简体
Visiting Parents
看望父母

How to Compare Quantity

Date: Jan 23 2012

Themes: Family, Travel

Grammar: Comparing Quantity

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

No matter how frequently you see your parents, they probably wish you would visit them more often. It seems like parents can never get enough of seeing their children. But some adult children find visiting their parents to be stressful or a hassle, especially when they don’t live in the same city. Find out how often Jason and Amy visit their parents.

无论你看望父母有多频繁,他们都希望再频繁一点。父母似乎永远看不厌他们的孩子。但是,某些成年子女发现探望父母压力很大或者很麻烦,尤其他们不在同一座城市居住的时候。找出詹森和艾米多长时间看望父母一次。

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Amy

Amy

Jason

Jason

Amy:  How often do you visit your parents?

Jason:  They visit me, actually, more often than I visit them.

Amy:  Oh yeah?

Jason:  They live in New Mexico, which is over a thousand miles away, and it’s kind of easier for them being in their early sixties to come out here in some ways, than it is for me to go there. So, on average, I’d say I see them about twice a year.

Amy:  And is it a stressful thing for you? I know some people get kind of stressed out visiting their parents.

Jason:  Yeah, and that’s the other thing. For me it’s less stressful when they visit here, because they treat it like a vacation and they stay in a hotel.

Amy:  Oh, they stay in a hotel? That’s awesome.

Jason:  Yeah. Whereas if I go visit them, then it’s like all the teenage baggage is right there again. I’m fifteen.

Amy:  I feel the same way. I know, it’s like even though my room doesn’t look like my room growing up anymore, it’s been converted into a guest room, I still somehow feel like I’m fifteen when I go home.

Jason:  Yeah, and I catch myself whining to my mom and stuff, like, “Mom, no! Leave me alone!”

Amy:  Right. You get lazy. Suddenly you can’t clean up after yourself…

Jason:  Yeah! And I’m like, “Who am I? This is horrible!”

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "Comparing Quantity" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Amy asks Jason how often he sees his parents. He says he sees them about twice a year, but they usually come visit him because it’s easier for them to make the trip. Jason also prefers to have his parents come visit him.

Jason and Amy agree that when they visit their parents, they sometimes act like teenagers. Jason says that being back in the house he grew up in makes him act like a different person. He becomes whiny and lazy, like when he was younger.

Many people find visiting their parents, or having their parents come stay with them, to be stressful. When Jason’s parents visit him, they stay in a hotel, so it isn’t stressful for him.

How often do you visit your parents? Do you find it stressful to visit them or have them come stay with you?

Comments

Shiva20

Shiva20

India

Nice talk

01:48 PM Jun 16 2012 |

Rockyy01

Rockyy01

Pakistan

I’m lucky I never needed to ‘VISIT…’ my parents…
that’s because I always ‘LIVED…’ with them till their last moments…

09:12 AM Jun 16 2012 |

snow l

snow l

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

our holy book “Qor’an” advises:
“Be good to your parents”
i’m thankful to my parents:)
for their love and kindness

08:30 AM Jun 11 2012 |

Artdee

Artdee

Thailand

I visited my parents one a year. when I am sad, I will phone them or go to meet them after that I feel better. My office is so far from my parents house so I can’t visit them often but I phone them often.

12:35 PM Apr 24 2012 |

blinbus

blinbus

Russian Federation

I visit my parents four or three times a year. I really love every minute I am at my parents place, we can talk about everything, we cook a lot together, we have long walks. And I always miss them when we are separated

02:35 PM Feb 19 2012 |

Some of spring

Russian Federation

My parents are very modern and active people, sometimes I can’t catch them because of their work, trips and businesses :) So I like to see them, they don’t hassle me at all! By the way we always have interesting conversations, even my husband likes my parents. I visit them every month, but don’t stay at home – we live in the same city.

12:43 PM Feb 09 2012 |

jan_di

Viet Nam

I can’t stand living away from my parents, even 4 a day.

12:43 PM Feb 05 2012 |

2 people like this

jouana

Lebanon

I visit my parent every two years because i live too far far away and its too expensive to go there every year but i wich i have money to go every year but  it’s stressful for me I want that I would come myself physically and psychologically but when i see them i forgot all the

stress

07:39 PM Jan 31 2012 |

oroba

oroba

Yemen

I couldn’t stay even one day away from my mother 

04:35 PM Jan 29 2012 |

2 people like this

hamidgoodboy

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

Even if you think that your parents are mean-spirited at times, loving your parents is a normal and fulfilling part of life. You can still love them and not like them; there is no need to set your dreams by their own but you can still find love in your heart for the fact that they created you, raised you, and are in part a source of who you are. Here are some ways to love your parents.

07:17 PM Jan 27 2012 |

cheer manal

Morocco

our parents are an integral part  of our life, no matter what, they will always be in our hearts…...they have done aloot to us and it´s time to give them the reward 

10:38 PM Jan 26 2012 |

Maria del Alba

Spain

I never visit my parents since I live with them yet! haha but I find stressful when I am out for a time and then I go back home and I whine again and I still have a time to arrive home or timetables to tidy and clean up…

10:02 PM Jan 26 2012 |

1 person likes this

wwongsapun

wwongsapun

Thailand

One time of year that I visit my mom at my home town. There are far away from Bangkok. I feel glad that see my mom and my grandmother are await to see me. I get to know about their are feeling to me by full of thinking and true love. I want have a more time to spend with them…..But I haven’t it

12:41 PM Jan 24 2012 |

1 person likes this

kukuka

kukuka

Ukraine

I visit my parents every weekend as they live in the same city. But to be honest I don’t like when Parents come to myplace as I want my apartment to be my private space and I hate it when my space gets broken by someone. It sounds a lit bit egoistic, isn’t it?

09:14 AM Jan 24 2012 |

AUL

AUL

Azerbaijan

Really super subject..Now I live with my family

But i dont think i can live wiyhout seeing them and for me not having time is no reason for it

if our parent can have time for sleepless nights , doinf all hard work only for us , and a lot of things like that . Parent can do everything only for  their children and in front of all it do you think the child has right to say i have no time?!

i think no

because we dont know how much they’ll live to make them happy and to visit them as much as possible it is child’s duty , debt and resbonsibility

06:37 AM Jan 24 2012 |

Learner of Life

Indonesia

Like this lesson. Thank you… ^_

12:05 AM Jan 24 2012 |

tilwayne

tilwayne

Morocco

I don’t know about you guys, but I really freak out everytime the idea of them passing away at some point of my life comes around. I believe I would need a lifetime to make it up for what they sacrificed for me.

One advice: Make your parents’ pride your watchword in life

10:09 PM Jan 23 2012 |

snoopyboy

snoopyboy

Antarctica

tilwayne .  O___O

very Wise!

:)

09:45 PM Jan 23 2012 |

tilwayne

tilwayne

Morocco

Love your parents, we are so busy growing up that we forget that they are also growing old…

09:38 PM Jan 23 2012 |

snoopyboy

snoopyboy

Antarctica

ha!, meet me in South Georgia Island, Julito!

08:44 PM Jan 23 2012 |

1 person likes this

Likes (31):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog: