简体
Signature Songs
成名曲

Learn about the Past Perfect Tense

Date: Mar 05 2012

Themes: Music

Grammar: Past Perfect Tense

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

Even though an artist may have many hits throughout their career, they are often remembered for one signature song. A signature song is the song that always comes to mind when you hear the artist’s name.

In fact, you can put the word “signature” in front of anything that truly defines the person who did it. For instance, Michael Jordan’s signature dunk is now the logo of his brand of shoes. And in soccer, people always think of Pele anytime someone does his signature bicycle kick.

Whitney Houston was one of the bestselling musicians in history. She won dozens of awards for many different songs before her recent and tragic death at the age of 48. Listen to Marni and Amy talk about signature songs and which of Whitney’s hits she will be remembered for.

尽管艺术家在其一生中可能有很多歌曲,但是他们通常会因自己的成名曲而被人们记住。成名曲是你一听到那位艺术家的名字就会出现在脑海中的那首歌曲。
实际上,你可以把“成名”这个词放在真正定义做这件事的人的任何内容之前。例如,迈克尔·乔丹 (Michael Jordan) 的灌篮形象现在成为了乔丹品牌鞋类的标志。在足球方面,人们一想到贝利 (Pele),就会想到他经典的倒勾动作。
惠特尼·休斯顿 (Whitney Houston) 是历史上最卖座的音乐家之一。令人心痛的是,她在最近去世,享年48岁。在此之前,她的歌曲曾获得无数奖项。听听玛尼和艾米谈论成名曲以及惠特尼的哪首歌曲将被人们铭记。

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Marni

Marni

Amy

Amy

Marni:  Pretty tragic about Whitney Houston dying, don’t you think?

Amy:  It is. She’s sort of an iconic figure from my formative years.

Marni:  Definitely had an amazing voice. That song, “I Will Always Love You,” she really…hitting those high notes, I mean, she was pretty amazing.

Amy:  I have to say, a lot of radio stations and stuff were playing that song after she died, and I just…I heard it, and I hadn’t heard it in a long time, and it gave me goosebumps. Like, I think that song is going to stand the test of time.

Marni:  Oh, interesting.

Amy:  I think it’s a signature song.

Marni:  I would agree with you on that. I think it’s definitely a signature song. Do you think that signature songs are really, like, key for artists to be successful? Like having that one song that people always associate them with?

Amy:  I think so, yeah. Because then when you hear that song you always think of that artist. Or when you think of that artist you always think of that song. So it’s kind of like having a recognizable brand, or having a really great jingle if you’re a company. It’s like that one thing that you’re always remembered for.

Marni:  Right. It kind of helps that artist and that song sort of stand the test of time.

Amy:  The one thing is, though, what if your signature song, like the one song that you’re remembered for, was a bad song?

Marni:  You know, that’s a good point. I always think of Nirvana, because I loved Nirvana. But the one song that really broke them and made them huge was “Smells Like Teen Spirit,” which I think is one of their weakest songs. It’s not one of my favorites. So I think people associate them with that song, but their other work is much stronger.

Amy:  Well, at least neither Nirvana nor Whitney Houston were one hit wonders, where their signature song was their only popular song.

Marni:  So true.

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "Past Perfect Tense" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Marni and Amy talk about Whitney Houston, who recently passed away. Amy says that Whitney was an iconic figure. She thinks that Whitney’s signature song, “I Will Always Love You,” will stand the test of time.

Marni wonders if it is important for artists to have a signature song. Amy thinks that having a signature song is like having a memorable jingle or brand. It helps people remember the artist.

One negative aspect of having a signature song, according to Marni, is that an artist’s signature song might not be their best song. So the artist might be remembered for something that isn’t actually their greatest work. But that’s still better than being a one hit wonder.

Can you think of other artists with a signature song? Which artists of today do you think will stand the test of time?

Comments

Erise

Erise

Poland

Lots of films easily come  to mind merely due to the song in it. These have become the signature ones for the  film, not only the jingle. They will definitely stand the test of time

07:54 PM Apr 15 2013 |

alaa17 "lolo"

Germany

(Y)

01:05 AM Sep 01 2012 |

ola33

ola33

Japan

Candycandice, Elvis Presley… All his songs are hits. He didn’t have the voice like Whitney Huston, but he had a charisma and was very genuine with the audiance who was mostly girls. And his songs were coming from heart. Very unique singer, whose signature songs’re mostly all his songs.

10:03 PM Mar 18 2012 |

tashauna22

tashauna22

United States

i love u whitney Laughing

08:12 PM Mar 18 2012 |

1 person likes this

ahmedghieth9

Egypt

she was talent ,but all off that cause drugs

07:55 AM Mar 10 2012 |

louisa djenani

Germany

this website is really great for learning english   http://adfoc.us/296553742623

the hosts are native speakers

10:28 PM Mar 09 2012 |

sibby724

sibby724

Taiwan

RIP :-(

06:54 AM Mar 09 2012 |

xin7

xin7

Chile

It comes to my mind, for instance, Michael Jackson’s Thriller, Madonna’s Like a Virgin, Frank Sinatra’s My way.

Some of the artists of today that I think could stand the test of time are U2 and Coldplay, they have pretty good songs and are very popular between people of all ages

01:21 AM Mar 08 2012 |

MUHAMMAD92

MUHAMMAD92

Saudi Arabia

good lesson.

12:05 AM Mar 07 2012 |

E.E.M

Saudi Arabia

Cry

09:49 PM Mar 05 2012 |

i love life

Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Definitely , There are many ways we can use in order to express of our love, sometimes we love anything until if was that thing is weird .

I think the only thing make you happy when you found your soul beside someone likes you , worried about you , thinking about you .

theses  day We have another ways reflect about what we need , what we love .

I guess the artist reflect about all our desires . specially if was this singer r young like us , present time need to a new culture mostly  of people they are young over the world , they prefer modern music .

the sense is  change in the past mostly of people were preferably classic music , But now everything is change .

if you want to be iconic figure you must try to find a new ways in order to got on admiration of fans .

Good luck to All fans .

09:28 PM Mar 05 2012 |

cheer manal

Morocco

hi!

I was huge fan of  t.a.t.u. when i was a teen i loved their  songs very much, especialy “Not Gonna Get Us”. i used to copy their  style and outfits i remember well when i had the same haircut  as they had hehehe.

I long for those days of my teenageSmile

09:27 PM Mar 05 2012 |

1 person likes this

kotlesya

kotlesya

Belarus

Your guardian has got a good sense of humour I seeLaughing

06:46 PM Mar 05 2012 |

kotlesya

kotlesya

Belarus

Snoopyboy, I could give some comment to your last post, but it will be censored :( I can’t say it. But I know you will guess what I mean ;)

06:44 PM Mar 05 2012 |

1 person likes this

snoopyboy

snoopyboy

Antarctica

hehe!... I couldn’t

When I get to raging hormone stage , no one in the house  could tame me, I was  like a wild stallion.

My guardian ” you think you are a man now with your peach fuzz”

:)

I shall return Lesya.

06:36 PM Mar 05 2012 |

1 person likes this

kotlesya

kotlesya

Belarus

It sounds like genocide. I would never stand that Laughing

06:30 PM Mar 05 2012 |

1 person likes this

snoopyboy

snoopyboy

Antarctica

I start being rebelious at an early age Lesya.  So instead of spanking I started to get punishment, for instance my guardian won’t give me pocket money anymore, and she’ll start to pick me up from school…

“why you have to hold my hand, that’s embarassing”

O! the laughters of my peers

06:17 PM Mar 05 2012 |

1 person likes this

kotlesya

kotlesya

Belarus

My parents were wise letting me do what I want in my childhood. I’m grateful for that. I hate any restritions. Smile

06:14 PM Mar 05 2012 |

1 person likes this

kotlesya

kotlesya

Belarus

If I were you I would also pretend I saw it. All my sympathy to your severe childhood. My parents never restrict me from anything. They wanted to check me how far I will go with my actions Laughing 

06:11 PM Mar 05 2012 |

1 person likes this

snoopyboy

snoopyboy

Antarctica

Now I can’t stop laughing…

06:03 PM Mar 05 2012 |

1 person likes this

Likes (23):

See all >

Share this lesson: