest things we take for granted. Taking time off is when you stare into the emptiness of your surroundings, when you let your imagination wander freely; it’s when you are conscious of every breath you take (Okay, back to earth)…meditation. Yes walking barefoot in the sand at sea, or indulge in a little promenade under the canopy of the most marvelous trees in a foreign place, or lying idly on a massage table, all that seem to be the idyllic  activities we’d opt for during our days off. Taking time off shouldn’t be a luxury because it really doesn’t have to be. It could be a simple enjoyable obligation. “Make” time to do the things you are entitled and should be doing besides working. I respect every working parent who spends time with their kids, who squeezes a 25th hour in a day only to have that one extra time to be a mother/father. And please to every parent out there quit saying being a mother/father is like having a full-time job. It is NOT a job, quite the contrary it is “taking time off” from being a workaholic. It is very unlikely to quit or wake up the next day and stop being a mother/father. However you can lose your job.

Just in case my boss is reading :  “ I love you Boss!”,  job security people, job security (:

03:33 PM Dec 22 2011 |

sunar

Turkey

I’m working very hard.But I have to take time off before my operation.

12:30 PM Dec 22 2011 |

Kubi

Kubi

Germany

1. You can take time off every weekend if you really want it and if you don’t work at weekends.

2. After work not thinking and speaking about the daily work means for me also take time off.

3. But what I really want when I take time off is, leaving the city for a while where I’am working and leaving.

11:51 AM Dec 22 2011 |

1 person likes this

asharaf.m

asharaf.m

India

i wanna take time off from this boring life on this derty earth

09:14 AM Dec 22 2011 |

bonniewang99

China

Everyone need take time off. Otherwise he/she can’t have a good life. My husband is a man don’t know how to take time off . He know work only and don’t know what to do if lose the work. and we often  have displeasure because it.

07:20 AM Dec 22 2011 |

1 person likes this

kotlesya

kotlesya

Belarus

It is always nice  to take time off, but that possibility  happens not so often like we all would like  it to happen. We all need a distraction from our routine. I like to have long walks in the forest with my family, reading, photographing, planting, drawing for my children. I like to spend my free time in countryside, because there is more freedom, than it is in the big city.

06:19 AM Dec 22 2011 |

m_mahboob

m_mahboob

Pakistan

the people who work or study need to take time off because this eliminates monotonous of routine life

05:59 AM Dec 22 2011 |

1 person likes this

Likes (13):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog: