Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

until you're blue in the face

简体
until you're blue in the face
无法再吃

Date: Jul 26 2012

1. Quote - Listen to the quote and guess what the slang means.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

“I can’t wait to go to France. I’m going to eat croissants until I’m blue in the face!”

- Actress Elizabeth Banks talking about her summer travel plans. (Us Weekly)

“我迫不及待地想去法国。我要去吃那里的羊角面包,直到我再也无法下咽!”

- 女演员伊丽莎白·班克斯 (Elizabeth Banks) 谈论她的夏季旅行计划。

Definition

1. Definition - Study the definition.

for a long time

2. Use - Learn how the slang is used.

Usually, when someone’s face turns blue, that isn’t a good sign. It means they can’t breathe. But when the actress Elizabeth Banks says that she’s going to eat croissants until she’s blue in the face, it doesn’t mean she’s going to eat them until she can’t breathe. That is, unless she eats them too quickly or forgets to chew.

When someone uses the expression until I’m blue in the face, it means they are going to do something for a long time or an excessive amount. Elizabeth Banks must really love croissants, because she plans to eat a lot of them on her upcoming trip to France. She says she is going to eat them until she’s blue in the face.

It’s most common to use the expression until you’re blue in the face when talking about things you don’t enjoy doing. For instance, “I studied until I was blue in the face,” or, “My parents yelled at me until I was blue in the face.”

Elizabeth uses the expression to talk about something she loves, eating croissants. But it isn’t a great idea to eat croissants until you’re blue in the face. Along with a blue face, she’ll probably end up with an upset stomach.

What foods do you like to eat until you’re blue in the face?

Examples

1. Examples - Hear some example sentences.

“I waited for you to show up until I was blue in the face. Then I finally went home.”

“You can beg me until you are blue in the face, but I’m not going to let you borrow my car.”

“Michael studied until he was blue in the face, but he still did poorly on his French exam.”

Winners

1. Winners - See who guessed the slang definition correctly.

Jhon Smith it might mean " she is going to eat croissants until she is full and feel sick of that food.
by Jhon Smith
Snazz De until you feel sick
by Snazz De
To do something a lot of times and not stopp, until you feel exhausted.
by candycandice
bienemaja until my body says " stop"
by bienemaja
Manu4 Until you cannot do it more.
by Manu4
Doing something until it frustrates you.
by englishteacher24/7
Julissita Until she can't eat no more or until she is full.
by Julissita

Want to guess next week's slang?

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Comments

ErinDong

ErinDong

United States

I have never done anything until I was blue in the face. well, exept for eating potstickers. nom nom nom. yes it is true if you if you’re blue in the face, you can’t breathe well or you are doing something too much. I don’t do one thing too much because it makes me very bored of one thing or it gives me a feeling that i’m gonna puke. and I don’t want that to happen because puking is very disgusting and i’ll have to clean up the mess.  

06:45 PM Aug 20 2012 |

saeedshin

saeedshin

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

when I was thinking about you until I was blue in the face, I knew that time that you dont cost like this!

01:42 PM Aug 17 2012 |

mojtaba

mojtaba

To do something a lot of times until my body feel seek 

05:07 PM Aug 11 2012 |

bravanbarzin

My children send messages on their cell phons alot,until they are blue in the face.

10:57 AM Aug 01 2012 |

bonniewang99

China

reach the limit

02:02 AM Jul 31 2012 |

Miss--Clacla98

France

I like  very well eat the dish very very  spicy , i’m  able to burn my mouth like this .I know , it’s not very good Embarassed, and inutil i’m blue in the  face…

09:06 PM Jul 30 2012 |

handwriter

handwriter

Norway

: What is the meaning of “blue in the face?” How would one use the expression?

It means for a long time, often to the point of complete exasperation, or. as the Oxford English Dictionary has it:

“b. Phr. blue (in the face): livid with effort, excitement, etc. Used hyperbolically.
1864 TROLLOPE Small House at Allington II. xvii. 175 You may talk to her till you’re both blue in the face, if you please. 1917 ‘H. H. RICHARDSON’ Fortunes R. Mahoney II. viii. 175 He alone must argue himself blue in the face over it. 1928 N. COWARD C. B. Cochran’s 1928 Revue I. v. 10 Beckon and coo Till you are blue, Mermaids have got no dam chance at all. 1934 F. BALDWIN Innoc. Byst. xi. 212 I’ve talked myself blue in the face to him. 1959 ‘P. QUENTIN’ Shadow of Guilt x. 89 Swear till you’re blue in the face that Chuck was with you all day. 1968 Observer 3 Nov. 3/3 I’ve been looking into..cases of dealers’ rings..until I’m blue in the face.”

It’s mostly used with some form of talking, especially trying to persuade someone who will not listen. “I talked myself blue in the face trying to get her to go with me.” “Listen, you can argue till you’re blue in the face, I’ll never agree with you.” 

Anyway, keep it up until you’re blue in the face – I’m listening.

01:45 PM Jul 30 2012 |

trailo_hathanh

Viet Nam

I am not having the time to login englishbaby. Wait for logining is make me blue in my face.

04:54 AM Jul 30 2012 |

Jullieta

Jullieta

Russian Federation

I like shopping until I`m blue in the face!

10:01 AM Jul 27 2012 |

S&W

S&W

China

I like to eat spicy cabbage until i was blue in the face.I know it’s not good for healthy.But when i saw them ,i can’t stop eating.

11:16 PM Jul 26 2012 |

sanaa2000

sanaa2000

Egypt

Actually I dont know,cuz I dont eat alot.But I like fatta.I feel enjoying ,when I eat it.Our prophet recommended us to eat alittle,cuz u know when u eat alot u may have alot of problems in ur stomach.

10:15 PM Jul 26 2012 |

Débora-Madiana

France

I know that it’s no good… But the sweetmeats are my great weakness, I eat them until I’m blue in the face. EmbarassedIt is the same thing with music!

09:06 PM Jul 26 2012 |

handwriter

handwriter

Norway

:)  jeje  Then again, if my ‘true colors’ were to bare, I’d probably be seen as being a bit color blind.  So eat up, talk it up or whatever color have you, and be #00FFFF.

08:39 PM Jul 26 2012 |

Irene Forever

Ukraine

Hahaha To eat something until I’m blue in my face?!  Never! I don’t know any food  that can make me so crazy that I won’t be able to feel a limit.

We say about those people who eat a lot of food, they have a pit instead of stomach.:)))

08:06 PM Jul 26 2012 |

1 person likes this

handwriter

handwriter

Norway

Then the expression might be better served by ‘green’ – she ate until she was green-faced (sickly).  But again, I am not trying to correct anyone or to criticize – I mean to say, whatever color one might care to be is peachy with me.

07:42 PM Jul 26 2012 |

aioda

aioda

Yemen

i work hard untill i was blue in the face and then go to be early.

07:29 PM Jul 26 2012 |

Hairfly

Hairfly

Brazil

I’m like dancing until I was blue in the face but in this days I just have workin a lot of time and studying too ;0

06:19 PM Jul 26 2012 |

handwriter

handwriter

Norway

Umm, actually, I think that the expression means that of having to tell someone to do something until you are blue in the face.  If you say or shout something until you are blue in the face, you are wasting your efforts because you will be talking to a wall type object or objects.  As well, one could argue a point until he or she were blue in the face.  But I guess that that is the beauty of flexibility – if one is understood, that is the point of communicating – good or bad – blue or whatever other color.  Now true, on could eat until he or she were blue in the face due to having swallowed a huge piece of a juicy, rare-cooked steak that got lodged down into the windpipe due to having argued about what was the best way to cook a steak until he or she became blue in face, coughed, choked – lodging the chunk of flesh down in to the wrong pipe – now he or she would be ‘doubly-blued’ for more reasons than one.  

06:11 PM Jul 26 2012 |

i love life

Palestinian Territory, Occupied

I Have been working since a long time , I have never do something forced on myself , I prefer to do my best work when I have a big desire to work .

I can’t wait the next summer I will try to visit my favourite country france .

For me It would be nice If my dreams has became true .

04:18 PM Jul 26 2012 |

qassm

Saudi Arabia

i can do something i like it until i feel ill sleep

03:37 PM Jul 26 2012 |

Likes (17):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter